Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here use the select shift on their 9 speed? I use it almost exclusively. I have been experimenting and have come to discover that I can get better mpg (almost 2 mpg) over running it auto. I have had no problems with my 9 speed, everything is running great. I have noticed that in regular mode it tends to shift into higher gear when its not really needed. In my experience the best rpm range is around the 2k mark. It will shift into 7th while in town at low speeds and really dog. If I blip the throttle it shifts down when needed as it should but there is a waste of fuel when doing so. I have found that by keeping it in 5th or 6th around town, I keep the rpm a little higher but with less throttle my mpg is a lot higher. Also on the freeway, I use it to only force 9th when completely flat or down hill. 8th seems to yield better mpg at highway speeds (70 mph or so) unless its down hill or flat. I use it while offroading too. I use it pretty much everywhere. I know the 9 speed is an automatic but I actually enjoy driving it like a manual. I have gotten used to the delay and shift response and found its really enjoyable.

Anyone else doing this? Try it for a day or so. Also it will automatically downshift for you when coming to a stop. You can still downshift yourself to prep for a turn if you feel the need but coming to a stop it will drop back down to 2nd for you. you can force it to 1st if you want as well.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I use it a lot also and I agree that the mileage seems better. This is my 3rd vehicle with the auto shift feature and have found the Renegade to be the most repsonsive and fastest auto shift that I have used so far. I really enjoy it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Using it - not exclusively, but use it.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Move the lever to the left , may be right on yours. You will see a + and - marked beside the gear positions. Push the lever toward+ to change up a gear toward - to change down a gear. The gear position will be displayed on the instrument panel.

It will still change down itself if you try to go too slow in too high a gear and change up to stop you over revving.

It is also a way to check what gear you are in.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Nick1236,

When I shift manually, it's usually to get into the flow of traffic, or I'm on a road with very little traffic, and my shift points are between 3500-4000 rpm. As you might be able to tell, mpg is not on my mind. It's just fun to do.>:D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Nick1236,

When I shift manually, it's usually to get into the flow of traffic, or I'm on a road with very little traffic, and my shift points are between 3500-4000 rpm. As you might be able to tell, mpg is not on my mind. It's just fun to do.>:D
I have largely ignored that auto stick for the past few months but this morning I did just that. Very fun indeed!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I use it all the time, particularly in passing situations. I also use it in heavy traffic a lot as staying in 2nd or 3rd is a lot easier than the auto constantly shifting in and out when I'm in the middle of stop and go.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Nick1236,

On my Audi the variable intake manifold switches over at 3400 RPM, giving me a very noticeable power boost. Thus I tend to shift up only upward of 5000 RPM and in fact frequently redline the engine. What is this mpg you mention? >:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use it for passing on the freeway. Quicker to just drop a couple of gears before the passing maneuver than waiting on it to do it automatically.
Sometimes in traffic to hold a gear for power in case is have to boogie past a turtle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.