Jeep Renegade Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
@TonyWilliams welcome to the forum and fantastic to hear from you. I started the thread so owners can discuss the model, and others interested in it. Do you have a photo of it? What dealer did you end up buying from and were they good at giving a deal?

I think the Jungle Green is brilliant too, I just got black as it was the cheapest option (and also looks pretty smart in my view).

I too ordered the spare wheel though with mine they gave me a Limited alloy - did you get a 75th alloy with yours? But, I asked for it for free, so not complaining too much. I highly recommend getting mudguards fitted front and rear, and changing the standard mats with the plastic mats (nice Jeep branding on them, and very easy to clean - good protection from drink spills which I found out to my benefit!). Check out my garage photos if you want to see it with mudguards. My dealer did a deal on the mats around £35 and they look fantastic, the mud guards were about £40 front and £40 rear I believe, although I got mine as part of a deal.

Do you plan on doing any other modifications? My next change will be to get roof rack fitted for luggage, though I understand the electronic sunroof will work, but it would be difficult taking the panels out.

Will you be doing any off roading in it? I tried a byroad in mud and it works really well, just watch the height underneath the Jeep as it was a bit close down some well worn trails.

You say you don't need the heated seats and steering wheel - have you tried these on a cold morning :) Like you, I thought I didn't need them, but boy do I use them pretty much every day going to work and they are fantastic with how warm they get - I love that feature. I also love the MySky and in summer was using it on 75% of journeys, both the electronic sunroof and taking the panels out (which were a bit of pain to get back in first time, but second time I did it in seconds once I knew the technique to put back in on an angle).

If I got a Longitude I would have got a panoramic sunroof, but if you want light, take out the panels and put em in the bag - in summer you really can't beat the experience so I was really happy to get the MySky over the panoramic sunroof. There's not many vehicles you can actually take the roof off and store it in the boot!

Enjoy! And hope to catch up on this thread as we get more 75th news.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I didn't buy the Renegade for off-roading; we live 800 feet up in the Derbyshire hills so we tend to get our share of any snowfall around, and we have to use steep country roads to get home. There have been occasions with a 2WD vehicle when I've had to leave it at the bottom of the hill and walk the last half-mile. It does irritate me to keep reading in car mags that you don't need 4WD unless you go off-roading - they don't seem to realise that London is not where everyone lives!

So I wanted a 4WD vehicle, with an autobox and a petrol engine - I only do a low annual mileage with a lot of short trips, not worthwhile to get a diesel and I'm not happy about their noise and pollution issues either. There aren't that many vehicles which offer this combination of features, and the Renegade is the most interesting of them. I particularly like its height - I'm not as young as I used to be and I get tired of dropping down into a seat and then having to haul myself back up again, so just being able to step sideways into the Renegade is a relief - and the view's better from high up too!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I particularly like its height - I'm not as young as I used to be and I get tired of dropping down into a seat and then having to haul myself back up again, so just being able to step sideways into the Renegade is a relief - and the view's better from high up too!
Totally agree!
sorry I got a diesel... ;)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Incidentally, that 1.4 is really rare. How rare we just won't know for a while, but early quarter registrations were just 7 in the entire country, of the 16 reg. I know there are at least 3 Jungle Greens, including Davids who is also on the forum.

How many late 16 / early 66 reg there are we'll just have to wait to see. This is compared to 27 diesel, so the diesel was more popular by near 4 fold. The 1.4 could become very scarce indeed.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
I wonder if the diesel is more popular due to the better mpg figure as they do a higher mileage? I can't see anybody buying a diesel on the emissions, as they are playing with fire. As I don't do a high mileage, a 1.4 petrol works for me.

Reactions: Jeep Jon

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
If I remember right, it's a cheaper option up front. Price was my consideration, and that diesels should do better mpg, and the diesel price at the pump could be favorable. We don't get low tax though... my mileage would be high, over 15,000 a year for commuting to work, weekends and holidays.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
A new 75th has turned up for sale, must be ex display/demo. A auto 2.0 in Jungle Green. Should be worth about 21k my view, 24.5k is pushing it some, as it's 16 reg too:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...e=JEEP&aggregatedTrim=75th Anniversary&page=1

Interestingly, of ones I know of, 66% of them are Jungle Green. The other colour schemes seem to be rare in UK, as are sandstorm seats as most (90%+) are black seats. Jeep clearly made many more in green for the dealers to demo / display as a striking colour. Its definitely growing on me!

Of other note is the manuals seem to be selling well, the autos sticking around longer. There are less manuals for sale overall though.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Diesel price here in the Aberdare area is either the same price as unleaded, unusual but does happen, or a penny or two dearer than unleaded, usually the case.

·
Registered
77 Posts
So what's the advantage of the 1.4 168bhp petrol 75th over the diesel auto? Quieter yes, but worse on fuel and torque? What's the performance like in the real world - does it feel slightly underpowered?

Also, I've tried the auto with the 168bhp diesel Trailhawk but how does the auto fair on the 140bhp diesel 75th? Thanks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I drove all the varieties of auto jeeps and the 1.4 4x4 was the nicest of the bunch my thoughts in preference order:
1.4 4x4 9 speed (75th): punchy and pretty rapid, no Abarth but makes progress easily. engine noise is a little sporty but no vibration and front is noticeably lighter, occasional hunting from the box but changes were very smooth

2.0 4x4 170 9 speed (trailhawk): loads of punch and quite refined engine, was a 2015 and the box was hunting a lot and the changes were very noticeable I know there have been software changes since, also much firmer ride than any of the others

1.4 4x2 6 DDCT (Limited): nice engine Rapid round town, didn't feel super slow but I wanted a bit more punch higher up, DDCT box was very nice far better than the VAG DSG offering, felt a little bouncier than the 4x4s but still a nice ride

2.0 4x4 140 9 speed (75th): the box worked well with engine, shifts were nice and smooth only a little hunting. The engine I hated, very noisy and a lot of vibration at idle I actually left the stop/start on just to make it more pleasant. It had a fair amount of lag and with the box occasionally bogged down on hills. On the move it was much quieter and oddly it was the one I drove the longest ~ 3 hours

if I was going to order a diesel I would have sacrificed some options to get the TH with the 170. Fuel economy was pretty poor at 34mpg although only expecting 25 from the petrol still an improvement from the 18mpg the 280E gives though.

Do think the 1.6 diesel 4x2 DDCT will be a great combo when it comes out

Just my 2p and it can be quite surprising how two cars with the same engine can feel quite different

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
So what's the advantage of the 1.4 168bhp petrol 75th over the diesel auto? Quieter yes, but worse on fuel and torque? What's the performance like in the real world - does it feel slightly underpowered?

Also, I've tried the auto with the 168bhp diesel Trailhawk but how does the auto fair on the 140bhp diesel 75th? Thanks.
No idea, I go for manual ! :) All I can say is the 75th with manual engine runs very well, nice smooth ride. Remember the engine will sound louder in the cabin (as will all outside noise) as you only have a few relatively thin panels that pop out for the roof. But, easily compensated for when the radio is on, and it's not so bad listening to a beautiful Jeep engine at work. Would recommend you try driving a 75th if you are interested in it, and definitely try the engine you want to buy (one thing my dealer absolutely agreed with - "try the engine you want to buy"). Why it's handy to have a main dealer close by... Westaway Northampton had pretty much every variation going in stock.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
More compliments for the 75th today from unexpected sources.

I was driving through the drive through at Burger King, ordered the food, got up to the counter to pay. "is it diesel?"... "what engine size is it"... "how much does it cost".... and when I left, "nice (car) you have". Gave the thumbs up. The sever was talking with his colleague about it... Must have seen it on the camera.

Always nice to get unexpected compliments, but usual for us Renegade owners, many people impressed by it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Is yours petrol or diesel? The petrol would have less torque and not sure the engine would suit a Jeep but it does have better performance, with the same BHP as the Trailhawk?

I'm surprised the 1.4 petrol is more expensive than the 2.0 diesel! You'd think it would be cheaper!

·
Registered
75 Posts
The manual diesel is cheaper than auto petrol which is cheaper than the auto diesel. It's the same in the Limited line up as well for the 4x4 versions. Glad my dealer prewarned about the discounts changing, I got caught by the higher option prices but still got the full 2k contribution. Think the base prices would be due a raise in Jan if things carry on as they are for the £.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Thanks for clarifying, I couldn't remember the exact price variances and the configurator is now well and truly off Jeep for the 75th (and Dawn of Justice) - no doubt may make way for Deserthawk? Although that's looking like its going to be more expensive than the TH, being based on TH. If they release in UK my prediction is it will be one of the lowest selling special editions.

Mine is diesel and it does suit the Jeep very well. More Diesels are made and sold for the 75th, by far. But there are two owners on this thread that own the petrol and haven't reported any issues, sure they are very happy with their Jeeps too. All you can do is try and arrange to drive all 3 engines and see what you prefer.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Another 75th identified, an ex demo black diesel automatic, reported at 5,000 miles on the clock for £22,000 . I got a new one for around that, so I'd guess the real value should be £18,000 < £19,000 and they'd probably want to clear this one, especially as it's one owner so would justify strong negotiation:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...searchad=New&postcode=nn82nn&make=JEEP&page=1

In that spec looking like more black versions are made than green. I haven't found any other colours in that spec yet.

I don't trust their MPG figures at all! Best I get on average is around 36 MPG doing half hour drives to and from work mostly stuck in traffic stop start, so the fact they suggest over 54 MPG at best is a bit optimistic ! Perhaps on occasional long journeys but practicality says most people wont achieve this at all.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Black would be my least favourite colour to have as my Patriot is black and I've had a black Cherokee. Jungle Green or Granite Crystal would be my choice but I agree, that one is over-priced with that mileage and considering that the solid black didn't cost any more as a colour.

If it was more like £18,000 I might be interested but it has quite a high mileage for a demo vehicle?

MPG is concerning - thought it would do better than 36mpg!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
There's a whole load of discussion on the MPG on a separate UK thread. As I'm doing slow stop start journeys through traffic mostly I probably get the worse MPG. In addition, I had a new diesel engine so it needs to get into an efficient state. My dealer recommended around 6,000 miles at least. I have noticed the MPG notch up ever so slightly during the first 1,500 but it is indeed reported around 36 MPG, just over. Some people can get 40<50 but that's mostly on long journeys and not pushing it. It's a relatively small tank too, costs me about £45 to fully fill up from the red line today. I'd say it's reasonable for what the Jeep is. I didn't buy this on efficiency or for environmental reasons, bought it for the pleasure of driving it :) .

That second hand Jeep does seem to be relatively high for a demo that usually does a few short trips, must have been used as courtesy / for long tests / by the staff, I imagine. Why I reckon they'd do it a lot cheaper. But sure you'll get a good value Jungle Green soon, a granite crystal will be harder to find I imagine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
There's a whole load of discussion on the MPG on a separate UK thread. As I'm doing slow stop start journeys through traffic mostly I probably get the worse MPG. In addition, I had a new diesel engine so it needs to get into an efficient state. My dealer recommended around 6,000 miles at least. I have noticed the MPG notch up ever so slightly during the first 1,500 but it is indeed reported around 36 MPG, just over. Some people can get 40<50 but that's mostly on long journeys and not pushing it. It's a relatively small tank too, costs me about £45 to fully fill up from the red line today. I'd say it's reasonable for what the Jeep is. I didn't buy this on efficiency or for environmental reasons, bought it for the pleasure of driving it :) .

That second hand Jeep does seem to be relatively high for a demo that usually does a few short trips, must have been used as courtesy / for long tests / by the staff, I imagine. Why I reckon they'd do it a lot cheaper. But sure you'll get a good value Jungle Green soon, a granite crystal will be harder to find I imagine.
I need the Jeep to be reasonably good on fuel - my Patriot does 35 - 40mpg - as my car (which I am keeping) does more like 22 - 27 mpg!

Yes, a pre-registered one with a very low mileage seems ok but one with that mileage must have been used for longer tests as you say, which means it may not have had an easy first part of its life/been treated particularly well - it looks OK in black but it would need to be a lot cheaper to tempt me with that mileage and in that colour. I agree that granite crystal would be harder to source at a good price as most seem to be jungle green!

41 - 60 of 77 Posts