Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Uconnect Upgrade 7" to 8.4 UAQ any information 2020 Renegade

12K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  sajazzman007 
#1 ·
I have a New 2020 Jeep Renegade and i want to upgarde my Uconnect 7" No Navigation to the Uconnect 8.4 UAQ Navagation, but i can not find out any information, and only a bunch of road blocks,
Has anyone done this have any advise ???

#2 ·
I have a New 2020 Jeep Renegade and i want to upgarde my Uconnect 7" No Navigation to the Uconnect 8.4 UAQ Navagation, but i can not find out any information, and only a bunch of road blocks,
Has anyone done this have any advise ???
Bump, I am in the same boat here. Would like to know what we can do to upgrade to the larger Uconnect 8.4.

#3 ·
well i am a guinea pig ( Beta test ) for a company called Infotainment they are building me a 8.4 UAQ as we speak i should have it next week , we are not sure if everything will work , i hope it does, they build these for wranglers and charger , but this is the first Renegade they have ever done ..

i am keeping my fingers crossed .

#8 ·
All the Trailhawks i looked at in 2020 the 8.4 UAQ was included and i looked at many of the
2020 TH But i bought a 2020 Renagde Jeepster and it came with 7" Radio with out Nav, i should have bought a TH
Mine is a 2020 and has the 7" Uconnect. Sticker was right over $30k, after rebates and haggling, paid just over $20k.

#16 ·
Well, hate to take over the OP's post, but I just completed this upgrade. Obtained the UAQ as a hand-me-down so why not. Ordered the new radio bezel online pn 6VM16LXHAA. The bigger screen is actually nice. Really nice! Other than that, didn't gain much over the 7, except Nav, but I use CarPlay/Apple maps mostly anyway. Seems like there are some quircks in the re-programming process, but if anything errors out (making configuration changes) just disconnect from the BCM, power cycle and try again. From the online videos of others doing this conversion, seems like everyone does a Proxy Align immediately after swapping the radio. I did the same and the BCM reported config errors, I assume due to the new radio not matching the BCM. Made the following changes in AlfaOBD-

Car configuration change: Radio Type: ' LEVEL 2 (R1 LOW) ' -> ' LEVEL 4 '
Car configuration change: SDARS Travel Link: ' ABSENT ' -> ' PRESENT '
Car configuration change: Navigation: ' ABSENT ' -> ' PRESENT '
Car configuration change: GPS Dead Reckoning: ' ABSENT ' -> ' PRESENT '

If you have Satellite radio, these should be already enabled-
SDARS: Present
GPS: Present

I have the 3" instrument cluster. The BCM did not like these to be enabled-
Car configuration change: Navigation Info Repetition: ' ABSENT '
Car configuration change: Navigation Info Repetition Menu: ' ABSENT '
If you have done the 7" cluster swap, you could probably switch these to PRESENT.

Cleared all DTC's and did another Proxi Align. All modules completed successfully. Made sure all DTC's were still cleared and power cycled ignition. Radio booted up just fine and I entered the anti-theft code, but no sound. Allowed it to sleep overnight and next morning radio was fully functioning. CarPlay, steering wheel controls, vehicle menus all work like with the previous radio. I'm sure this is just in my head, but the sound quality sounds improved and stronger bass from the sub? The radio is running application QR-39.5.0. I did try to enable Off-Road Pages, but never showed up in the apps.

Gadget Automotive design Font Personal luxury car Audio equipment
Camera accessory Gadget Font Audio equipment Material property
Car Automotive design Vehicle Motor vehicle Personal luxury car

#24 ·
Well, hate to take over the OP's post, but I just completed this upgrade. Obtained the UAQ as a hand-me-down so why not. Ordered the new radio bezel online pn 6VM16LXHAA. The bigger screen is actually nice. Really nice! Other than that, didn't gain much over the 7, except Nav, but I use CarPlay/Apple maps mostly anyway. Seems like there are some quircks in the re-programming process, but if anything errors out (making configuration changes) just disconnect from the BCM, power cycle and try again. From the online videos of others doing this conversion, seems like everyone does a Proxy Align immediately after swapping the radio. I did the same and the BCM reported config errors, I assume due to the new radio not matching the BCM. Made the following changes in AlfaOBD-

Car configuration change: Radio Type: ' LEVEL 2 (R1 LOW) ' -> ' LEVEL 4 '
Car configuration change: SDARS Travel Link: ' ABSENT ' -> ' PRESENT '
Car configuration change: Navigation: ' ABSENT ' -> ' PRESENT '
Car configuration change: GPS Dead Reckoning: ' ABSENT ' -> ' PRESENT '

If you have Satellite radio, these should be already enabled-
SDARS: Present
GPS: Present

I have the 3" instrument cluster. The BCM did not like these to be enabled-
Car configuration change: Navigation Info Repetition: ' ABSENT '
Car configuration change: Navigation Info Repetition Menu: ' ABSENT '
If you have done the 7" cluster swap, you could probably switch these to PRESENT.

Cleared all DTC's and did another Proxi Align. All modules completed successfully. Made sure all DTC's were still cleared and power cycled ignition. Radio booted up just fine and I entered the anti-theft code, but no sound. Allowed it to sleep overnight and next morning radio was fully functioning. CarPlay, steering wheel controls, vehicle menus all work like with the previous radio. I'm sure this is just in my head, but the sound quality sounds improved and stronger bass from the sub? The radio is running application QR-39.5.0. I did try to enable Off-Road Pages, but never showed up in the apps.

View attachment 2396353187 View attachment 2396353188 View attachment 2396353189
I too would like to do this upgrade, now I have a uconnect Continental 7" and I would like to install a uconnect Continental 8.4" no NAV branded Beats Sound on the boot. I wanted to ask if your car doesn't have the beats system, correct? Was this radio you put in part of a Beats system?

#17 ·
The only thing that bugs me is nav database seems to have locked. I'm hoping once I drive it around everything will sync back up since the nav was working when in the donor vehicle. Worst case it detected the VIN change and locked out the map? It shows great satellite signal on 10 satellites and shows the exact coordinates accurately. Just can't or won't show it on the map.
Plant Automotive design Audio equipment Gadget Vehicle audio
Plant Car Vehicle Automotive design Gadget

#20 · (Edited)
Hi @18Rene !

These is a very very useful information. I was just trying to do the same upgrade for my 2020 Sport with Uconnect 7.

This 6VM16LXHAA piece is the plastic frame for the bigger screen?

Which piece code is the 8.4 screen/unit?

And the last, do I need any other additional conector? (I have to bring everything to Argentina)

I've already used AlfaODB for setting the full led headlights, so I believe I won't have problem with this other configuration and proxy aligment 🤞

Thanks in advance!

#21 ·
Correct, that is the larger bezel for the larger radio. The cheapest retailer when I ordered was Liberty Mopar Parts.

Sorry, I don't have the actual part number for the radio, but if you search for UAQ Uconnect or UAQ radio, there are a ton of them. Just make sure the mounting screw holes are on the sides of the radio, not top/bottom. The radios for the charger and challenger will not work, they have top/bottom mounting screws. Also if you can, get a radio with later firmware, I'm on application ver. QR-39.6.0 (software ver 21.14.14).

To keep narrowing down your search, the earlier UAQ radios had problems with screen de-lamination. I think any radio manufactured after 2018 included the improved screen. Again go for the most recent.

Nothing else is needed. I did not try or want to enable the Uconnect Guardian services. If you do, you will need to get a separate 4G cellular antenna or replace the existing rooftop gps/xm/fm/am antenna with oem rooftop 4G/gps/xm/fm/am antenna. Also may need the 4G harness as well.

#27 ·
Bringing this one back from the dead. I actually just brought my radio (should be in Thursday) however a few questions:

I am upgrading from the 7 inch to the 8.4. From some of the videos I have seen (wranglers, etc.) of someone else upgrading to the 8.4 which wires are behind the 7 inch and which ports will not be connected? For example some people have a red wire to attach (Assuming the red wire is emergency/911) while some people do not connect anything to the purple. What wires are actually attached to the 7 inch?

I notice in this post AlfaOBD is used to chagne some parameters. If you have the 7 inch is it necessary to change those parameters or to proxi align after installation? Could the sleep mode be enough once installed to sync everything up? Does AlfaOBD and and the new 8.4 screen add any additional functionality (i.e. Off Road Pages)

#32 · (Edited)
UPDATE 9/25/23

first and foremost thanks to @18Rene in post #16 through #18 he breaks down the AlfaOBD settings for 3 and 7 inch dash displays to enable some settings. I also used jeepcompass and ramforum

Here's are a few things left out. You will need the following things:

Blue and Gray Cables (go to ebay and get fiat cables. Should be about 15 bucks or so for each cable)
AlfaOBD (paid copy)
Radio Bezel (part# 6VM16LXHAA)
Plastic pry tools
Torx 25 or 27 bit or screw driver
As much information on the donor vehicle (i.e. Vin, make, model, etc..)
A "Vehicle Bill of Sale" if you want to use SirusXM Guardian/Uconnect

The installation is pretty straight forward so I wont go into that and @18Rene goes into some of the setting which needs to be enabled to get the navigation going. Be aware your radio will have two VIN numbers, one for the radio (the donor vin) and one for the actual vehicle (your original vehicle vin. Anytime you will deal with the radio moving forward you will have to provide the donor vin. Not your vehicle vin. More on this later... ) Before you install the radio and proxy alignment enable this setting in AlfaOBD

Font Screenshot Circle Number Terrestrial plant

This setting is in the preferences tab (looks like gears in the top right corner) and will let you properly Proxy Align your vehicle.

Enabling SDARs will turn on all the SirusXM Travel Link and SirusXM Guardian apps on the radio and here where **** can start to smell and for some it may not be worth it to upgrade to a 8.4 UAQ Uconnect. I think you can use Travellink through SirusXM, but the SiruisXM Guardian/Uconnect is a whole other animal.

SirusXM Guardian is tied to Uconnect. You need SirusXM Guardian/Uconnect to enable the OTA updates and that is tied to the ORIGINAL OWNER of the vehicle. You will not be able to get any updates OTA unless you either go the dealership for any updates or can specifically find the firmware updates online (good luck! I have tried).

To enable these features, you will have to call SirusXM Guardian to enable this feature and provide them a copy of the "Vehicle Bill of Sale" showing transferred ownership of the vehicle to you. This is where this can get complicated because depending on how or who you brought the radio from; they may or may not will have the authority to give you a vehicle bill of sale. SirusXM Guardian/Uconnect dont want a vehicle bill of sale for the actual donor radio; you have to prove to them you own the entire vehicle. If you cannot provide this Vehicle Bill of Sale or Vehicle registration with the donor vin # you are SOL and won't be able to use SirusXM Guardian/Uconnect. One of the ways around this is to not reset the radio leaving all the old owners information in the radio and working around it. Its not ideal, but is what it is. For some, this might be a big deal, but it is unless you want to spend money going to the dealership if the vehicle wets the bed.

Hopefully this helps someone. These are all the lesson I had to learn the hard way.