Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I saw there are 3 unused wire harnesses in the same wire group located behind the rear left access panel by the fuse box. There's also a small connector that appears to be connected near the rear lighter socket.

Any idea what these are for?

I have a Trailhawk with only remote start option.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking potentially for tow-wiring(because of location)... although I've never seen what that kind of a harness looks like. Just odd that there were 3 (clustered on the same cable) harnesses and one small connector cabled near the cable for the DC charger port.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I can think of just a few things that would be back there.

1) Towing, as mentioned above
2) Upgraded audio, as mentioned above
3) Safety systems that may be offered later or in other markets (rear cross-path detection, maybe?), or other required equipment for other markets, such as the rear foglight or separate amber rear turn signals.
4) Allowance for a planned or future power liftgate. This has been theorized as a possible reason for the hidden liftgate opening function on keyed Renegade keyfobs.

#4 reminds me of when I was reading a Motor Trend in the mid-'90s and they wrote about noticing an unused "Gate Open" idiot light on the dash of a new Dakota. They theorized this could indicate a Dakota-based SUV was coming. It wasn't long after that the first Durango was announced.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
From what I remember reading that plug is for an optional fuse box that is installed when you get the factory tow hitch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.