Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Unknown Warning Light

79K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  raymond.mitts 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So this morning it was 6 below zero F. I remotely started my 2016 TH (70,000 miles, automatic transmission) to let it warm up for about 5 minutes before I got into it. I noticed an amber warning light lit just above the P. It looks similar to the transmission over temperature warning light.

It was a gear symbol with a small flat rectangle box at the top and an exclamation mark in the center. (It didn't have the combination thermometer/exclamation mark like the transmission over temperature warning light) Is this a "service transmission" symbol?

There was no other message displayed with this. I cannot find it in the owner's manual. It disappeared after 15 minutes of driving and it drove normally with no issues. Just wondering what the symbol may mean and why Jeep doesn't show this in a manual. It's a gear symbol. Shouldn't that be important enough to make the list in the manual?

#9 ·
Thanks for posting this but...just today I had a light come on three times on my 18 mile commute home. It's not on the chart.

My Rennie is a 2015. Today, the Uconnect stopped recognizing my flash drive was in the USB port. Also, the radio simply turned of its own. Then, on the commute the light came on and once, when it did, my radio just turned off on its own.

I will take a pic of the light tomorrow if it comes on. When I saw it I thought radiator. It appeared to look like a radiator fan-thingy with an exclamation point after it.

#4 ·

Thanks for the replies.This is the symbol I saw in the photo I've attached. It's from someone questioning what they saw in their 2014 Fiat500. Notice the little square box at the top of the gear. That's what I saw above my Park symbol. I think it means Automatic Gearbox Warning. Next time, if it pops up, I'm definitely taking a picture. It only gets below zero degrees a few times a year where I live in NH. Maybe fluid was moving too slow at startup. Any ideas?

#8 ·
It turns out I have 1 of the 2 license plate light bulbs are failed. The warning icon displays every time I start the vehicle (light switch in AUTO mode) and stays on about 15 minutes. The Icon is not listed in my owners manual with any of the yellow warning light explanations. It's partly my fault for not knowing by now after 40 years of driving that this basic symbol, like the low tire pressure warning, is probably universal and needs no explanation. lol Thanks for all your input folks.

#10 ·
Posting a picture of it would be great. I definitely have one of my two license plate bulbs out intermittently. When the bulb out indicator light comes on above the P an accompanying message in the dash center does briefly display for a few seconds telling what bulb is out. After the message goes away and the bulb out indicator still on away I discovered I can scroll down the dash menu with my left steering wheel buttons to a message menu telling me that particular bulb is out. I would suggest you too try scrolling to a message in the dash center with the up/down buttons on the steering wheel the next time the "radiator fan-thingy with an exclamation point after it" turns on.

#13 ·
Check out a past post from our forum site and a 50 second YouTube clip. It may be helpful.

#19 · (Edited)
@Jeepatron that yellow warning is exactly as you suggest(y)(y)(y) However when you look inside the icon for the tyre there should only be an exclamation mark. The icon is found on page 48 of The Jeep Renegade Owners manual.

The jittery image supplied by the Original poster (OP) looks like the inside icon is almost "Cross like" which has me second guessing.

Whereas the padlock for an intruder alert can be seen on page 55 of the same manual and is detailed as Sentry Key Failure/Break in Attempt

I am so glad we have people like you on the forum that excel with your investigative skills in getting an answer. :D:D:D

#20 ·
@Jeepatron that yellow warning is exactly as you suggest(y)(y)(y) However when you look inside the icon for the tyre there should only be an exclamation mark. The icon is found on page 48 of The Jeep Renegade Owners manual.

The jittery image supplied by the Original poster (OP) looks like the inside icon is almost "Cross like" which has me second guessing.

Whereas the padlock for an intruder alert can be seen on page 55 of the same manual and is detailed as Sentry Key Failure/Break in Attempt

I am so glad we have people like you on the forum that excel with your investigative skills in getting an answer. :D:D:D
Aw shucks, you got me blushing

You’re the real king of this site, you always provide incredibly thorough responses to people’s issues. Plus, they often make me laugh a little ;)

#26 · (Edited)
Low tyre pressure by the looks of things.

Lower external weather temperatures are causing this with a lot of tyres due to the internal tyre pressure getting lowered by the weather. In Summer it gets warmer in the tyre and in turn you get a higher reading.

Mine were sitting at 2.0 bar last week or 30psi. I inflated them up to 34psi and the sign went off around 10 minutes into the journey.

Page 74 and 75 of the manual explains it better but it mentions TPMS sensors etc whereas I have kept it simple.

Page 179 gives the tyre pressures to use use and are variable depending on tyre size and weight within the Jeep.

#32 ·
If you're asking why you have the light installed, and turns on briefly when you start the car, we all do. All the dashboards are the same respective to model year and trim level, but certain lights only come on depending on your vehicle type.

If you’re asking about why you’re light is staying on.. well shoot. Beats me.

#35 ·
P49 of my manual shows the yellow fault light as being "fault of the electric handbrake"

I often get this error on a cold morning if my battery has a voltage drop through not being 100% charged. My regular short journeys drain the battery whereas the longer trips fully charge it up.

Our renegade batteries need to be in absolutely top form and generally no more than 3 years to prevent error codes of the highly sophisticated onboard electrics from playing up.

Do you know how old your battery is?

#36 ·
I apologize for reviving this thread. We had the issue when I was new to my vehicle, too. I did a lot of searching on this and came across an in-depth article that may be worth reading. Search for "Jeep dashboard and warning light symbols on YOUCANIC" you can read about it yourself. I hope this information can assist someone else with a similar issue.

#37 ·
I live way up in northeastern montana we bought a 2020 renegade... it's-36 degrees with -83 windchill. OH the dash I got the symbol its in row 10th across and 6th one down. Any idea what means and anyone who knows the answer if block heater is standard install fron factory and it's location you would be a great help, thank you

#39 · (Edited)
10 across + 6 down is an EV light? but 7 down, I see it now. That was if I am not mistaken a glow plug warning light. I get that on my diesel 4x4 Renegade.

In older 4x4s you would turn your key to the 1st position and that light came on, leave it till it went out and then fully turn the key to start the engine.

Simpler concept: A glow plug is a heating element that heats incoming fuel and air to encourage efficient fuel combustion in a diesel engine.

I am not too mechanically minded and have not heard of a "block heater" I can only imagine it refers to the engine block and it is not a standard fir therefore the suggestion of having a factory-fitted one could mean that the person is suggesting that a garage fit one for you.

BUT!!! I did a little search and saw that I may be wrong. Click the red link and be amazed at the info and it's location. Thereafter just click the other links to go directly to our forum sections.

Click me

Click me again