Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those have bought the 6.5, if you had to do it all over again is the extra cost worth it?

I recently found out I could get a pretty good deal on any FCA models via work, even on special orders. So I'm refining my research. The larger screen of the 6.5 is certainly nice (and the smaller buttons look so much better than the cheapish looking 5.0 unit). The thing is I'm not sure the increased complexity of the 6.5 is a good thing. I already use my phone for all of my navigation needs. Satellite radio is not a big deal to me either (road trips and long drives are not common). Yelp and other app capabilities are also not important. So, I guess what I'm trying to determine is whether the larger screen is that much more user-friendly... enough to justify the price hike.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My 2012 Focus had a 8" display and my g/f's Jeep has a 8.4. Going to the 6.5 display was an adjustment, couldn't imagine using the 5.0 Uconnect.

One thing that irked me when looking into both was the 5.0 doesn't display the name of the radio stations, only the numbers. IE 34 is Lithium, but the 5.0 only shows channel 34, no indication of Lithium. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

The 6.5 has navigation which is nice, but generally inferior to services such as Google Maps. Also Sirius Travel Link sucks; It's screwed me over with wrong forecasts while travelling, don't ever get it for that.

Is it worth the $1200 option for a bigger display and GPS? If it's in your budget, but if it weren't I'm sure I would have been fine with the Uconnect 5.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I wanted to get the basic uconnect 3, but no where in my area had one. Oh sure, I would have lost the bluetooth, but it has a USB port, so I could have just plugged my phone in and it would have done the same thing. (while charging the phone btw)

nav? just use your phone's gps and let it do the turn by turn voice commands. Ive always thought that having a nav screen not on your windshield was unsafe, taking your eyes off the road to check the screen seems dumb.

That said, I like the backup cam, but I could have lived without it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
One thing that irked me when looking into both was the 5.0 doesn't display the name of the radio stations, only the numbers. IE 34 is Lithium, but the 5.0 only shows channel 34, no indication of Lithium. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).
the screen above the steering wheel displays radio song names, depending on the station. It is kind of stupid that the actual console screen doesn't display it though.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Also wanted to add my g/f has a Grand Cherokee and the 6.5 interface is pretty close to hers which was a perk.

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
My 2012 Focus had a 8" display and my g/f's Jeep has a 8.4. Going to the 6.5 display was an adjustment, couldn't imagine using the 5.0 Uconnect.

The 6.5 has navigation which is nice, but generally inferior to services such as Google Maps. Also Sirius Travel Link sucks; It's screwed me over with wrong forecasts while travelling, don't ever get it for that.

Is it worth the $1200 option for a bigger display and GPS? If it's in your budget, but if it weren't I'm sure I would have been fine with the Uconnect 5.
You're wrong. The 5.0 displays station names and song titles.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Those have bought the 6.5, if you had to do it all over again is the extra cost worth it?

I recently found out I could get a pretty good deal on any FCA models via work, even on special orders. So I'm refining my research. The larger screen of the 6.5 is certainly nice (and the smaller buttons look so much better than the cheapish looking 5.0 unit). The thing is I'm not sure the increased complexity of the 6.5 is a good thing. I already use my phone for all of my navigation needs. Satellite radio is not a big deal to me either (road trips and long drives are not common). Yelp and other app capabilities are also not important. So, I guess what I'm trying to determine is whether the larger screen is that much more user-friendly... enough to justify the price hike.
Not worth it its easier using a phone or a separate gps its nice but its a little complex and in the end its just to get people to spend more money on crap as the main feature of the 6.5in display is uconnect access which requires a subscription after a year not cheap ether I suppose if u dive into the system and learn all u can do with it and use all its features it can be worth it your choice the interface is one of the best on the market amongst American companies

·
Registered
604 Posts
My 5.0 is the first touchscreen system I've ever had in a car, so I may not know what I'm missing, but I love it.

I never had satellite radio before, and I really enjoy it. And mine does display station and song info. It does NOT display the station name for FM stations, but the instrument cluster display does.

I have a usb drive with about 25GB of mp3's plugged in, and the uConnect system makes it very easy to browse the folders, the shuffle function works exactly like it should (shuffles only among files in the folder you're in), and it recognizes and supports Windows Media Player playlist files. The Bluetooth music streaming integrates perfectly with Google Play on the phone as well.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My 5.0 is the first touchscreen system I've ever had in a car, so I may not know what I'm missing, but I love it.

I never had satellite radio before, and I really enjoy it. And mine does display station and song info. It does NOT display the station name for FM stations, but the instrument cluster display does.

I have a usb drive with about 25GB of mp3's plugged in, and the uConnect system makes it very easy to browse the folders, the shuffle function works exactly like it should (shuffles only among files in the folder you're in), and it recognizes and supports Windows Media Player playlist files. The Bluetooth music streaming integrates perfectly with Google Play on the phone as well.
Thanks for this review. I have satellite in my truck and I just can't listen to normal radio anymore. So I HAD to have satellite in my Renegade, but I couldn't order the 6.5 with Nav on my 2016 Latitude (supposedly not available until June 2016). So it'll be coming with the 5.0. I've also never had Nav in a vehicle or a touch screen, so I won't know what I'm missing either. But you've helped ease some fears. Thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have it in my limited, I do like it, only had basic radio with a cd player in the wrangler. No nav before, so nice to have it now. Especially living in the rural area I'm in, Uconnecct is cool to find places when we're out 'driving new territories' lol...but don't know if I'll pay 150/yr for it....lol...sirius or reg radio, doesn't matter to me....I LOVE plugging in the ipod though.....I like the larger screen cuz, well they eyes like it better! LOL...

·
Registered
196 Posts
So on the 6.5, what exactly does it do that requires costly subscription? I am assuming nav figures don't... otherwise that'd be very silly.
sirius/xm radio is different from Uconnect which is what all the radios are called now both the 5in and 6.5 do Sirius/xm now uconnect access is what the 6.5in with nav adds which is basically a way to control your car with your phone and has apps, also gives traffic updates which is extra charge from the standard free navigation, for all the features and what uconnect access is on the 6.5 display visit

http://www.driveuconnect.com/

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
The 5.0 is not too small for back up camera?
Second confirmation for no. The backup camera in the Renegade with the 5.0 works as well as the much larger 8.4 does in my Challenger. You really don't notice the size difference.

·
Registered
364 Posts

I'm a little confused. I'm debating the same 5.0 vs 6.5 right now. I thought satellite radio was only available on the 6.5, but you are saying you have it on the 5.0 model? From what I saw when selecting options on jeep.com, the 5.0 is only listed as AM/FM/BT. It doesn't mention satellite/Sirius? Is it just that Sirius is offered for free for X years on the 6.5, and on 5.0 you can get it, there's just no free trial?

Sirius isn't really anything I need to have, but just want to understand.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.