Jeep Renegade Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
On the 2016 that my wife has I was only able to update from the 3.5 to the 6.5. Limited by the harness
You should be able to use the part numbers listed and it should work on 2016 or even older. I was looking into swapping out the ac controls to the 2018 but that requires a total dash swap and a harness adapter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry for resurrecting this, but I am curious. I have a 2016 Trailhawk. Can someone give more explanation at how this works out when the swap is complete? I have heated seats and a backup camera. Does the apple car play work? Does the touch screen work? How much will I need to convince the dealer to reprogram? Does it seem like a hack job when all done? any links to a tutorial would also be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Hi Elb,

Apologies as I have no ideas.

I replied to let you know that people do read the posts :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Sorry for resurrecting this, but I am curious. I have a 2016 Trailhawk. Can someone give more explanation at how this works out when the swap is complete? I have heated seats and a backup camera. Does the apple car play work? Does the touch screen work? How much will I need to convince the dealer to reprogram? Does it seem like a hack job when all done? any links to a tutorial would also be appreciated!
Hey, sorry for the delayed response. You will lose the volume knob on the radio obviously so you will only be able to do this if you have the steering wheel radio controls on the back of the steering wheel or add the controls. Touch screen works perfectly as does the backup camera. The climate control features will show on the radio but have no effect due to a change in the control module (it is likely possible to make it work based on what I read on a Ram forum but I am not that technically inclined). I have simply swapped out the icon on the main screen with a different app. Also should be noted that a small climate icon shows in the upper left corner that cannot be removed. Apple carplay does work beautifully, however, for anyone else curious Android Auto does not due to the USB wiring used with the standard previous Uconnect radios not meeting sync requirements. Looks perfect when installed. I will update the original post with a how to tonight as I never thought about it previously.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Updated with brief how-to and to remove unnecessary information.

If you do not have the steering wheel audio controls then do not install the Uconnect 4 as you will have no volume control.

To start you will need these parts: 68439802AA for the radio and 6VN67LXH-AA for the bezel.
You will also need:
Trim removal tool, torx screwdriver (unsure of exact size), and I'd suggest a container to place screws in while performing the swap.

I used ALFAOBD for Android and a OBDLINK MX obd reader to complete the setup, but, you can have a dealer do a proxi alignment. Two bits of caution - if you are not comfortable with using ALFAOBD then I advise against it as you can potentially leave your Jeep with all kinds of lights on the dash and /or undriveable. Do this at your own risk. If you don't use ALFAOBD I recommend getting quotes for the proxi alignment before performing the installation as not all dealers will do this for you and/or the overall cost may be more than you want to spend.

Start by removing the bezel around the original radio. Do not use a screw driver to get the trim off as you could damage your dash, radio, or bezel.
Once the bezel is removed the four screws holding the radio in will need to be removed. Place these in a container until you are ready to install new radio.
Pull the radio out and disconnect the wires in back. They have color coded plugs and will match the new radio.
Now you will install the new radio exactly as you removed the old one.

The new radio will require a pin to unlock if used so be sure it is included as not all sellers include it. Enter pin now if required.

At this point you will either visit a dealer for the proxi alignment or use ALFAOBD. If you are using a dealer you are done. Note that your odometer reading will flash.

If you are going to proceed with ALFAOBD then read the next post.
Hi!!
Do you think this can work with 8.4 Uconnect?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It probably will - I would visit the dealer and get part # for radio and the trim to avoid ordering the wrong stuff. If you get the right radio you could add nav and Travel Link with the upgrade

·
Registered
5 Posts
You will first connect OBDLINK MX to your OBD port under the drivers side dash.

Launch ALFAOBD and select your vehicle.

Select Body Computer and then select the same from the second dropdown

Select Car Configuration Change

Enable the following settings:
Uconnect 7 Active
Apple Carplay
Android Auto
Connected Services
APPS present
Surround

Select as below:
Infotainment Configuration - Beats Brand White
Audio System Type - Beats
Radio Type - Level 4

Perform proxi alignment
I tried this but i got this message ”Proxy configuration is too short. The system option selected can not be retrieved”

What should I do?

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey, sorry for the delayed response. You will lose the volume knob on the radio obviously so you will only be able to do this if you have the steering wheel radio controls on the back of the steering wheel or add the controls. Touch screen works perfectly as does the backup camera. The climate control features will show on the radio but have no effect due to a change in the control module (it is likely possible to make it work based on what I read on a Ram forum but I am not that technically inclined). I have simply swapped out the icon on the main screen with a different app. Also should be noted that a small climate icon shows in the upper left corner that cannot be removed. Apple carplay does work beautifully, however, for anyone else curious Android Auto does not due to the USB wiring used with the standard previous Uconnect radios not meeting sync requirements. Looks perfect when installed. I will update the original post with a how to tonight as I never thought about it previously.
Solid writeup! What I wouldn't give for CarPlay in the 2016 Latitude. Sometimes our iPhones do not want to play nice. texts are a nope. Calls are 90% hit & 10% miss. Overall a good little factory radio, but super basic. Touch screens annoy me, especially in snowy NY where we often rock chunky gloves. I miss buttons... But the wife doesn't and it's her vehicle. Happy wife... You know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You should be able to use the part numbers listed and it should work on 2016 or even older. I was looking into swapping out the ac controls to the 2018 but that requires a total dash swap and a harness adapter.
So this should work on a 2015? what is this i read about a different harness?

·
Registered
5 Posts
hello, i try to enable apple carplay/android auto and uconnect 7 in alfaobd but program write "proxy configuration is too short"

what am i doing wrong?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts