Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hoping to get some advice. I recently swapped out my Uconnect 5.0 to a used 6.5 unit in my 2017 Latitude. Got the appropriate antennae, did the proxy alignment with AlfaOBD and A6 Grey connector, everything works well. Using the donor vehicle VIN #, I saw on the Uconnect website that my software version (15.21.37) is out of date, and when I downloaded the most current version, the ""files not supported" message appeared.

Went to a local Jeep dealership, and they were unable to do the update, their reason being that the VIN #'s don't jive. When I gave them the donor cars VIN # , evidently that vehicle has been totalled, and is no longer in the FCA/MOPAR database.

Is it possible to update the donor radio in any other fashion? Would changing the new radio's VIN # using AlfaOBD work?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
As far as I understand the updates are for specific models of Uconnect radios that are registered to a specific vehicle eg. My 2015 Jeep has an older radio and will only accept updates that are compatible with that older model.

Think of it in similar terms to updating a PC. Over the years each version of Windows didn't work with older models. Windows 10 wont run on a very old PC.

Under similar circumstances an older Jeep can only receive updates for that model and any current/modern updates will show the "files not supported" message.

Upgrading to a modern radio might work but if I am not mistaken it also needs to get flashed by the Dealership to work with your Jeep as your Jeep only reads the associated current radio.

I get myself tangled up just thinking about my Jeep and that's why I search the forum in the chance that someone has taken the time to properly explain it. Sorry if I am wrong. :eek::cry:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you 4 the input. I was able to update the 6.5 to software version 16.24.31 using another forum user's link. However, any attempt to move to a newer version fail. It's probably a combination firmware/software issue. I'll be heading to another dealer Thursday to try my lot. The 6.5 I installed originally came from a 2015 Rene Limited.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2nd dealer wouldn't help either, again saying the updates are VIN specific. Just baffles me, that even though the head unit is standard FCA equipment in tens of thousands of vehicles, there's no way to update firmware/software for a non-original unit.

·
Registered
620 Posts
2nd dealer wouldn't help either, again saying the updates are VIN specific. Just baffles me, that even though the head unit is standard FCA equipment in tens of thousands of vehicles, there's no way to update firmware/software for a non-original unit.
Is there a specific reason you want the update ? Are you having issues ? Was everything fine until you learned of the update ? Or do you just want the "latest and greatest" ? (I'm of the latest and greatest mindset). If you can't update but everything is kosher, I'd leave it be and not worry about it, after all, it's a radio not a laptop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has it's moments. The guide lines on the back up camera disappear every so often. Randomly skips a song or two when using a USB media drive. Was hoping an update might "tune it up", so to speak.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Personally I use Spotify for my music with no skipped songs. I am old and ancient by modern standards and my Son's laughed and called me a Dinosaur at my belief in using a USB drive. I have grown to accept that reasoning as there are many more ways of listening to music.

Could you use a mobile phone or any other medium that connects via bluetooth? I have read that some people are experiencing issues with media transfer via the USB ports as one or 2 of them are only meant for power and not media transfer. I hold my hands up!!! It was my belief that I could plug into any usb and transfer files.

However the fact remains that you are demonstrating 2 issues with the radio/headset or whatever people want to call it. Skipping songs (no not Malcolm Mclaren) and camera issues indicate that it's not a remedy that can just be plucked out the air.

Looks like it will be a costly seek and repair bill or the easy option is to do as Mudpie suggested and live with it especially as the Dealership cannot assist.

Sorry :cry::cry:

·
Registered
620 Posts
It has it's moments. The guide lines on the back up camera disappear every so often. Randomly skips a song or two when using a USB media drive. Was hoping an update might "tune it up", so to speak.
Sounds like a good plan, one that I'd be chasing, also. That being said, you bought the unit used, maybe the issues you are seeing were with the unit before you bought it, it could've been doing that from the get-go, you'll never know. You may be trying to "un-defect" a defective unit. Oh, I'd be trying, just like you are.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My issue is the inability to update the software/firmware. I bought the Rene brand new, replaced the stock FCA radio head unit with another FCA radio head unit, but can get it updated. The last dealership I went to were fearful of "bricking" the radio, if they installed the incorrect firmware/software. ???

Maybe I'm naive, but I just figured software/firmware would be compatible across the board. The Rene has been great, no other issues, a super winter vehicle. If the 6.5 craps the bed, I can always put the 5.0 back in. I appreciate all the feedback, and I enjoy this forum very much.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I am sure it was commented on the past that you cannot damage the coding on our radios and they they will always revert back to their original default settings if we screw it all up.

It's perhaps worth persevering like Mudpie would do and that's a guy that love to try things out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts