Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

This is my first new vehicle ever, my first Jeep, and my first 4x4. I love my Renegade Latitude 4x4 but the Uconnect 5.0 system really kind of sucks. Has anyone upgraded to the 6.5 one after buying the Jeep with the 5.0? How much did it cost? Also, I am looking into Android Auto decks. Has anyone put one of those in? If so, can you still access the Jeeps vehicle settings through the Android Auto deck?

I need all the info I can get about this, please.

Thanks!

:ReneBlueWave:

·
Super Moderator
3,335 Posts
People have asked dealers if you can swap in the 6.5. They were told no. Given the integrated cell network that isn't in 5.0 cars, and the level of integration into the car, I doubt you could get the software all correct from their diagnostic system.

As for aftermarket integration, not likely. The only ones I know with the modern vehicle config stuff that you can swap have the fancy stuff on a separate display. Even those it is tricky.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just asked the Dealership today if I can swap my substandard radio (the basic model) for the 5.0 and was told no due to it will not communicate correctly. Whatever that means. Is this true?

·
Super Moderator
3,335 Posts
Just asked the Dealership today if I can swap my substandard radio (the basic model) for the 5.0 and was told no due to it will not communicate correctly. Whatever that means. Is this true?
Probably. The head unit is programmed to talk to the bcm and dash unit. They all need to be configured to be on the same page about the configuration of the other bits. Likely you are talking a whole lot of labor to get it all configured. For something like the 6.5 you need radios and antennas and wiring that isn't there.

Technically could it be done? Yeah they build them so they can be rebuilt to be the same. But if they told you it was going to take $8000 and two months of waiting for the next part they found out they missed, the answer would likely be no. So they say no.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
You aren't missing all that much with the 5.0. I like the 5.0 in my car (with 9 speaker upgrade). My other car has the 8.4 system and I don't use all the features that it has that the 5.0 doesn't (except the performance pages).

Save the headaches and if you really want a Renegade with the 6.4, trade yours in after a couple years. The audio systems (and the car) might be even better by then.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hi All,

This is my first new vehicle ever, my first Jeep, and my first 4x4. I love my Renegade Latitude 4x4 but the Uconnect 5.0 system really kind of sucks. Has anyone upgraded to the 6.5 one after buying the Jeep with the 5.0? How much did it cost? Also, I am looking into Android Auto decks. Has anyone put one of those in? If so, can you still access the Jeeps vehicle settings through the Android Auto deck?

I need all the info I can get about this, please.

Thanks!

:ReneBlueWave:
Your not missing noting other then the navigation all the other stuff like apps and u connect access is more trivial then anything and cost extra money with a subscription over $150 a year and that's not including Sirius another subscription fee there's no reason to really play with a radio display unless u got a passenger whos bored lol

·
Registered
196 Posts
most likely yes the 3.0 radio is just am/fm theres no Sirius which means no antenna for the sat signal a new 5.0 HU will do nothing and then theres the back up camera not only that what people don't understand again another lesson on me working on caddys is a radio head unit is not just a radio anymore but usually the command center for the car when u start playing with things u don't understand or let techs do it like adding aftermarket add ons who also don't understand u run the risk of having major issues and even voiding your warranty u also most likely will lose stock controls when I had my caddys the radio was part of the theftlock and passkey system if u took it out the car and tried to start it the car knows its not there so the car actually engaged the engine immobilizer and it lost comms with the ecu meaning good luck driving the car with out it since the vin was also programed in the radio making it useless to use in another car we on the forums had a guy who was a electrical engineer former GM employee make us a custom harness to trick the computer into thinking the OEM HU was there still lost stock controls though ether way anything can be done with money but make sure you find some one who knows the wiring diagram and has knowledge of electrical circuits because it might require a work around enjoy!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also have a 5.0N. Right now, I'm considering just getting an iPad mini, buying a dash mount and using that. I don't know much about Android tablets, but would that work for you?

One of my sons spoke to the "lead audio" guy at a dealership and he said that there are a few different wiring diagrams for the jeep renegade. According to him, it's not possible to do a simple swap of the 5.0N for the 6.5. As far as replacing the head unit with a third party, the 3.0 doesn't have the car functions built in, but the others do. He wasn't sure if any third party head units would work with 5.0N and 6.5.

My son did find a video of someone who had replaced his head unit, but he's Italian:
, so I guess it's possible.

You may be interested in these discussions if you haven't already found them:

http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/forum/65-electronics-audio-lights/19209-can-navigation-added-lower-end-uconnect.html

http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/forum/65-electronics-audio-lights/23841-renegade-audio-guide-head-unit-removal-2.html

·
Registered
610 Posts
Installing an aftermarket unit isn't a big deal. All that's required is wiring. Matra or one of the companies just recently released a wiring harness adapter. Unlikely you'd be able to retain ability to adjust vehicle settings. So if you're going to go that route... make sure you are really happy with your settings before swapping out the head units. And, if you disconnect the battery after you've set your settings, my guess is everything will be reset to default.

·
Super Moderator
3,335 Posts
Installing an aftermarket unit isn't a big deal. All that's required is wiring. Matra or one of the companies just recently released a wiring harness adapter. Unlikely you'd be able to retain ability to adjust vehicle settings. So if you're going to go that route... make sure you are really happy with your settings before swapping out the head units. And, if you disconnect the battery after you've set your settings, my guess is everything will be reset to default.
Yup, plus there are some things like backup guidelines that can be kicked back to the default off without disconnecting the battery OR going through a head unit menu.

·
Registered
210 Posts
IF the claims by at least two aftermarket companies are correct, you can buy a device that holds settings to go "inline" with the new stereo. Wish I could remember the company, but googling will help. Once you have that and the proper metra adapter for wheel control and other functions, you could upgrade from the "upper" model.

I have seriously considered this. However, there are so many electronic and brain quirks right now in the Renegade, that no dealer is going to be able to help me OR YOU with anything that develops if that head end is not in, I'd be very, very sure. My unit is not holding settings, as are many other users' Renegades on this site. It's returning for it's second diagnostic with files being extracted and sent to the STAR team at Chrysler-Jeep this week. The best hope for anyone having these difficulties is to use what you have, get the upgrades and fixes under warranty by continually returning to the dealership, and if it all STABILIZES, then, see if you want to put that other box in back of an aftermarket unit and have it hold/change your settings no matter what.

I'd have to search through tons of posts to find the two products, but they are out there. There's even a "plug and play" that fits with no adapters except for the backup camera, but it won't control your system. Search for "infodapter" kit, try radio-upgrade.com for the plug and play, and start your research. It LOOKS like the infodapter may preserve all functions except probably the emergency calls through Uconnect. Not sure.

Changing the radio as a decision depends on how much of the original functionality you wish to retain and how well your Renegade is functioning now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Upgrading the 5.0 Uconnect Dash to 6.5 or Android Auto?

This is going to be a really dumb question, but...what if all you want to do is upgrade from the 6 speakers it came with to 9? Is that going to mean the same set of problems, and if not, are aftermarket speakers at Best Buy ok?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I think the moral of the story is to buy the head unit you want with the car. Me, I got the 5.0 and am very happy with it. In fact, it's weak signal performance on FM is better than any car radio I've ever had! I find the programmable car settings easy to access and use and the audio quality is quite acceptable.

I had no interest in the UConnect calling system and may not even keep the sat radio after the year is up so the 5.0 was a good fit. For Navigation I purchased a Garmin unit with lifetime maps and traffic for a 10th of the cost of the 6.5 upgrade. The plus is that I can use the Garmin in any of my vehicles.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,335 Posts
This is going to be a really dumb question, but...what if all you want to do is upgrade from the 6 speakers it came with to 9? Is that going to mean the same set of problems, and if not, are aftermarket speakers at Best Buy ok?

If you are fine with the head unit, there are a number of strategies for speakers, amps, subs, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
3.0 to 5.0 upgrade

I just bought a the 2016 sport black/black with the Uconnect 3.0 radio. Several days after my wife has complained about the radio not having Bluetooth capability. Is is possible to purchase the Uconnect 5.0 and just install it (plug an play) or would this be a dealership project. I would hate to have to take it to the dealer to have it upgraded, $$$$$ out the a$$$$.

·
Registered
46 Posts
uConnect 5.0 Stereo

i have the 5.0/ra2 stereo in my 16 Trailhawk and wonder if i can buy a different uConnect to replace this one that seems to be very cheap

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have the 5.0/ra2 stereo in my 16 Trailhawk and wonder if i can buy a different uConnect to replace this one that seems to be very cheap
From what I've been able to find online it isn't a simple procedure. You'd have to first get the 6.5 unit you want. The GPS/SiriusXM antenna if you're going that route and also the dashboard display. From there it should wire up like normal but would require a flash to BCM from the dealership to set it up and adjust your mileage and vin data. This is all under the assumption that any dealership would even do this for you.

I have a buddy who manages a junk/scrap yard and is on a vigilant lookout for any Renegades that come in. I'm hoping to grab a trailhawk for the bumpers, tow hooks and quite possibly the stereo and dash if available. Worst case I'm out a few bucks and hours picking the parts on the stereo.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts