Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. My iPod continues to charge from the center console USB after I turn off the car and remove my key. Any way to disable this? I don't want to drain the battery.

Also, hit 1000 miles and loving my Renegade!:ReneBlueWave:

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Check the manual & fuse box. I don't know how the USB is wired.

I can tell you this. In my Dodge Challenger, the fuse for the 12 V power source has two positions; one hot all the time, and the other hot only with the key on.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi all. My iPod continues to charge from the center console USB after I turn off the car and remove my key. Any way to disable this? I don't want to drain the battery.

Also, hit 1000 miles and loving my Renegade!:ReneBlueWave:
Is your radio set to stay on after turning off the vehicle as well? Does the ipod continue to charge after you open the door?

I searched for this online and some say (on other vehicles) it will only continue to charge while the battery is charging, so when you turn your engine off, it may continue charging for a short time. But the car is off, does the battery still charge?

Also, the iPod shouldn't draw enough power to cause an issue if your battery is in good shape. (below quote from another site)
"USB-cables normally give 0.5 A output. The Ipod uses 5W according to it's marking on the back. The amp (A) or current is calculated from the formula: P=UxI which gives I=P/U in this case 5W/12V = 0.4167 amps. That fits the above 0.5 A from the USB. Now, a normal car battery is 75-90 Ah. Meaning that if the Ipod constantly would use 0.4167 amps (A) per hour it would get drained in 180-216 hours... (75/0.4167 or 90/0.4167)."​
*You might have to recalculate if it uses a different amount of power, but it seems like it wouldn't cause a problem.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My nephews always liked when their power points would run with the engine off. They would leave their phone chargers plugged in and charge the phone overnight in the car. It shouldn't be a problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.