Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got them this past summer and installed. Were a PITA as the screw provided were not long enough so I had to hit up the local hard ware store. I called Valkyrie and they said they can't keep up with all the changes Jeep makes every year. Whatever...anyways, I ended up installing them. Definitely pricey for what they are but they are solid as a rock. I use them to keep some of my gear up off the precious little cargo area. I keep a flashlight w/charger, seat belt cutter, Gerber Takedown Axe just to name a few on the left side. Still havent' decided what to place on the right side.
What I'm trying to find out is if anyone else has them. I can't find a way to use the cargo cover that came with the Jeep to key the prying eyes away. Lots of sketchy people where I live. I will be getting my windows tinted this Spring. I have to wait for the "great" State of NY to approve my window tint exemption. I have an eye condition to where I see everything brighter in the right eye and it's extremely painful at times.

Anyway, if anyone has an answer I'd appreciate it.

I'm contemplating doing 1 of 2 things...
1 - Cut the cover to fit around the panels when the cargo hatch is closed
2 - Getting something like this (https://www.amazon.com/Hooke-Road-I...8611&sprefix=jeep+rear+storage,aps,171&sr=8-4) and modifying it to my needs. Even perhaps installing some hood support struts so I can lift it up if needed.

I swear I lose sleep thinking of different way to create additional storage. I can envision what I want...but creating it usually ends up in be half a$$ed.

Thoughts? Ideas? Anyone already do this and save me the time and headaches?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got them this past summer and installed. Were a PITA as the screw provided were not long enough so I had to hit up the local hard ware store. I called Valkyrie and they said they can't keep up with all the changes Jeep makes every year. Whatever...anyways, I ended up installing them. Definitely pricey for what they are but they are solid as a rock. I use them to keep some of my gear up off the precious little cargo area. I keep a flashlight w/charger, seat belt cutter, Gerber Takedown Axe just to name a few on the left side. Still havent' decided what to place on the right side.
What I'm trying to find out is if anyone else has them. I can't find a way to use the cargo cover that came with the Jeep to key the prying eyes away. Lots of sketchy people where I live. I will be getting my windows tinted this Spring. I have to wait for the "great" State of NY to approve my window tint exemption. I have an eye condition to where I see everything brighter in the right eye and it's extremely painful at times.

Anyway, if anyone has an answer I'd appreciate it.

I'm contemplating doing 1 of 2 things...
1 - Cut the cover to fit around the panels when the cargo hatch is closed
2 - Getting something like this (https://www.amazon.com/Hooke-Road-Interior-2007-2018-Unlimited/dp/B01N5QYIJ7/ref=sr_1_4?crid=BI3YU756WRNA&keywords=jeep+rear+storage&qid=1642918611&sprefix=jeep+rear+storage,aps,171&sr=8-4) and modifying it to my needs. Even perhaps installing some hood support struts so I can lift it up if needed.

I swear I lose sleep thinking of different way to create additional storage. I can envision what I want...but creating it usually ends up in be half a$$ed.

Thoughts? Ideas? Anyone already do this and save me the time and headaches?
Plywood cut to fit, indoor/outdoor carpet adhesive and black nylon carpet-like material to cover...maybe?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Thoughts? Ideas?
We've got a 2021 Trailhawk too. I agree; storage space is at a premium.

I can't help you with the racks. But there are a couple things you can do to squeeze some extra storage space securely under the hatch area floor.

One is to get rid of the styrofoam block, at least on the left side of the full-size spare tire (which I assume you've got). Some extra emergency equipment (toolbag, warning triangle, jumper pack) will fit there. I kept the styrofoam block on the right side for the jack and related tools; a light-duty tire inflator fits there up against the back seat.

Another is to flip the spare tire over, so that the hollow offset area of the wheel is facing upward. That volume can be used for extra stuff. You'd need a shorter 50mm-long bolt to hold down the spare tire; an M8-1.25 x 50 bolt from a hardware store will fit right into the plastic OEM hold-down cap. So like this:
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Black Tread

I did this mod for a bit; but then changed back to the original spare-tire configuration, because I couldn't access the inflation valve easily to check pressure in the spare.

I've got a fire extinguisher mounted under front of the driver's seat, and a first-aid kit under the driver's seat from the back. And some basic offroad recovery equipment (recovery straps, etc.) under the passenger seat.

·
Registered
189 Posts
...I kept the styrofoam block on the right side for the jack and related tools; a light-duty tire inflator fits there up against the back seat...
...I did this mod for a bit; but then changed back to the original spare-tire configuration, because I couldn't access the inflation valve easily to check pressure in the spare...
Do you really need to check the air pressure in the spare if you have a tire inflator on board that can be used to re-inflate it if it's low?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Do you really need to check the air pressure in the spare if you have a tire inflator on board that can be used to re-inflate it if it's low?
Good question, now that you mention it. I'm just used to checking the spare tire occasionally for proper pressure.

And the spare tire on its OEM steel wheel is rather heavy to be wrestling out to check, at my age and with my bad back. :rolleyes:

And the inflator isn't particularly quick. I figure it's just there to "top off" the spare tire if/when I actually need to use it.

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good question, now that you mention it. I'm just used to checking the spare tire occasionally for proper pressure.

And the spare tire on its OEM steel wheel is rather heavy to be wrestling out to check, at my age and with my bad back. :rolleyes:

And the inflator isn't particularly quick. I figure it's just there to "top off" the spare tire if/when I actually need to use it.
12" Flexible Air Valve Extension Adaptor Auto Car Tire Stem Extender

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
12" Flexible Air Valve Extension Adaptor Auto Car Tire Stem Extender
What a great idea! Thanks!

So I guess the idea would be to attach this thing to the original valve stem when it's on the bottom with the tire flipped over; and thread it through one of the round holes in the steel spare wheel? Like this, except flipped over of course?
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Have you used this thing? The steel braiding should protect the extension hose as it passes through the hole in the wheel. But it doesn't look like its very flexible. There's no TPMS sensor in the spare tire, and the original valve in the tire is just rubber with a very flexible flange -- I'm worried if this extension bends the valve too much, it could break the seal in the tire...

On the other hand, a rubber extension would be more flexible...but might be susceptible to abrasion through the hole...

·
Registered
15 Posts
What a great idea! Thanks!

So I guess the idea would be to attach this thing to the original valve stem when it's on the bottom with the tire flipped over; and thread it through one of the round holes in the steel spare wheel? Like this, except flipped over of course?
View attachment 2396353316

Have you used this thing? The steel braiding should protect the extension hose as it passes through the hole in the wheel. But it doesn't look like its very flexible. There's no TPMS sensor in the spare tire, and the original valve in the tire is just rubber with a very flexible flange -- I'm worried if this extension bends the valve too much, it could break the seal in the tire...

On the other hand, a rubber extension would be more flexible...but might be susceptible to abrasion through the hole...
So far, so good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts