Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UK owners, what sort of mpg are you getting?
I'm particularly interested in 1.4 petrol engine but post other engines too as it will be of interest to other folks.
(US gallons are different to UK gallons)

·
Registered
99 Posts
My 1.4 petrol has averaged 35mpg on mixed driving which includes a couple of motor trips, car now has 430 miles on it.
I filled it up today and reset trip so will update mpg once this tank has gone.

·
Registered
44 Posts
not happy with mpg on my 1.6 multi jet, certainly not at the moment, though does seem to me improving slightly and hopefully it stays on the up. Currently standing at around 1700 miles and was getting under 38.** for the first 1000 miles.

My last to fill ups I have checked properly, the previous one the car said 39mpg and based on miles done and fuel to fill I worked that out at 40.73mpg, the last one done the car had improved to 40.7mpg and by my same workings out I made it 41.92.

Hopefully it improves further as I had expected to get at least the same or better as my previous car at around 44-45.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Averaged 44.9 since picking up on Thursday afternoon (1.6).

I'm hoping this will improve a little once I've broken in the engine a little more. One thing I had noticed is that the fuel tank seems rather small. I managed to get 44 litres in on the first fill-up from empty. My Dacia will take just over 50 litres.

Not a problem, but I'm an avid user of Tesco's fuel save scheme, and every penny counts ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Using that tesco fuel won't help matters. Its not going to give you the optimum bang for your buck if you know what i mean. With my cherokee every fill at tesco triggers the engine management warning light. The dealer advised I fill with "quality" fuel every 3rd fill if I was going to continue using tesco and his advice has been proven correct. Tesco = light on / shell,bp etc = light goes off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Have you checked your oil levels? Maybe add half a bottle of Redex for diesel to your tank next time to fill up just to clear things through.
I haven't done yet but don't think should need to on a new car.... How's your mpg looking now, mime has fractionally decreased. Might try shell as normally fill up at morrisons.... I do a lot of short journeys with little cruising maybe that's the problem, but in saying that I still achieved 44-45 with my qashqai and on paper the jeep is meant to be at least a good if not a little better.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I haven't done yet but don't think should need to on a new car.... How's your mpg looking now, mime has fractionally decreased. Might try shell as normally fill up at morrisons.... I do a lot of short journeys with little cruising maybe that's the problem, but in saying that I still achieved 44-45 with my qashqai and on paper the jeep is meant to be at least a good if not a little better.
I was still averaging 44 until yesterday, that was a mix of urban and motorway driving taking it very easy and not exceeding 70 mph.

Now I've passed the magic 300 miles (magic figure for some, I think, with regards to breaking in the engine), I'm starting to push it a little but harder. Also did 800 miles on French/Italian motorways last week mostly at a steady 80 mph, but did purposely hit 95-100 mph a couple of times to really break in the engine at those revs and speeds. Average mpg has dipped slightly to 42 mpg.

Honestly, I was hoping for better, especially as the car has now done its first 1000 miles and the engine should be fully broken in and returning its best mpg figures.

- PS: I always fill up at Tesco or Asda as that's where it's cheapest. Yet to have any problem with efficiency or performance in my other car.

·
Registered
125 Posts
had the car 2days and done 465 miles averaging 38 mpg with a 1.4 multi air , I'm hoping this will improve with running in, I did a mixture of country and motorway driving, but really enjoying the car so far!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
500 miles on the clock and I got 45 mpg driving up to the Highlands (1.4L) but that was tootling along at 50-60mph mainly as I was stuck behind long convoys of cars led by campervan/tourists with little chance to overtake.
In normal commute I'll be lucky to get 40mpg I think. Its similar fuel consumption to the 1.2 yeti engine so I'm no worse off really.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
According to the figures, a 1.4 average is 47.1 which is same as the 1.6 etorq. The 1.6 td is listed as 61.4 average.

So if a 1.4 is averaging around 40 mpg, I wouldn't complain. Don't forget manufacturers do their mpg tests in a controlled environment, not in the real world.

I will be getting the 1.6 etorq lump when I order mine through motability.

I do a lot of short runs so I am expecting mid to late thirties as an average mpg figure when I get my Renegade. Anything higher would be a bonus. Currently my 2013 Scenic 1.5 dCi is only averaging 40 mpg on short runs. Nowhere near Renault's outrageous claims. The manufacturer's disclaimer usually states that the figures are for comparison only and doesn't take into account road conditions, driving styles etc.

MPVs and SUVs regardless of size are going to be less aerodynamic than something that is smaller, hence the trade off is a lower mpg figure. At least the Renegade is a rare beast, I've only seen in Aberdare, so we aren't following the crowd. Yes I know I typed we aren't and I haven't got mine. Yet.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm now on 1600miles, and around town I'm getting 33mpg, but last week I did another Wales uni trip, about 160 miles of motorway driving and got 45.2 with cruise control set on 70mph, and on the way back did the scenic route via A5 and achieved 42.1mpg , it's a slower route with twisty roads and plenty of great changes, and of course far more fun!

I'm pretty happy with that!
Btw the car was fully loaded with 3of Us and smelly washing ,bags , books and tenor horn....parp!

1 - 20 of 269 Posts