Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,, Hoping someone knows, But I have over 4000 songs on my USB Drive in the port , I use shuffle BUT I keep hearing the same damned songs! Sometimes I get some that were not heard, But it seems like they are in a loop. I removed the usb drive and reinserted, Turned off shuffle. Still hearing the same songs! Does anyone have this happen? It is weird!

·
Super Moderator
1,380 Posts
How to you select shuffle?

If shuffles what you have selected to play.
So to shuffle everything you need to go into browse, click on "all songs" set it playing and then activate shuffle.

·
Registered
517 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Similar thing happens to me. Only the root folder, only about 140 tracks, but although shuffle works it isn't a true shuffle - the same 50% or so of the tracks keep being played (albeit in a random order) and the remainder are played only once in a blue moon. If I alter the structure of the folder (add or delete tracks) then a different 50% is played. Think it's just a rubbish random number algorithm...

·
Registered
361 Posts
I just checked my micro USB I have in my 2017 Latitude. I have 2,479 songs in 997 folders. I can pick any artist or song at any time and it plays with no problem. If I chose Shuffle, the only thing I DON'T like is it starts at the same songs EVERY time. If I "uncheck" shuffle than advance one song then choose shuffle again, it does randomly choose songs. Makes zero sense.

·
Super Moderator
1,380 Posts
It only shuffles what's been cued up to play.

I select Albums->All Songs hit play and it always starts with Blondie, Dreaming (1st track on Eat To The Beat) then hit shuffle and > will advance to a random track.

Doing it via Album means if you drop out of shuffle you can < > through an Album and play the whole album, then go back to shuffle.

:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
The problem with all the shuffle functions is that the random number generator/algorithm is not truly random. Thats true of all devices, from ipods on up. I usually play mine in alphabetical order by song which works better than shuffle as you wont hear the same handful of songs multiple times.

·
Super Moderator
1,380 Posts
I think the really good algos are not random.
They keep track of what has been previously
played and don't cue up the same track/album or artist within x track plays.

A true random select would have the same chance of playing the same track again as playing any other track. (1/4000 in OP’s case)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello,, Hoping someone knows, But I have over 4000 songs on my USB Drive in the port , I use shuffle BUT I keep hearing the same damned songs! Sometimes I get some that were not heard, But it seems like they are in a loop. I removed the usb drive and reinserted, Turned off shuffle. Still hearing the same songs! Does anyone have this happen? It is weird!
You have a large number of songs that need to be loaded properly. First you have to organize your USB flash Drive correctly. Make sure that you have MP3 files only and not other formats. The MP3 tags must be proper for it to load correctly. I use a third party freeware to do it as Itunes is garbage for this purpose. Use a 32 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive and not a USB 3.0 as they over heat and stop loading after a few minutes. When you insert the USB drive for the first time keep the radio on for couple hours (Yes that's how long it takes for all songs to load up averaging 15-30 minutes per 1000 songs depending on the quality of USB drive ) by keeping the ignition on but engine, AC and all lights cut off or you can do it while driving long distance for couple hours without turning the power off. Do not turn on the shuffle first time as it will take longer to register all songs. Once all the songs are loaded, the HU will generates its own list (Hidden) that it will access quickly next time you turn on the unit. Now you should be able to play it random, choose different tags like Artist, Albums, Folders and Genre. I have well over 6000 songs neatly organized in 4 folders and it plays fine with pictures displayed on every song.

I hope this helps. Definitely worked for me.

arvindnc

·
Registered
361 Posts
Also, I found that if you leave the USB drive plugged in and never take it out, it doesn't have to reload all the songs every time you start the vehicle. I use a 64GB SanDisk low profile USB. Barely sticks out of the port, maybe less than a 1/4" so it can't get snagged on anything and damage the drive or more importantly, the port. Looks like a port cover more than anything. The "standard" USB drive sticking out more than an inch is just begging for damage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
** I use a third party freeware to do it as Itunes is garbage for this purpose...

arvindnc
What third party freeware software are you using (do you have a link)?
I am not happy with iTunes (I am not an Apple kind of guy).

Thanks
I use mp3tag a freeware available for download. Small but highly useful tool. I also use mp3gain to normalize volume on the files so that all files have the same level instead of fiddling volume control frequently. The flash drive I use is a 32 gb Sandisk micro cruzer usb 2.0. its so small you wont even know it is there.

Hope this works out

Arvindnc

·
Registered
17 Posts
Also, I found that if you leave the USB drive plugged in and never take it out, it doesn't have to reload all the songs every time you start the vehicle. I use a 64GB SanDisk low profile USB. Barely sticks out of the port, maybe less than a 1/4" so it can't get snagged on anything and damage the drive or more importantly, the port. Looks like a port cover more than anything. The "standard" USB drive sticking out more than an inch is just begging for damage.
Yes! Thats true but it will keep going back to the first song listed alphabetically which can be annoying. You cannot access any ot the tags like genre, artist or composer until all the files are fully loaded nor do you get the pictures associated with the song or album.

Arvindnc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts