Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a lot of side-to-side (crosswind feeling) at parking lot speeds in my Liberty despite total front end and bushing replacement. It's tight as brand new.

Could it be because I have Goodyear Comfortred Touring passenger tires on it that have thin sidewalls?

And is this partly why the Rengade comes with LT tires? Are those sidewalls thicker and avoid this "crosswind" instability?

I hesitate to choose or even put passenger tires on the Renegade.

·
Super Moderator
3,597 Posts
I'm getting a lot of side-to-side (crosswind feeling) at parking lot speeds in my Liberty despite total front end and bushing replacement. It's tight as brand new.

Could it be because I have Goodyear Comfortred Touring passenger tires on it that have thin sidewalls?

And is this partly why the Rengade comes with LT tires? Are those sidewalls thicker and avoid this "crosswind" instability?

I hesitate to choose or even put passenger tires on the Renegade.
Describe a crosswind feeling? My interpretation of the above either means the feeling of a sustained shove form one direction long term (i.e. I drive something with the cross section of a barn in directional wind), or I get the feeling of lateral steering feedback that varies buy wants to overwhelm my steering inputs.

For the first interpretation, my knee jerk response is 1) tightening up the steering and suspension geometry will actually return turn-in response or crown snesitivity to factory spec, which is usually more snesitive than after you have put a lot of wear on it. 2) Did they do the alignment work one should do aftrer performing work like that. 3) Did someone competent run the alignment work, or was it the usual situation of a monkey with enough knowledge to run the machine and fix nothing and more likley make things worse? 4) what's your current wheel and tire weight vs stock? cars that have a setup that turns in quick and is sensitive to road crown shape will often exhibit it even more when you reduce unsprung weight below stock. If that is the case, it may be the tires to the extent that they are lighter than stock. 5) Are any of the calipers binding? If they never fully let go, especially in the rear it feels like getting pushed off centerline by something.

For the second interpretation, I'd look at the wheels and or brakes. 1) Are the wheels bent? Usually for something less vibration and more wobble, it not a lot of bending, but more slight bending cuasing excessive runout but not obvious damage. 2) are any of the brake calipers binding intermittently, but actually letting go. This feels more like catching a gust of wind sometimes.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The crosswind sensation is a mild side-to-side movement that is not evident in a straight line but when going over waves in the road, uneven pavement, or worse uneven pavement in a turn. Not exaggerated at all, just mildly present.

And yes, started with these new tires. Tires checked out true. New rotors, hubs, etc all the way to the tranny and up thru the strut mounts. New rear shocks as well. All the rubber is rock solid. I do my own work. Dealer aligned.

But looking at these tires at the Goodyear dealer, the sidewall is VERY thin and I was just wondering if the Liberty would act different with LT tires.

Hence the wonderment of if the Renegade would act different with P tires vs its LT tires and why Jeep chose LTs for such a lightweight vehicle.

Not ready to change tires but i may go Yokohama Geolander for both Jeeps when the opportunity arises.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hence the wonderment of if the Renegade would act different with P tires vs its LT tires and why Jeep chose LTs for such a lightweight vehicle.
Great question, I've been wondering about this as well. I've been searching for alternative tires that would fit a 16" rim.

Regarding, the LT question, when I look at Goodyear's specs for the Trailhawk tire, it is a P, not an LT, P215/65R17.
http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-sr-a/sizes-specs

Where have you seen reference to the Renegade having LT tires?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where have you seen reference to the Renegade having LT tires?
Ugh. I've seen so much on the Renegade. I'm looking for the source. But it really stood out I remembered it. Gimme a little time. It could be a bad source too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.