Jeep Renegade Forum banner

TX Road Trips

7K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Trailmux 
#1 ·
Would love to hear where other local folks are traveling to in their Renegades. Have any favorite TX destinations? Backroads or side trips that are interesting? Please share 'em.

#4 ·
Im trying to find excuses to drive my TH. Except for work, as I dont want to start transferring tires around in my brand new interior!! once me and the lady have a day off, im taking her around Canyon Lake, devils backbone area, perhaps find a large dirt play area to drift around a little hopefully!

#11 ·
I went out to a friend's ranch near Fredericksburg this past weekend. To get to the camping site we had to go down some severely rutted dirt roads, and I was really surprised at how well the Renegade handled all the dips and rocks. It was a rather smooth ride, as compared to my Dodge 2500 4x4 truck that I usually take out there. I did take the Renegade out on the property a bit, including a drive around the rim of the stock tank (and down the rim on the far side) and out across a few fields; took it all in stride like a champ. I was kinda hoping for some rain to test out the 4WD, but I had to settle for a few dry hills and lots of dust!

#12 ·
Tried going to Enchanted Rock yesterday but the park was over capacity by the time I arrived with a half mile long line of cars outside the gate. So, I put Pedernales Falls into the Uconnect and the route between the two parks is a scenic hour long drive on a nice afternoon.

Apparently it's part of an official state driving trail: http://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wildlife/wildlife-trails/

Left earlier this morning and got in. Enjoyed some good hiking in these parks despite the heat. This morning the clouds and breeze really made the ERock trip worth it. I need to take a weekend and camp overnight there since it's a dark sky park.

Some older and recent pics of Pedernales Falls: https://www.flickr.com/photos/9549434@N03/sets/72157673429196095/

Pics from Enchanted Rock: https://www.flickr.com/photos/9549434@N03/sets/72157670231434774/

Two state parks in two days. My Trailhawk performed well except for the fuel efficiency. I'm not seeing the 29mpg highway that was advertised. More like 25 hwy on average.

#13 ·
If you're in the Austin area I'd recommend driving up to Marble Falls for a nice day trip. Once you're on 183 you just turn onto 1431 and travel about 40 miles to Marble Falls. The road changes from 2 lanes each direction down to one, not much traffic there (at least on the weekends) and really nice slow sweeping curves over the hill country surrounded by trees. Balcones Nature Reserve is on the way with a sunset deck that offers a fantastic view. We took the route yesterday and had a reservation on the patio at River City Grill, the view and food were both excellent.

Attachments

#17 ·
Ha! Sorry about the pics missing the dusty Renegade I won't make that mistake again.

I'm actually planning on going to Hidden Falls this Saturday with some of the AJP and DarkSide Jeepers group. It'll be a light newbie run and I'm looking forward to playing around with it and not going too crazy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.