Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you have the 2.4L auto, it vibrates at idle, at least the ones I drove did. I could feel it in the steering wheel and in the seat. It kind of annoyed me honestly, reminded me of dealing with my 97 altima and its annoying vibrations. Try putting it in neutral when stopped at a light.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Not all the 2.4 cars have vibration problems. Mine is smooth.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Noisy while in Idle

There has been quite a lot of vibration when idling. Is this normal? It started about 2 days ago ... I'm only at 130 miles.
Mine is realllly noisy too. It has been since the day I brought it home. Seems too loud to me, but I asked the dealership and they said it seemed "normal". I'm going to a different dealership to get my oil changed because I've recently moved, so when I go in, I'll ask them and see what they say too! Mine doesn't really vibrate though. A little...but not much.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the 2.4L. The one I test drove was really smooth which is why I was a bit concerned. The dealership had to swap with another so I can get the exact one I wanted.

I've tried putting it in neutral when stopped at a light. It makes it slightly better but not really.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
You shouldn't have to put it into neutral. Something must be wrong. It could be something like an exhaust pipe hitting a stationary part or even a loose motor mount.

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
The engine is chattery. If it sounds noisy is going to be a matter of opinion, and for noise you should probably post a sample.

Vibration though, I can say I don't feel any in mine from the steering wheel or seat.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sound wise .. sometimes it sounds like a mack truck other times it just sounds like a small uhaul box truck. I'm not too annoyed by the noise but it's the vibration in the steering wheel and seat that's concerning. Person in the passenger seat can feel it too.

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
Sound wise .. sometimes it sounds like a mack truck other times it just sounds like a small uhaul box truck. I'm not too annoyed by the noise but it's the vibration in the steering wheel and seat that's concerning. Person in the passenger seat can feel it too.
OK, vibration wise. If you put a cup of water on it, would you see the surface vibrate? Because for me there's zero motion in the steering wheel although it does conduct the sound of the engine chatter. The seats aren't moving. I'd suggest something is up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
JeepJeep,

Have you driven your Rene fairly hard yet? These engines have a fairly short break in time and some of them take a little coaxing.

If you have not driven it hard yet, warm it up as usual till the temp reads above 160F and then find a safe place to give it wide open throttle through first and second gear (if possible.) This will give a chance for the computer to learn the engine characteristics and wear in the components. Full throttle puts the most stress on the engine and that is important for break in of modern engines. (this isn't you old chevy 350 :D)

You should notice that the harder you drive it the smoother it gets. About every Renegade I have driven had vibrations till I "shook them down" and they smoothed out. Most of these were under 100 miles however our little black limited got a good shake down when we first got it with about 120 or so miles on it. After that it has been smooth ever since.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
JeepJeep,

Have you driven your Rene fairly hard yet? These engines have a fairly short break in time and some of them take a little coaxing.

If you have not driven it hard yet, warm it up as usual till the temp reads above 160F and then find a safe place to give it wide open throttle through first and second gear (if possible.) This will give a chance for the computer to learn the engine characteristics and wear in the components. Full throttle puts the most stress on the engine and that is important for break in of modern engines. (this isn't you old chevy 350 :D)

You should notice that the harder you drive it the smoother it gets. About every Renegade I have driven had vibrations till I "shook them down" and they smoothed out. Most of these were under 100 miles however our little black limited got a good shake down when we first got it with about 120 or so miles on it. After that it has been smooth ever since.

Hope this helps.
Hi, I have a white limited with 4700 miles in it already and still vibrates.Do you think that doing what you explained could help even with this amount of miles? I would try it anyways, the vibration can get really annoying.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What is your RPM's at Idle?
Mine seem high (2.4L) at close to 2k and there is noise/rumble when at idle in gear, and it lurches when I take my foot off the brake.
Makes starts from a stop a not very smooth experience. I swear when i test drove the same car before i got it, it didn't do this.
Seems like the idle is too high IMO, and it doesn't matter when fully warmed up or not.

This is the one thing that bothers me about my Renigade :(
I have about 1800 miles, most of which are (20min) trips to work and back 16 mile each way.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What is your RPM's at Idle?
Mine seem high (2.4L) at close to 2k and there is noise/rumble when at idle in gear, and it lurches when I take my foot off the brake.
Makes starts from a stop a not very smooth experience. I swear when i test drove the same car before i got it, it didn't do this.
Seems like the idle is too high IMO, and it doesn't matter when fully warmed up or not.

This is the one thing that bothers me about my Renigade :(
I have about 1800 miles, most of which are (20min) trips to work and back 16 mile each way.
RMP on mine seem normal and indeed it lurches, especially in the morning when still cool, but I just got use to it and I am prepared for it in the mornings. However the vibration is something really bothering, I thought it maybe normal and I didn't realize it when I test drove the car. IDK what to think, I wouldn't believe is a motor mount issue in a new car but I started to consider it.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
That's about where my 2.4 idles. But mine doesn't feel rough. Maybe not silky smooth like a Lexus, but for a Jeep four cylinder, it feels just right (as I secretly wish it was a V-6 engine with more than 250 hp).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.