Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
First, let me say I've only done off roading on my mountain bike; so, don't anyone get in a tizzy with my observation/question.

The 2 inclines where the TH appeared not able to climb didn't appear to be that steep. For those that do off road, were they steep?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's why I put "commercial" in text - incline and also decline was just to show accessories.
Yes winch is very cute, but roof rack is to wide for "my visual taste".
Because of warranty issue, I'm thinking about underrun guard instead of lifting.

·
Registered
753 Posts
First, let me say I've only done off roading on my mountain bike; so, don't anyone get in a tizzy with my observation/question.

The 2 inclines where the TH appeared not able to climb didn't appear to be that steep. For those that do off road, were they steep?
I run into worse inclines at the campsite during the spring and summer months, LOL...

Honestly I think it was just to show off the winch, which I really want. I wonder how it's installed, will need to do some Googling, :)

The under guard protector flashes so quickly I could barely tell where on the underside it's installed. But underside armor is always a good thing. I'll be adding some to my Latitude once Spring gets here. Too cold to crawl around under the Jeep this time of year, :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
It protects the underside of the vehicle.
Thanks Captain Obvious. You deserve a promotion.

The under guard protector flashes so quickly I could barely tell where on the underside it's installed.
Pause the video to get a better look.

It's located in between the wheels on what looks like the driver's side, which is why I ask, why would you need it there? And it's only protecting an area of approximately 2ft square. Is the fuel tank there? I suspect not because the exhaust runs through there. Someone enlighten me?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
It is located more on the passenger side on the vehicle protecting the catalytic converter. The catalytic converter does set below the “frame rails” and could be easily crushed if you happen to go over something large enough to be of concern. Catalytic converters are fragile and expensive… I think (IMHO) that it would be a good investment if you intend to venture off road.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Nice mount. I'm trying to figure out if is compatible with the us tow hooks though.
Compatibility is definitely something to consider but also they only use a 4500 ATV winch. That's fine and dandy if you are pulling a car out of a snow bank. But anything more complex than that and you'll be screwed (especially if you are trying to pull someone else out). Not to mention, it looks like you might be encroaching on your approach angle which MIGHT by worth sacrificing if you got a lift kit.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just realized we have some scrap 3/16" stainless steel at the shop and I happen to have access to all the tools to make one of these. Here is what I was envisioning for the cut. I've got to wait for my jeep to get back from the shop and then I can get the exact measurements and get to work on it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,907 Posts
I just realized we have some scrap 3/16" stainless steel at the shop and I happen to have access to all the tools to make one of these. Here is what I was envisioning for the cut. I've got to wait for my jeep to get back from the shop and then I can get the exact measurements and get to work on it.
Very cool! How much!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Dude. How much you want. I like. And I want.
Very cool! How much!
Haha, I'll keep you posted. It will be a process since I've really only got a small amount of time on the weekends to work at the shop in getting this designed and made. But I will for sure let you guys know how it goes so you can see how it progresses now that I have my BU back.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Had some time this weekend to work on this. I got through taking off the current skid plate, taking measurments and finalizing my drawing. I also just secured all the tooling I will need to get this made. Hopefully I will be able to cut this sucker out, bend it and do some minor welding next weekend. Here are some pics of my final drawing (The last one I posted was made inaccurately with "onshape" this one was made in Solidworks).

Attachments

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.