Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I own a Jeep renegade model 2015 with a "UCONNECT® 5.0/RA2".
I read in the manual provided with the car that for security reasons the Uconnect Radio locks in case of theft attempt (or when the car is out of battery) and needs a 4 digit security code to unlock. This 4 digit security code is written on a card which is provided together with the service manual.

Unfortunately when I bought the car, the card with the 4digit security code was not included in the car's service manual.

I contacted my dealer and he advised that the only way to order a new card is to take the Uconnect radio out of my dashboard in order to view the product code (serial number). With the product code they can then order the new Uconnect card with the security code.

Do you know if there is any other method to view the product code without having to take out the Uconnect radio?
Is there any other way to order the 4 digit security card? Maybe I can see this info in the Uconnect System settings? Maybe they can do that if I just give the Vin code of the car?

The car is brand new and I would not want to cause any damage to it, or create any creaking noises in the dashboard etc by taking out the Radio.

Any reply will be very much appreciated.
Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
3,335 Posts
Well 2 things.

1) I have the 5.0, and didn't get any code.

2) I have never seen a manual for the RA2, only the 6.5 system. Not in paper, not on the dvd, not downloadable, nothing. (if anyone has a link, I'll be glad to look).

Perhaps the code only appies to the 6.5?

Stupid thing talks to the can bus. Why would one need a code, just have it initially pair to the VIN, and then happily let it crank away as long as it is installed int he right vehicle.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well 2 things.

1) I have the 5.0, and didn't get any code.

2) I have never seen a manual for the RA2, only the 6.5 system. Not in paper, not on the dvd, not downloadable, nothing. (if anyone has a link, I'll be glad to look).

Perhaps the code only appies to the 6.5?

Stupid thing talks to the can bus. Why would one need a code, just have it initially pair to the VIN, and then happily let it crank away as long as it is installed int he right vehicle.
That makes me feel a little better...
I have a manual for the Uconnect 5.0 but it is in Greek... :p I will try to find one in English and upload it here for reference.

I am not planning to change radio or install my radio to another vehicle.
I am just worried in case of i.e. a battery failure (change of battery or any case that the vehicle will be out of electrical power), that when I replace the battery and turn on the radio, it will ask for this security code.
If it will just pair itself automatically to the VIN of the car and start working, I have no problem at all.

How sure are you about this?

·
Super Moderator
3,335 Posts
That makes me feel a little better...
I have a manual for the Uconnect 5.0 but it is in Greek... :p I will try to find one in English and upload it here for reference.

I am not planning to change radio or install my radio to another vehicle.
I am just worried in case of i.e. a battery failure (change of battery or any case that the vehicle will be out of electrical power), that when I replace the battery and turn on the radio, it will ask for this security code.
If it will just pair itself automatically to the VIN of the car and start working, I have no problem at all.

How sure are you about this?
Not at all, I just know there are lots of people without the code. As for thinking the secret code thing for a factory installed radio that talks to the BCM over can-bus is stupid.. that I'm 100% sure of.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My father owns the nissan quasqai.
He left the car for about a month without using it and the battery drained out.
I had to jump start the car.
The car turned on just fine but when I switched on the radio, it asked for a 4 digit security code.
Luckily my father had this radio security card in his glove box and I could get the radio working again.

This is what I am afraid that might happen in my renegade. And this is why I opened this thread.
If you ask me, I totally agree with you. As long as the radio is installed in the original car, it should not ask for a security code. The existence of this security code should be only when your radio is stollen and someone tries to install it in a different vehicle.

P.S.: I do not know if the Nissan has can-bus or not.

·
Registered
595 Posts
The card with the radio code was included with my Renegade, and the salesman took it out and showed it to me as we were finalizing the sale. I remember because the four-digit code is the same as the month and day of my birthday! So I figured I was meant to buy this vehicle.

As a bonus, if the card gets lost, there isn't much chance of me forgetting the code.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
This doesn't help with your question, but my 5.0 radio displayed the "enter 4 digit security code" message once a few months ago and the radio was dead (except for the message). When I shut down the car and re-started it, the radio worked normally and I haven't seen that message again.

I carefully looked through all my paperwork and could not find any envelope or paper with the 4 digit code.

·
Registered
607 Posts
The card with the radio code was included with my Renegade, and the salesman took it out and showed it to me as we were finalizing the sale. I remember because the four-digit code is the same as the month and day of my birthday! So I figured I was meant to buy this vehicle.

As a bonus, if the card gets lost, there isn't much chance of me forgetting the code.
Wow what are the chances? That's pretty awesome.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This doesn't help with your question, but my 5.0 radio displayed the "enter 4 digit security code" message once a few months ago and the radio was dead (except for the message). When I shut down the car and re-started it, the radio worked normally and I haven't seen that message again.

I carefully looked through all my paperwork and could not find any envelope or paper with the 4 digit code.
Actually it may be of assistance. Was this message displayed without any particular reason or because you disconnected the battery (or something similar).

I don't really care to get the code if the Uconnect does not need it (as long as it stays connected to my car).

·
Registered
791 Posts
Just checked and the envelope with the code was with the paperwork in the owners kit. The envelope was open and now I remember that a software update was done to my Renegade and the technician said they had to reset the radio after the update. I am glad I saw this thread.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Actually it may be of assistance. Was this message displayed without any particular reason or because you disconnected the battery (or something similar). . .
It happened in my car upon one start up and stayed that way until I turned of the car. The message was gone never to return when I restarted the car. I had no other indications that there was a power loss anywhere (my battery terminals have always been tight).

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a 5.0 radio, code was in a white unmarked envelope received with the owner package. Dealer never mentioned it.
Photos attached.

Renegade Latitude, FWD

Clifton

Attachments

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have a 5.0 radio, code was in a white unmarked envelope received with the owner package. Dealer never mentioned it.
Photos attached.

Renegade Latitude, FWD

Clifton

Thank you for showing us what it looks like, although you probably shouldn't be sharing that on the internet.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Photos attached.

Renegade Latitude, FWD

Clifton

I received nothing like that with my paperwork. Maybe the dealer kept it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Photos attached.

Renegade Latitude, FWD

Clifton
I did not get anything like that, did not even know a code existed.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I believe the dealer has a method of getting the code without removing the radio. The vehicle VIN links to internal FCA systems that have that information.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I believe the dealer has a method of getting the code without removing the radio. The vehicle VIN links to internal FCA systems that have that information.
I really hope so. I have sent an email to FCA. They replied asking for some further info which I provided and I am waiting for their reply.
They opened a case number. If/when I have news, I shall let you know.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The card with my code was printed in Italian and was in a little bag that was taped to the inside of the top of the glovebox. Maybe look around there for it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts