·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
First Jeep Renegade Validation Prototype (VP) built at new Brazil Jeep Factory

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I was very disappointed to see the "Spring 2015" announcement by Jeep on my Google+ account.

All that much longer to wait now. Still well before I'm ready to buy though, so I'll hang in there.
Yup, i was also disappointed to see that as well but i think that anyone who really wants this will wait, hopefully jeep won't lose out much on sales.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
First Jeep Renegade Validation Prototype (VP) built at new Brazil Jeep Factory

I think my Renny will be white but I'd love to see it in a nice cream color. With a brown or black interior. Ohhhhhhhhh.

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
Yup, i was also disappointed to see that as well but i think that anyone who really wants this will wait, hopefully jeep won't lose out much on sales.
They probably will. The renegade isn't making a new segment. It's theoretically engaged in competitive intrusion into a segment that currently has about 200k buyers annually. It's a segment that's expected to grow, but at the same time you have toyota, honda, chevy, and probably some others heading into it as well. FCA has allocated capacity to serve about 1.5x the total customer base for the segment to date.

The mini, the juke, and the buick are already here. The honda is supposed to show up in May. The segment isn't exactly populated by 100k+ trailhawk buyers, and showing up 5th or 6th to the scrum with plenty of good enough there already, and some of those with a rep for better quality, is not a good plan.

There's going to be a meaningful opportunity cost in the delay, how big depends on how well the other manufacturers hit their dates and price points.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I called my local Jeep dealership and the sales person told me that they called Detroit and he claims they told him that the Renegades would not be in the US until September of 2015!!! Does he know something we don't? I want one NOWWWW!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
There's going to be a meaningful opportunity cost in the delay, how big depends on how well the other manufacturers hit their dates and price points.
Raz, great points.

Now, for an Open Letter to Mr. Jeep, Mike Manley:

Dear Mr. Manley,

We understand your background is international, but you are now head of an American Brand, Jeep. We understand you want to sell the new Renegade into 100 markets but it appears you are your team are very short sighted in not making the country that gave birth to the Jeep a priority.

It is simply inexcusable for you to have delay after delay when your marketing head has said it would be released at the end of this year or first of next. For normal people, meaning your potential customers, this is interrupted as December 2014 to January 2015.

I have to ask myself, is the Renegade worth the gamble on FCA reliability? Do I really need 4x4 when I'm on paved roads 99% of the time? Will the Rav4, Subaru Forester or others meet my needs, sure.

So what does "Since 1941" mean? 99 other countries or the United States?

Regards, A. Potential Customer

Reactions: JeffExs

·
Registered
31 Posts
I called my local Jeep dealership and the sales person told me that they called Detroit and he claims they told him that the Renegades would not be in the US until September of 2015!!! Does he know something we don't? I want one NOWWWW!
Well, I need to replace my 97 Civic and wanted an AWD vehicle for the longest time because of our winters here. Too bad with these delays, I was expecting Jeep by Jan. 2015, so now I am on Plan "B". I'll be looking at a 2015 Juke due out around Dec 2015. The AWD system is not bad and it's fun to drive. Renegade will come at a later date.....I usually keep my cars for awhile, but with this segmant being so competitive, they'll probably have me changing my buying habits, in that I may switch cars within 3 years, very unusual for me , but it could be fun :).

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Looks like this is why we may not be getting the Renegade anytime soon:

"less on flooding the U.S. market with more Jeeps and more with taking an iconic brand global,"

Marchionne reiterated his aggressive target for boosting Jeep's annual volume to 1.9 million, while pacing the floor of the New York Stock Exchange on Monday during the newly merged company's first day of trading.

Counters longtime auto analyst and consultant Maryann Keller: "Realistically, he's not going to make the numbers."

Barclays Capital expects Jeep sales to reach 1.4 million by 2018. Whether Marchionne can hit the higher target depends "less on flooding the U.S. market with more Jeeps and more with taking an iconic brand global," Barclays analyst Brian Johnson said in an interview on Tuesday.

Considering the swarm of new competitors coming, especially in the compact SUV segment, Schuster described Marchionne's target for Jeep as "unrealistic" and "a very, very difficult road."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/r-se...op-global-brand-by-2018-2014-10#ixzz3GAKD46kI

·
Registered
23 Posts
Made in Brazil makes sense. The Fiat 500L starts at nearly $20k in the US. The Renegade should be $18,000, much less than it costs in Europe if you exchange rate count. It must be cheaper to manufacture in Brazil to enable the sub $20k price in the USA. It should cost more to manufacture a Renegade than a 500L unless I am missing something. I know the Renegade has a lot more high strength steel for example, add robust 4 wheel drive etc.

And yes, made in Brazil should equate to risk of even lower quality. The list of reasons is long.

I really liked the compelling size and feature set of the Renegade when it was first announced. I see the potential to fill a growing missing class in the Jeep line-up. However, everything I have seen and read since the initial announcement has me growing much less interested each month when I check in! The final product when it arrives may leave us all saying "you get what you pay for".

·
Registered
402 Posts
My interest in the Renegade has been waning as well. I'm leaning towards a Wrangler as my next vehicle.

Scott

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
I really liked the compelling size and feature set of the Renegade when it was first announced. I see the potential to fill a growing missing class in the Jeep line-up. However, everything I have seen and read since the initial announcement has me growing much less interested each month when I check in! The final product when it arrives may leave us all saying "you get what you pay for".
I'm in a similar boat. At best at this point, short term lease so if it is a POS I can dump it back on FCA.

It isn't cars, but the product I have dealt with manufactured out of Brazil has a common theme. It's pretty good value right up until it has a moving part, and then it becomes very hit or miss.

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts

He knows he's sick of the question so told you a date really far away to make you stop asking?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I think the best thing to do is by default consider it a POS, and go for a short lease, at least you always have the option of buying it out after if all goes well and if you like it that much.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm in a similar boat. At best at this point, short term lease so if it is a POS I can dump it back on FCA.

It isn't cars, but the product I have dealt with manufactured out of Brazil has a common theme. It's pretty good value right up until it has a moving part, and then it becomes very hit or miss.
Renegades sold in the US will be built in Italy, not Brazil.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Renegades sold in the US will be built in Italy, not Brazil.
Jayhawk, save your money, don't bet on it.

There are no guarantees when it comes to FCA, in January Sergio Marchionne said the Wrangler would never leave Toledo, this month he says it will.

Jeep Marketing said the Renegade would be out "January 1", now they say spring.
http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/fo...ion/4225-us-launch-date-rumors.html#post39353

The arival date in the U.S. of the "spring" now aligns with planned production from the new Brazil factory. If they were coming from Italy they could be here sooner.
http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/fo...n/4225-us-launch-date-rumors-4.html#post47489

"I suppose that part of the Jeep Renegade production will be used for NAFTA market."
https://www.allpar.com/forums/thread...ost-1084627095

I'm just connecting the dots, hopefully you have some solid information about Italy?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm just connecting the dots, hopefully you have some solid information about Italy?
Here they are!

3 days ago FCA Italian plant stated with 24h shifts to make more than 350 Renegade by day. The unions say that the production is about 100-120 Jeep per shift and in this month the production will reach more than 7000 Renegade.

The FCA Italian plant is one of the most advanced in the world, but it is still in "settling-in period", it will get full in January, once the "italian cousin" Fiat 500X all be in production together.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
month the production will reach more than 7000 Renegade.
Hi Mich,
Thanks for the figures, thats is good news. So more reading that maybe half speed, but 500x production comes on line Jan 1, so 7000 per month for the Renegade may be maximum capactity, hope I'm wrong?

Looking at sales figures for the Wrangler, approaching 20,000 per month Global sales and Cherokee approaching 20,000 per month for Global sales, most people seem to think the Renegade will go over big, so I would think their sales should approach 20,000 per month as well. (not to mention the Compass and Patriot sales that will be cannibalized).

So if there is 20,000 per month expected Renegade sales less 7,000 per month current capacity, means we are still 13,000 per month short in capacity. Can Italy still ramp up further? Does anyone have info on the maximum capacity for the Italy Renegade line at full capacity?

What is the full capacity of the new Brazil plant for the Renegade?

Sales Releases:
http://media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do?id=15487&mid=4
http://media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do?&id=15205&mid=

·
Registered
141 Posts

Raz, does a Taurus made firearm come to mind... Yikes.. I utilize the lifetime warranty more frequently than I would like.

41 - 60 of 357 Posts