Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the site for "vehicle storage" Q&A, and can only find storage finding "compartment and gear" issues. I am looking for advice and experience on seasonal storage regarding the electrical system. Mine is a 2020, 2.4.
My quick thoughts are this:
1. Just disconnect either the positive or negative battery cable for the 5-month period.
2. Hook up one of those trickle chargers that monitors itself, and turns on and off as needed. (From this forum, I have gathered that power disruptions to certain systems can sometimes have consequences.)
Also, the vehicle will be stored in a garage with moderate, cool temps.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
3,660 Posts
Ideally, get a fresh oil change, drain the gas, put it on a battery tender, and get some wheel cradles to prevent flat spotting.

During the initial run of covid, I was only really driving once ever 60 days and the car was fine other than wheel flat spots from sitting. Option two there is put it up on jack stands for the duration.

If draining the gas sounds like it is not feasible, then you are looking at fuel stabilizer. I've uses sta-bil in the past without issue, but that was on a 60-s era car. Option three there is to just run the gas real low and when you go to get it running, bring a can of fresh stuff to mix in with it and maybe add a can of dry gas into the process of refilling it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ideally, get a fresh oil change, drain the gas, put it on a battery tender, and get some wheel cradles to prevent flat spotting.

During the initial run of covid, I was only really driving once ever 60 days and the car was fine other than wheel flat spots from sitting. Option two there is put it up on jack stands for the duration.

If draining the gas sounds like it is not feasible, then you are looking at fuel stabilizer. I've uses sta-bil in the past without issue, but that was on a 60-s era car. Option three there is to just run the gas real low and when you go to get it running, bring a can of fresh stuff to mix in with it and maybe add a can of dry gas into the process of refilling it.
Appreciate the info. I will probably use the battery tender. I will elevate the tire pressure, above driving guidelines, to take care of the tires.
Back in the day, when I winterized my motorcycles, I would fill the tank with gas to prevent possible rusting. I kinda assume the same here for the Renegade. (Of course, a fuel stabilizer is a must.) I find the empty tank scenario interesting. Filling the tank to prevent rust means you better burn out that full tank (with Stabilizer) ASAP, and get some good gas in there sooner instead of later. Food for thought. Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts