Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't able to find this information anywhere so I Pressed the "assist" button inside my Jeep and talked to someone from UConnect support. I asked "What mass storage formats are allowed for the USB ports in my new Renegade and what are the file limits?" The lady on the other end of the line almost immediately came back with the answer "We don't have that information." Thinking this must be some madness, I tried rephrasing the question and no - she indicated she understood the question but the answer was that neither UConnect nor Jeep provides information about the mass storage formats allowed and file limits for the USB connections. Her suggestion was "to try it and if it did't work, try a different one."

So -- um. In that spirit:

FAT (technically, FAT32) works, up to it's sad little limit of 32G.
exFAT doesn't work at all.
NTFS works, tested up to 256G - but, it's pointless to support anything this large ....

The UConnect section of the manual warns that when iPods are connected, it's normal for the uconnect to take up to 5 minutes per 1,000 files to look through the files the first time.
When running NTFS, with more than 14,000 total files, it took more like 10-12 minutes per 1,000 files and the more files it "indexed," the slower it got.
With just over 14,000 files:
- uConnect drops the album and track title (changes them to "unknown")
- uConnect takes a very long time (sometimes more than a minute) after starting to play a track to change the display to indicate the track is playing
- The browse button displays "Please Wait" for more than 10-15 minutes then comes back with a list of the first 5-6 folders on the device, pressing "artist" or "track" or "search" at this point essentially hangs the system at a new "please wait" screen
- It seems that while the 14,000 files are now quickly recognized, the browse button data is not cached at all so it's essentially useless.

All testing done with the latest uconnect software in place. My suggestion is to keep it under 5000 files.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
I have a 64GB USB in the Jeep and it works fine with no issues. Album, artist, track title all come up on the screen. I have the 5.0 screen in mine.

·
Registered
356 Posts
OK, I'm an old fart, could you guys explain this in slightly more simple terms?

If I have a USBf flash drive with, say, 16GB capacity, can I just load up a bunch of MP3 files on it and have them play directly through the UConnect? I'm still carrying around a stack of CDs in my vehicle; it'd be nice to copy them to a flash drive, but I'm not sure when I do that how they should be organized (or what file format they'll be stored in). Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
I had my USB from Amazon. I copied the cds on to my laptop as mp3 files and then I put them on my USB. As the USB is quite small in size, it doesn't stick out far when inserted.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts

If I have a USBf flash drive with, say, 16GB capacity, can I just load up a bunch of MP3 files on it and have them play directly through the UConnect? I'm still carrying around a stack of CDs in my vehicle; it'd be nice to copy them to a flash drive, but I'm not sure when I do that how they should be organized (or what file format they'll be stored in). Any advice would be appreciated!
The short answer is yes (I'm an old fart too). I used iTunes to download all my songs (~650 of them) to a mini flash drive and I leave it plugged in just in front of the shifter. The songs are always available and you can scroll through the songs or albums from the screen (I have the 5.0 Uconnect).

I had a bunch of CD's too. I uploaded them using iTunes through my computer and those songs are part of what I now have on my mini thumb drive. Use the highest bit rate to get the best sound. The memory drives are cheap so don't worry about storage space.

If you have the time, you could use several thumb drives and put different music on them. One for rock, one for easy listening, one country, one for xmas, etc.

·
Registered
367 Posts
On my Limited, both of the usb ports work, so I filled two thumb drives with all of our music.
This lets the wife listen to whatever she wants on 'her' drive and I listen to whatever I want on 'my' drive.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
I was going to buy a 128gb but I went with 64gb. I may have to double it at some point.

I could make a few suggestions, but I have a suspicion that my music preferences may not be the same as yours.

How much space have you used on your 128gb? I ask as the manual recommends 32gb and I use a 64gb with no issues and you have a 128gb USB. So does the U-Connect read the 128gb USB ok? Or is it a case of trial and error and when you approach say 100gb it has difficulty reading it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone elses we the message "File error" between each song that plays through the USB? I am using 5 different 8gb flash drives with different music on them. I have my music set up with different files for each artist, and I have the Jeep shuffle through all of them. I don't think it is playing all the songs, and it says "file error" between each song. Anybody know what's wrong?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wasn't able to find this information anywhere so I Pressed the "assist" button inside my Jeep and talked to someone from UConnect support. I asked "What mass storage formats are allowed for the USB ports in my new Renegade and what are the file limits?" The lady on the other end of the line almost immediately came back with the answer "We don't have that information." Thinking this must be some madness, I tried rephrasing the question and no - she indicated she understood the question but the answer was that neither UConnect nor Jeep provides information about the mass storage formats allowed and file limits for the USB connections. Her suggestion was "to try it and if it did't work, try a different one."

So -- um. In that spirit:

FAT (technically, FAT32) works, up to it's sad little limit of 32G.
exFAT doesn't work at all.
NTFS works, tested up to 256G - but, it's pointless to support anything this large ....

The UConnect section of the manual warns that when iPods are connected, it's normal for the uconnect to take up to 5 minutes per 1,000 files to look through the files the first time.
When running NTFS, with more than 14,000 total files, it took more like 10-12 minutes per 1,000 files and the more files it "indexed," the slower it got.
With just over 14,000 files:
  • uConnect drops the album and track title (changes them to "unknown")
  • uConnect takes a very long time (sometimes more than a minute) after starting to play a track to change the display to indicate the track is playing
  • The browse button displays "Please Wait" for more than 10-15 minutes then comes back with a list of the first 5-6 folders on the device, pressing "artist" or "track" or "search" at this point essentially hangs the system at a new "please wait" screen
  • It seems that while the 14,000 files are now quickly recognized, the browse button data is not cached at all so it's essentially useless.

All testing done with the latest uconnect software in place. My suggestion is to keep it under 5000 files.
Okay so under 5,000 but was there a particular ya type brand whatever. That you would recommend while staying under 5000. Still that would display song title artist and perhaps would have a app that could generate playlists etc ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The short answer is yes (I'm an old fart too). I used iTunes to download all my songs (~650 of them) to a mini flash drive and I leave it plugged in just in front of the shifter. The songs are always available and you can scroll through the songs or albums from the screen (I have the 5.0 Uconnect).

I had a bunch of CD's too. I uploaded them using iTunes through my computer and those songs are part of what I now have on my mini thumb drive. Use the highest bit rate to get the best sound. The memory drives are cheap so don't worry about storage space.

If you have the time, you could use several thumb drives and put different music on them. One for rock, one for easy listening, one country, one for xmas, etc.
If you didn’t seperate each drive by genre would their be a way to organize them in one drive etc. ?

·
Registered
1 Posts

well first thing first.you have to know in which format you flash drive is.here is how you do it.plug the flash drive into a computer, then double click on system icon(my computer) then right click on the drive (your usb flash drive,listed)then click properties,it will listed under what format you drive is( fat32,exfat,NTFS,etc) now exfat and NTFS doesn`t seem to work very well on Uconnect System Only fat32 work flawless, a least in my case I have try the other two format with out any luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi, I'm a newbie here but I've been messing with digital music for decades. I'm using a 128Gb stick formatted in FAT32, with over 10,000 tracks in my preferred format of MP3 at highest VBR rate. I also have FLAC versions, but you really can't tell the difference in a car.

Just a few tips:
Rip your music from CD at the highest rate you can manage. There's a lot of old advice on the internet about saving space but that was back in the day when 4Gb storage was the norm and space was precious. But that simply doesn't matter any more. And there's nothing worse that having to rip all your CDs over again.

There are things called tags, stored in every file, that will do things like organise music genres for you, and also hold album art too. It's worth getting to know about them.

Whatever software you use to Rip CDs should have a bunch of advanced settings. Even if you don't use them, it means the software will make a better job of the result.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i think i finally got to the bottom of this....
first: you have to use a folder for your playlists rather than use the root of the drive (i use "playlists")
second: you have to use back slashes (\) not forward slashes (/) in your file location string
and three: your location string has to be verbatim (i was trying to use VLC player to create my .m3u files but it added a lot of extra lines and used variables for spaces and odd letters and such}

so what i did was use a free program called m3u creator (M3U Playlist Creator) to create the initial playlist by dropping the zipped file into the folder of the album (or collection etc) and run it. afterword i opened it with notepad and used the "..\" prefix in front of the location line for each individual song. so when i was done the m3u file looked like this in notepad:

..\A Perfect Circle\aMOTION (2004)\1. Judith (Renholdër mix).mp3
..\A Perfect Circle\eMOTIVe (2004)\4. What's Going On.mp3
..\A Perfect Circle\Mer de noms (2000)\3. Rose.mp3
..\A Perfect Circle\Thirteenth Step (2003)\4. Blue.mp3

...with no forward slashes (/) or funny variables for spaces and such (%20), also no headers or anything like that...just as my text above looks for the entire m3u file, with file names exactly as used on the file ( i never tried the case change thing so im assuming it is case sensitive). save it in your "playlists" folder. and as you can see you can customize your playlist to draw from several folders...if all your music is just dumped into the root of your drive your string would look like:
..\name of song.mp3

i worked on this with many experimentations for the better part of a weekend and i didnt just want playlists of albums but of many individual songs across many many albums. i could easily get them to show up but they just said empty when i opened them except for the ones created by the m3u creator i linked, but they wouldnt work anymore if i moved them even after i added the location string to the file list. i tried storing them in the root of the drive with the \ prefix to start at the root of the drive and that didnt work, and it didnt make sense to keep them inside any of the album folders (unless it was just a playlist for that album), but as soon as i discovered that by placing them inside a folder and using the ..\ prefix (and i was using / instead all along because thats what VLC used) and actually using the \ throughout the string it started working just great on my usb 3.1 512GB drive......i was also using a 512GB sd card with usb 3.0 adapter with success which seems much faster but bulkier....was even able to use exFAT despite everyone saying it doesnt work...

now i need to figure out how to force it to re-read the drive when i add stuff to it, and i intend to fill it with 320mbps mp3s....i currently have 124 artists with several albums under each adding up to 115GB....so im only 25% there but its a start so i dont need to use up my data on my phone streaming from my plex server to play these same files

additional info:

ok so after further experimentation i discovered that if you drop your music onto your FAT32 drive and then use winamp to create your playlists using your drive as the source it will create verbatim location strings...it WILL work with the funky header ...but you have to replace the drive letter and colon with ".." winamp uses the proper back slashes and proper names without variables so it is much easier to make the playlist this way...once you open it in notepad click the edit button on the top and select replace and type in (for myself) "D:" in the "find what" field and ".." in the "replace with" field, and unless you have some oddly named folders or files you should be able to "replace all" and save it in your "playlists" folder, and your good to go.....tedious and slow to just a few seconds...longest part is selecting what you want in your play list

example of new method's playlist in notepad:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:287,A Perfect Circle - Imagine
..\A Perfect Circle\eMOTIVe (2004)\2. Imagine.mp3
#EXTINF:154,Bloodhound Gang - She Ain't Got No Legs (demo)
..\Bloodhound Gang\Hitler's Handicapped Helpers (1994)\4. She Ain't Got No Legs (demo).mp3
#EXTINF:260,Dead Kennedys - Saturday Night Holocaust
..\Dead Kennedys\Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death (Remastered) (1987)\10. Saturday Night Holocaust.mp3

there may be other media players that do the same but i tend to stay away from microsoft stuff if possible (hence the VLC player) and i already had winamp from years ago....it really whips the lamas ass

i hope this helps someone out there because i couldnt find much of anything on the web on how to do this and im obviously over the 32GB "limit" that others have pointed out
i also used rufus to format the drive to true FAT32 since windows wont do it on its own, and then i deleted the files it creates on it afterword (though they are small, i just didnt want them to interfere with the system in anyway)

i also entered this post over on the srt hellcat forum...just thought to post it around to help ppl since i couldnt really find anything definitive, but i did find some helpful stuff out there that got me here...and i am getting older so i may find myself googling how to do this again someday
dlahaie got me on the right track

·
Registered
3 Posts
has anyone found a work around for the "unknown" file number limitation? other than staying under a measly 5000 songs
i would need to have around 10 usb drives laying around in my jeep to reach my music variety goals and that just seems like a mess...would rather just put up with not knowing the song info and still enjoy hearing it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts