Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
83K miles. 2015 Sport 1.4T and 6M tranny. 95% expressway miles. Meaning 1 mile to highway, 50 miles at 65mph, 1 mile to work.

Always a smoothly engaged shifter and clutch. Never an issue. Never dropped or burnt.

And then last week, the sound of dried leaves swirling around a bushel basket loud enough to make you step back came from the clutch area against the engine. The flying debris sound stayed at a constant speed, just up and down on volume with engine revs. i couldn't definitively rule in or out internal problem on that side of engine internals. Having a 100K engine warranty, I dropped it at the dealer where it was making the racket for the service writer, but then later not for the mechanic. Seriously. Not the mechanic. i even went down and it was dead silent. Been driving it since and with very little of the same noise. I'm just going to drive till it explodes to get a hard diagnosis. I think the 22# DMF is coming apart. Mild harmonic vibration from a few days before the noise through to today still. I'll link the sound file later.

Why don't I ditch it? The chassis is perfect, engine perfect, about to refresh the brakes, ball joints, shocks. Even when refreshed, the Renny is only valued at about 8K. Where could I get anything this refreshed for that low $? Even with new upgraded clutch, we're at $9.5K for a fantastically upgraded, like new Renny I couldn't get anywhere. And I like the darn thing.

I'm readying by getting a SPEC Stage 1 clutch (organic) to mate to a Clutch Masters Steel Flywheel FW-401-SF. A stouter clutch pack to a 19# single mass billet steel flywheel. I'll followup as things happen.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let’s see if I can post these.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here's the cause of all this: All the above getting shoved in the next few weeks.
My best guess is now, a spring came out and is being tossed around the bell housing.
Basket sound

The SPEC 1 disc is organic with copper and kevlar fibers. 6 springs from oem's 4. Useable friction thickness is 1.25mm each side before you hit rivets. Average in most makers is that or slightly less.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well...my machinist backed out. Flywheel doesn’t mount up to his balancer. Needs to be hard mounted, can’t be creative with cones. So $$$ to lathe an adapter. Low on manpower, nobody’s picking up orders, etc.

Not easy finding someone who can balance a clutch / flywheel nowadays. 40 years ago around here you couldn’t swing a wrench without hitting a real machinist.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts