Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing my underside 10K inspection. I noticed an oily clear substance dripping from the clear tube under the rear passenger underside and accompanying oily spots underneath. See the arrows. Returned in different pattern a few miles after washing off.

Whats this tube for and whats this stuff?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Whats this tube for and whats this stuff?
Dunno - I thought it might be a drain for a my sky or similar, but Ive got one under my TrailHawk also. Mine clear, no sign of any drippage. I dont think its the aircon condensation drain tube as I am pretty sure ive seen that drip further front...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I thought maybe clear drainage tube from the fuel filler portal. It seems to head in that direction. But it had been dry 3 days at the time of the pic and doesn't explain the oily component. The liquid was without a smell. I didn't have the brass (right then) to try a taste test.

Maybe today I'll start a diagnostics tree and try a thorough dry wipedown with brake cleaner instead of a water sprayer. And check for more territory marking and undercarriage staining in a day or so. I wish FCA made something, like maybe a shop manual, so like mechanics could like, repair these cars.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I was curious too. I poured a little water down the fuel filler drain and it ran right out the tube in question.
So this small hole just in front of the fuel filler is connected to this tube.
Thanx a lot for the info!
I was washing the underside of the Jeep and I was very curious too as to what this tube does.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ah ha! I wonder if yours has those petrol splatters from the pipe, due to speed you whip the filler out?
(Cant believe I just typed that!)
On the Diesel I have, it says give it 10 seconds after completing filling, before removing the filler nozel.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you raz-0.

I was curious too. I poured a little water down the fuel filler drain and it ran right out the tube in question.
Never would have thought of that. I was ready to run a wire up...

I was washing the underside of the Jeep and I was very curious too as to what this tube does.
Handwashing the underside... now there's dedication.

due to speed you whip the filler out? ... says give it 10 seconds after completing filling, before removing the filler nozel.
I do speed whip the filler out. And I believe the 2015 fuel door I have (without the new rubber cup) allows rainwater in past the fender's rubber skirt seal. Now I wonder if water is getting in... and fuel is getting out.

Maybe I can avoid issues if I put on one of those new little rubber things and take 10 seconds before pulling out my filler nozzle.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was looking for those cups and don't seem to see them on the 2016s. Are they on there yet? Some FCA products have the cup on the fuel door.

·
Registered
261 Posts
On the Diesel I have, it says give it 10 seconds after completing filling, before removing the filler nozel.
I have the petrol 1.4, and I have the same sticker on my fuel cap door.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Calling it.

Well, after underside sterilization, there was no more drainage, oily mess, or stainage.

So I'm just going to call it as drainage from the fuel fill area. Either water or fuel, that stained the underside. I'll look in a few hundred miles but am now declaring it a "no problem" issue.

I'll still upgrade to a rubber cap when it comes possible. Till then a 10-sec wait before I pull out is in order as the door recommends. Wonder why.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'll still upgrade to a rubber cap when it comes possible. Till then a 10-sec wait before I pull out is in order as the door recommends. Wonder why.
Mine (diesel) has a rubber cap, hanging on the door flap that when closed mates with the filler opening covering it. It seems pretty logical that is in place to prevent road dirt/dust etc getting into the filler cap area and then being shoved down the pipe with the nozzel insertion.

I have a feeling that the 10 Sec wait is to ensure that there is no fuel dribbling down the filler neck when the nozel is removed. Sometimes theres a vent on fillers pipes. Its most likley to ensure theres no dribbles going down that or to just prevent people spilling fuel.

(I have no idea if this is correct - but a maintenance manual ought to show the design of the filler system in detail to confirm).

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Instead of a rubber cap I use the cap off a Windex spray can. It is 2 1/2" inside diameter fits perfect and door still closes fine. The cap looks many of the other spray can caps out there, not just Windex. Works great, I heard to buy the rubber cap is very expensive.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks all. I will be doing a DIY upgrade soon. Windex cap or a rubber one from my lab.

But what got me thinking is the comment about 'whipping it out'. Maybe its a full tank getting whipped around a corner and the fuel sloshes out and down the drain tube, not via my refueling nozzle skills.

I'll have to check this out. May explain my sucky mileage. Also begs the question about positive pressure maintained in the tank or not as in days of capped tanks...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.