Jeep Renegade Forum banner

41 - 60 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I have my dash speakers on the way. I am going to start there for now. How was the sound difference in the dash speakers after the switch? I went with Polk speakers, this is brand I have been going with when swapping out oem speakers.

Thanks
I think the dash speakers made the most difference in clarity.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Did my dash speakers yesterday. Purchased the Polk DB351. Very simple! And you are right Gatorade, they made a big difference. I could barely tell with my stock speakers if they were on or not, but after the swap, I have a lot of sound coming from them now, great highs! Very good investment....on to the doors

·
Registered
285 Posts
Did my dash speakers yesterday. Purchased the Polk DB351. Very simple! And you are right Gatorade, they made a big difference. I could barely tell with my stock speakers if they were on or not, but after the swap, I have a lot of sound coming from them now, great highs! Very good investment....on to the doors
Were the Polk speakers a perfect swap for the originals or did you need an adapter?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
For that reason alone, I'm glad I didn't take the extra trouble to do component speakers in the doors. I think the newly upgraded dash speakers do a good enough job of separating mids and highs.

·
Registered
184 Posts
For that reason alone, I'm glad I didn't take the extra trouble to do component speakers in the doors. I think the newly upgraded dash speakers do a good enough job of separating mids and highs.
I don't know about you, but I just about died laughing when I took out the dash speakers. I have a better speaker in my smart phone! The thing weighed about 2 ounces and was just a cone, no wonder I had trouble hearing it. Even though both speakers were the same 3 1/2" size, the Polk's were much bigger over all height and magnet wise didn't think I would be able to get the cover back on, but it fit beautifully!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Polk Audio is getting some business! I just ordered the Polk DB351 speakers and the wiring adapter. Can't wait to do this upgrade! Thanks to all for the inspiration!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Polk Audio is getting some business! I just ordered the Polk DB351 speakers and the wiring adapter. Can't wait to do this upgrade! Thanks to all for the inspiration!
Post your thoughts when you get them installed, I'm sure you will be pleased.

FYI: The Polk's come with Bass blockers (2 big Black resistors in a little bag) I didn't install these and I think they sound fine the way they are. If you read the reviews on these speakers some people install them and some don't. I figured I would install them as is and see if they sounded alright before adding the blockers. Sounds fine to me without them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I hope those dash speakers help, my opinion is my my 9 speaker sounds bad way to tinny and the EQ controls don't change the sound much at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Got my rear doors installed.
They are focal 2 way component with passive crossovers.

They are not amped yet so the sound is clean but definitely under powered.

Amp wiring is on order so figured I'd at least get the mounts done for the amp next weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was finally able to put my speakers in this evening. Since I found that the 9 speaker sound run's different impendences through various channels, I ended up ordering two different Infinity speakers to test out.

JL 3.5 are in the dash and sound wonderful compared to the stock ones, and with the installed bass blockers you only hear the bright notes that once were missing...especially with the silk dome CS model.

On to the 6x9...just to confirm these run at 2 ohm meaning that you can put 4ohm speakers in the door, but they will take twice as much power to run them..meaning that an average of 40 watts to the door..means 20 watts to the 4 ohm... hence when I installed the JL 6x9...although they were clear..they were significantly quieter than the stock....

So finding 2 ohm speakers are hard to do..I choose the Reference and Kappa versions of Infinity.. Kappa being the fancier, albeit better built speaker upgrade. You can see the kappa on the left, and the silver reference on the right.

The reference was about $80 on amazon, and the Kappa $120-140 based on the day... of course i paid the $140..and now they are lower :(

Anyways... speaker preference is all in what you are looking for. For the price, the Reference will be a great choice for many Renegades...as they offer a bright and clear sound that the stock is missing..however at high volumes they are not as clear as i would like them. And fyi...the reference dont fit our door openings as well.

The kappa's are built with higher quality materials and are built to handle more power. They are not as bright as the reference and I think with more power, they would sound even better. However I felt as though the reproduce a cleaner sound..and at loud volumes..they were crazy good.

In the end, I am keeping both lol....I put the Kappas in the front, and plan to put the reference in the rear..that way they can help fill the space.

Word to the wise...the Kappa's came with little "Infinity" emblems that I put on the door...dont know if i am in love with them..but they are shiny!

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
The 3.5" dash speakers arrived along with the adapter. I had them both installed in about 15 min. The difference is amazing! Much crisper with a little added mid-range. I can't wait to do the door speakers. I wish they were as easy to swap as the dash speakers!

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just as a note for anyone with a 4 speaker system
My factory 4 speaker setup has 4 ohm speakers in the doors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 284 Posts