Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about 24 hours into being a 2016 Jeep Renegade Latitude owner.
I have two questions. I've been searching the internet, and can't find an answer. The manual has nothing about either one of them, which is really disappointing.
1) I have the keyless start package. Today, I was at the dealer, he was "showing" me the features of the car. There was a remote in the cup holder, the engine was running, drivers door was open. I had the other remote on my hip at the tailgate. He closed the tailgate, and it reopened. He did this several times, the lights flashed as well. It wouldn't let him close the tailgate, until he closed the drivers door. He said he had never seen that before, maybe someone has an idea? Perhaps the system was confused with the two fobs so close to the vehicle? This is my first keyless vehicle, so it's all new to me.
2) Not even 24 hours of being home with the new ride, I set the alarm off. I'm sure my neighbors were thrilled. The problem is, I don't understand why? I had the tailgate open, I hit the "lock" (I guess?) button on the tailgate. The lights flashed several times pretty quick. So I pressed it again, expecting it to lock the doors, and the horn starts blaring. I pressed it again, nothing. Hit the buttons on the remote, nothing. Started the engine, still blaring. So I got out and hit the button again, and the horn finally shut off. Is that a panic button? Is it a panic button while it's open, and a lock button when it's shut? The only thing the manual says, is it's a lock button. I would really prefer not to do that again. lol
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'm about 24 hours into being a 2016 Jeep Renegade Latitude owner.
I have two questions. I've been searching the internet, and can't find an answer. The manual has nothing about either one of them, which is really disappointing.
1) I have the keyless start package. Today, I was at the dealer, he was "showing" me the features of the car. There was a remote in the cup holder, the engine was running, drivers door was open. I had the other remote on my hip at the tailgate. He closed the tailgate, and it reopened. He did this several times, the lights flashed as well. It wouldn't let him close the tailgate, until he closed the drivers door. He said he had never seen that before, maybe someone has an idea? Perhaps the system was confused with the two fobs so close to the vehicle? This is my first keyless vehicle, so it's all new to me.
2) Not even 24 hours of being home with the new ride, I set the alarm off. I'm sure my neighbors were thrilled. The problem is, I don't understand why? I had the tailgate open, I hit the "lock" (I guess?) button on the tailgate. The lights flashed several times pretty quick. So I pressed it again, expecting it to lock the doors, and the horn starts blaring. I pressed it again, nothing. Hit the buttons on the remote, nothing. Started the engine, still blaring. So I got out and hit the button again, and the horn finally shut off. Is that a panic button? Is it a panic button while it's open, and a lock button when it's shut? The only thing the manual says, is it's a lock button. I would really prefer not to do that again. lol
Thanks in advance.
I have learned it is very easy to set the alarm off just by having the keys in your pocket, and while most other cars will shut off after hitting the lock button on the remote, that will not work with the renegade. Fastest way to shut the alarm off is to tap the PANIC button again.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've hit the rather large panic button while the key fob was in my pocket several times and there is, my guess, about 100 yard range.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the tailgate issue as well at the dealership. We never could figure out how to get it to latch. We went inside for some drinks and to call a tech, came outside and it latched fine. I think there's a bug with the proximity of the key fob. If it happens again to you, just walk away... go inside... and maybe this will solve it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.