Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this is a new "one" -- issue/scenario/enigma/etc.

I haven't posted for a while, because I needed to see what would happen with my (replacement via Buy Back) vehicle: 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk.

As some of you may recall, I'm the guy that had one of the, if not THE, first Renegade Trailhawk in the Pacific Northwest (USA) - or at least Portland area. That 1st vehicle had a glitch that caused a major malfunction (see my previous thread detailing what happened: FCA Buy Back).

After the buy back, I got a replacement 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk, with a couple additional options and I bought an extended warranty (just shy of the lifetime warranty) - I paid the MSRP difference between 1st vehicle and the replacement.

I had this replacement vehicle for a few weeks before issues began appearing. It has been in the shop for almost 2 months straight now. I have had a loaner car that I put over 2,500 miles on thus far. The issues range from 9-1-1/Assist buttons not functioning and constantly illuminated red. The Uconnect malfunctioning at "random" intervals. FYI: if your vehicle has the 9-1-1/Assist buttons glowing red, you -must- bring it into the shop as soon as possible- per the User Guide, the Owners Manual and the Uconnect Manual.

They replaced many hardware components and have been working with STAR until the issue got elevated (I think around 5 times) to the highest (or close to) level. FCA/Chrysler Corporate engineer(s) will be working on my vehicle directly.

--------------------
Engineers are now saying: the vehicle coding doesn't match the vehicle and the installed software is the wrong software for the vehicle. Chrysler tried to get the correct coding for the vehicle but has been unsuccsefull - not sure what that means either.

Does anyone know what this means? I hadn't heard about "vehicle coding" before.
--------------------

I've also been told that "FTS" is monitoring the case closely. Anyone know what "FTS" is? I'm guessing the "F" = Fiat.

Any insight would be most appreciated. The next "official" follow-up from the FTS is supposed to be on September 28, 2015. I'm trying so hard to be patient with FCA; but I'm having serious doubts about what I have gotten into and am seriously considering getting a full refund and going to another car company. This sucks on so many levels.

Nothing against the dealership because the dealership service department has been stellar in assisting (nwjeep.com).

Quark :crying:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Girenegade! To add to my original post, the 9-1-1/Assist buttons don't just illuminate when starting, they stay illuminated red all the time and the Uconnect system goes mental at random intervals. Once, both buttons lit up in green... didn't know there were other colors.

Quark

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
My best guess on the problem.

The vehicle comes equipped with a bunch of computer control modules that interface with everything electrical in the car. The modules installed, and the firmware they are programmed with need to match up.

For example, the car expects to be able to detect a bulb fault. The firmware may expect one load for halogen and another for the euro hid lamps. So if someone slaps in a module programmed for a different configuration, expect all sorts of problems.

Then maybe throw in some fun where they plug in the diagnostic computer, it believes the wrong module is right, and then tells you some smaller downstream system is out of date because of it, and updates THAT. Well now you have a REAL mess that the diagnostic system chokes on, or at least maybe lies about.

So then they just try ordering modules set up for your config and swapping them to get them right.

That's my guess.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am in the process of buyback AKA: true test of patience. I had the same "code" problem. My vehicle did not recognize its own VIN number. That was an easy fix compared to what has been happening since. I do not know if I want a replacement Renegade or a different vehicle.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE: Buy Back in process

I'm now in the buy back process... again. This sucks. I love the Renegade when it worked. Not sure if I'm going to go with Jeep again. I'd like to, only if they can give me a "fixed" 2016 model year with lifetime warranty -- we'll see what happens this week.

Vehicle has been in the shop for over 6 consecutive weeks now. This makes me sad :(

Quark
:crying:

·
Registered
38 Posts
WOW. After reading this, I am more concerned than ever about my trailhawk. Like you Quark, I got mine the second day they hit the lot in Pittsburgh. It's been at the dealership since 10/12 due to 'code issues'. They ordered a new instrument cluster but it's on back order with no ETA.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.