Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Turbo, cruise control, start/stop, lanesense problem (and they're all connected)

18K views 33 replies 22 participants last post by  Archerm 
#1 ·
This is for @Jeep Jon as he asked about the one problem I mentioned over in New Member Introductions. I'll still post a proper review soon - I've got a Jungle Green, 75th Anniversary, 1.4 MultiAir II, Automatic (and I love it). I'll tell the whole story of the problem in detail as it happened, just in case anyone else hits the same or similar issue.

In August after 2 months of happy use on a particular day the Renegade seemed a bit sluggish as I pulled away from the house, then thing seemed fine. Later in the day the engine check warning came on. I called my dealer, booked it in for a checkup, took it over while I waited for an hour. They said it was was a turbo sensor issue, but they weren’t sure if it was an actual fault or a sensor fault. They reset it, took it for a test drive - everything was fine and they handed it back to me. Over the next few days the cruise control would stop working intermittently. On one day it worked for about 20 minutes, and then came up with a message to say cruise control off. The speed limiter was always working. On the next day I noticed the car felt sluggish but then seemed OK. I started to worry a little, but thought I'd run it for a few days and watch carefully then take it back to the dealer. Two days later I made a long run to Brighton and the car wasn’t accelerating as usual - I started to think maybe the turbo had stopped working? On the drive back the engine check light came on. Then Start/Stop was disabled and cruise control wasn’t working again. I called the dealer to book it in, but they were down to one ramp (because of some redevelopment work) and a big backlog, so it was booked in for 6 days time with a proviso that if anything major happened they'd get the car picked up and sorted straight away. Two days after that the engine check righted itself, check light off, turbo working fine, accelerating as usual, cruise control working. Then the day before it was due at the garage the engine check light came on, the car was sluggish, cruise control wasn’t working, so back to the same problem. I also noticed that LaneSense had been disabled - I might not have noticed if this happened before. In it went for the day, and I was given a Black Lattitude, 2WD Diesel, Auto as my courtesy car. Lower spec than my 75th, but still OK to be seen in a Renegade, rather than some family saloon with the dealer name on the side (which was what I was expecting!).

Initially the guys at Palmers thought the Turbo needed replacing and started pricing that up as a Warranty job (not cheap for them). Then they thought again and started testing properly as they could see that the various faults were all intermittent and maybe they were connected some way, connection being the operative word. It took them well over 3 hours of testing and trying things until they found a c-clip underneath which had never been seated properly or secured properly at the factory. This clip connects the turbo, but also links 8 or 9 other control modules for the cruise control, start/stop etc.. It was hanging in place connecting and disconnecting and tripping the other modules. Once they found it, it was simple matter of seating it, securing it properly and road testing.

All fixed. I've got my Renegade back and I'm only slightly irritated with some Italian worker who didn't do their job properly, and pleased that Palmers did do a proper, thorough job. The rest of the build quality on my Renegade seems to be excellent.

See less See more
#3 ·
Am I the only one to read this feeling mildly concerned, getting worse, turning into despair!

And relief by the end of the post! :)

Glad this simple issue got fixed and the mechanics so diligent - you're lucky to have a good service team. I find with new cars it's always simple things that go wrong. But it's very hard to take anything away from a beautiful Renegade that's well built. If the worse of problems happen I'll just get it fixed on warranty, but touch wood, going with no issues nearly 1,000 miles in (800 or so).

Thanks for the detailed explanation so we know what to look out for @david_terrar

#24 ·
C Clip Location

Hi!

Regarding the loose C Clip causing issues with turbo, cruise control etc. Can you recall where the C Clip is on the jeep to fix it? I'm having the same issue. Sorry for the random message, I'm going mad trying to solve it!
C Clip Location

Hi!

Regarding the loose C Clip causing issues with turbo, cruise control etc. Can you recall where the C Clip is on the jeep to fix it? I'm having the same issue. Sorry for the random message, I'm going mad trying to solve it!
expand...
Where is this c clip located. Thanks

#8 ·
I have bought a 2016 limited and the same issues are happening with mine. Turbo sometimes drops out so revs like crazy in first few gears. Has bad turbo lag at any speed as seems to always drop into high gear and won’t kick down gears when needed. The cruise works sometimes but found when getting onto freeway or higher speeds it turns off and won’t turn back on until car sits for a day or so.

#10 ·
… It took them well over 3 hours of testing and trying things until they found a c-clip underneath which had never been seated properly or secured properly at the factory. This clip connects the turbo, but also links 8 or 9 other control modules for the cruise control, start/stop etc.. It was hanging in place connecting and disconnecting and tripping the other modules. Once they found it, it was simple matter of seating it, securing it properly and road testing ...
Hi, same car, same symptoms here. Turbo seems like its not there, cruise control not working. Start sand stop intermittent. Can somebody please be more specific about the location and look of this c-clip mentioned by @david_terrar ? Many thanks to everybody for all your useful comments

PG

#16 ·
Hello, same problem, turbo stops working from time to time and cruise control doesnt work at the same time neither. I went to authorized service twice, they never fixed it, only said they fixed it because the engine control light wants on anymore. My renagade is at unofficial service now, where they found out that the blades of the turbine in the turbo are getting stuck from time to time. Could that be the same issue?

#11 ·
My 2015 1.4 also started doing this today - the turbo is just not there. Lane sense has been giving issues for a while as well. Stop/ start also not working.

I am replacing the battery as it never seems to show more than 50% charge. My alfa mito also had weird electrical problems and the dealership recommended to first try replace the battery if it seems worn.

#13 ·
My 2015 1.4 also started doing this today - the turbo is just not there. Lane sense has been giving issues for a while as well. Stop/ start also not working.

I am replacing the battery as it never seems to show more than 50% charge. My alfa mito also had weird electrical problems and the dealership recommended to first try replace the battery if it seems worn.
The issues with the turbo was related to the actuator that just needed adjustment! Check out those instructions to set it to 13mm.
The battery change seems to have resolved the stop/start issue

#12 ·
Hi, does anyone have a fix for these problems? This week, while driving, our 2016 Renegade suddenly came up with all of the following messages at once; one after the next:

FCW limited functionality check front camera
Low Tyre pressure (front left) - [that went away].
LaneSense Disconnected
Sound system unavailable
Side Distance Warning check Side Dist Warn
ParkSense currently unavailable

The car seems to drive just fine and the sound system is working fine as well. The windscreen is clean and not damaged.

Does anyone know at what point all these systems converge? I guess there must be a loose connection somewhere? I have spoken to Jeep but they don't really know the Renegade at all. They have offered to take it in for a few hours of diagnostics at £144 per hour but I can't afford that.

I have read lots of reports of the same problems with the Jeep Renegade and also the Fiat 500x which looks to share a lot of systems - but no solutions at all.

Can anybody help?

Thank you

#17 ·
This is for @Jeep Jon as he asked about the one problem I mentioned over in New Member Introductions. I'll still post a proper review soon - I've got a Jungle Green, 75th Anniversary, 1.4 MultiAir II, Automatic (and I love it). I'll tell the whole story of the problem in detail as it happened, just in case anyone else hits the same or similar issue.

In August after 2 months of happy use on a particular day the Renegade seemed a bit sluggish as I pulled away from the house, then thing seemed fine. Later in the day the engine check warning came on. I called my dealer, booked it in for a checkup, took it over while I waited for an hour. They said it was was a turbo sensor issue, but they weren’t sure if it was an actual fault or a sensor fault. They reset it, took it for a test drive - everything was fine and they handed it back to me. Over the next few days the cruise control would stop working intermittently. On one day it worked for about 20 minutes, and then came up with a message to say cruise control off. The speed limiter was always working. On the next day I noticed the car felt sluggish but then seemed OK. I started to worry a little, but thought I'd run it for a few days and watch carefully then take it back to the dealer. Two days later I made a long run to Brighton and the car wasn’t accelerating as usual - I started to think maybe the turbo had stopped working? On the drive back the engine check light came on. Then Start/Stop was disabled and cruise control wasn’t working again. I called the dealer to book it in, but they were down to one ramp (because of some redevelopment work) and a big backlog, so it was booked in for 6 days time with a proviso that if anything major happened they'd get the car picked up and sorted straight away. Two days after that the engine check righted itself, check light off, turbo working fine, accelerating as usual, cruise control working. Then the day before it was due at the garage the engine check light came on, the car was sluggish, cruise control wasn’t working, so back to the same problem. I also noticed that LaneSense had been disabled - I might not have noticed if this happened before. In it went for the day, and I was given a Black Lattitude, 2WD Diesel, Auto as my courtesy car. Lower spec than my 75th, but still OK to be seen in a Renegade, rather than some family saloon with the dealer name on the side (which was what I was expecting!).

Initially the guys at Palmers thought the Turbo needed replacing and started pricing that up as a Warranty job (not cheap for them). Then they thought again and started testing properly as they could see that the various faults were all intermittent and maybe they were connected some way, connection being the operative word. It took them well over 3 hours of testing and trying things until they found a c-clip underneath which had never been seated properly or secured properly at the factory. This clip connects the turbo, but also links 8 or 9 other control modules for the cruise control, start/stop etc.. It was hanging in place connecting and disconnecting and tripping the other modules. Once they found it, it was simple matter of seating it, securing it properly and road testing.

All fixed. I've got my Renegade back and I'm only slightly irritated with some Italian worker who didn't do their job properly, and pleased that Palmers did do a proper, thorough job. The rest of the build quality on my Renegade seems to be excellent.
I feel I have similar issues with my 2016 Renegade Limited. Would love to know the location of this C-clip.

#18 ·

Where is this c clip located. Thanks Eddy

#20 ·
Had to send my Renegade back to Cinch in the end. Had taken it to a dealer and it came up with £4K worth of repairs (including knackered turbo) which Cinch didn't fancy paying for under 90 day warranty ! However, in their defence they did re-imburse me all monies including expenses. Very sad as I loved the vehicle, so much so that I am willing to consider getting another. Have heard that pre 2018 engines were dodgy though and that the new one is far better, so will be looking for a newer one. Anybody else heard this ? Also a bit worrying that the Renegade is a WHICH ? "don't buy" !!

#21 ·

Hi can you tell me where I can find this clip

#23 ·

expand...
Where is this c clip located. Thanks

#32 ·
Hi David we are having the same issue with our jeep and read your post about it being a C clip some years ago. Are you able to tell us where this was located, maybe a photo? It would be very much appreciated as the dealers are charging an arm and leg to try to diagnose the issue which is intermittent. Kind regards. Mandy

#34 ·
I don't think this picture is what David_Terrar was actually referring to as he said ....This clip connects the turbo, but also links 8 or 9 other control modules for the cruise control, start/stop etc.. It was hanging in place connecting and disconnecting and tripping the other modules.... The clip in the photo doesn't appear to have any wires connected. So I was asking David who was the original poster where it was on his car. If anyone else knows please advise. Thanks Mandy