Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would love to hear where other local folks are traveling to in their Renegades. Have any favorite TX destinations? Backroads or side trips that are interesting? Please share 'em.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've driven all up and down the hill country. A particularly nice route was 281 all the way down from Stephenville to San Antonio.

Also have gone down to Port Aransas and Garner State Park. Planning a hiking/camping trip to Lost Maples in a few weeks! :)

·
Registered
715 Posts
Im trying to find excuses to drive my TH. Except for work, as I dont want to start transferring tires around in my brand new interior!! once me and the lady have a day off, im taking her around Canyon Lake, devils backbone area, perhaps find a large dirt play area to drift around a little hopefully!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Carlsbad Caverns, Albuquerque, Flagstaff, the Grand Canyon, Zion National Park, Santa Fe.
Sounds blissful. How many days were you away? You covered a lot of ground. B&B? Camp? Hotel/Motel?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sounds blissful. How many days were you away? You covered a lot of ground. B&B? Camp? Hotel/Motel?
11 days total. Left on a Thursday, came back on a Sunday. It was a blast. Stayed in a hotel in Albuquerque after Carlsbad Caverns. Camped at the Grand Canyon. Stayed at a small hotel called Flanigan's Inn at Zion. Then a hotel in Santa Fe on the way back. I highly recommend everyone I talk to to experience Zion and the GC at some point in their life. You can see all the pictures in the world but nothing can do any of it justice. Was a lot of driving and I was a little worried that something would go wrong but the Renegade was flawless.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
11 days total...I highly recommend everyone I talk to to experience Zion and the GC at some point in their life. You can see all the pictures in the world but nothing can do any of it justice.
I’m always looking for nice roads to explore. I went on a small shake-down drive a couple of weeks ago. Took 183 N to Lampasas for breakfast, then headed back S on 207/1174/29 to Bertram. Love love love small roads with no people on ‘em. And friendly loose livestock.

I’ve started a list of TX microbreweries and pubs to visit. I was happy to learn there are a lot of them.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just came back from camping yesterday... went US-90 to Uvalde and up Hwy 55 to Camp Wood, TX... nice drive especially once you get into the hills. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I went out to a friend's ranch near Fredericksburg this past weekend. To get to the camping site we had to go down some severely rutted dirt roads, and I was really surprised at how well the Renegade handled all the dips and rocks. It was a rather smooth ride, as compared to my Dodge 2500 4x4 truck that I usually take out there. I did take the Renegade out on the property a bit, including a drive around the rim of the stock tank (and down the rim on the far side) and out across a few fields; took it all in stride like a champ. I was kinda hoping for some rain to test out the 4WD, but I had to settle for a few dry hills and lots of dust!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Tried going to Enchanted Rock yesterday but the park was over capacity by the time I arrived with a half mile long line of cars outside the gate. So, I put Pedernales Falls into the Uconnect and the route between the two parks is a scenic hour long drive on a nice afternoon.

Apparently it's part of an official state driving trail: http://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wildlife/wildlife-trails/

Left earlier this morning and got in. Enjoyed some good hiking in these parks despite the heat. This morning the clouds and breeze really made the ERock trip worth it. I need to take a weekend and camp overnight there since it's a dark sky park.

Some older and recent pics of Pedernales Falls: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157673429196095/

Pics from Enchanted Rock: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157670231434774/

Two state parks in two days. My Trailhawk performed well except for the fuel efficiency. I'm not seeing the 29mpg highway that was advertised. More like 25 hwy on average.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you're in the Austin area I'd recommend driving up to Marble Falls for a nice day trip. Once you're on 183 you just turn onto 1431 and travel about 40 miles to Marble Falls. The road changes from 2 lanes each direction down to one, not much traffic there (at least on the weekends) and really nice slow sweeping curves over the hill country surrounded by trees. Balcones Nature Reserve is on the way with a sunset deck that offers a fantastic view. We took the route yesterday and had a reservation on the patio at River City Grill, the view and food were both excellent.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
I agree, a Renegade should be in least one of the pics :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ha! Sorry about the pics missing the dusty Renegade I won't make that mistake again.

I'm actually planning on going to Hidden Falls this Saturday with some of the AJP and DarkSide Jeepers group. It'll be a light newbie run and I'm looking forward to playing around with it and not going too crazy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts