Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeing Renegades populate some dealerships but the only specifics are the VIN.

What can we decode from the VIN about a car that's listed with no info?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Can Someone Decode the VIN#

I am curious if anyone can decipher the build date and other info from the VIN #?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The VIN will only have the year built.

·
Registered
100 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
A U.S. VIN no. consists of 17 characters. Pos. 12-17 of the VIN no. is a 6 digit serial no. Pos. 1-11 of the VIN no. identifies the vehicle: country it was destined to be sold in when new, make, model, and year. A Jeep dealership parts dept. person can decode pos. 1-11 and tell you what each character represents. It might also be in a Renegade’s service manual.

In addition, there should be an identification placard located somewhere in the vehicle that gives further identifying coded information such as trim level (Lattitude, Trailhawk, etc.), exterior color, engine, transmission, etc. On my car, the placard is attached to the driver’s side front shock absorber tower. I don’t know where it is on the Renegade. A Renegade Service manual should indicate the placard’s location.

·
Registered
114 Posts
VIN Number and Build Date Comparison

I'm trying to figure out how the VIN number advances based on the build date of the vehicle. From what I know, the last 8 digits of the VIN number are reserved for the Manufacturer to have a sequence number for when that vehicle rolls off the line. The first two characters of that 8 digit code are always letters. My theory is that the letters seem to point in some way to the month it was built.

For example, I found a Renegade on a local lot with this VIN:
ZACCJBCT1FPC12890
It's build date was July 2015.

I've seen other vehicles where those two characters are PB (Instead of PC).
Are there vehicles with "PA" in those two characters out there? What are the build dates of the PA and PB vehicles?

If you could post your letters and build date here, it may help decode what those letters mean.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm trying to figure out how the VIN number advances based on the build date of the vehicle. From what I know, the last 8 digits of the VIN number are reserved for the Manufacturer to have a sequence number for when that vehicle rolls off the line. The first two characters of that 8 digit code are always letters. My theory is that the letters seem to point in some way to the month it was built.

For example, I found a Renegade on a local lot with this VIN:
ZACCJBCT1FPC12890
It's build date was July 2015.

I've seen other vehicles where those two characters are PB (Instead of PC).
Are there vehicles with "PA" in those two characters out there? What are the build dates of the PA and PB vehicles?

If you could post your letters and build date here, it may help decode what those letters mean.
In VINs from Europe:

-First 2 digits identify the country of origin/manufacturer
-3rd digit is 9
-Digits 4-9 identify vehicle characteristics (model/trim/equipment)
-Digits 10-17 identify vehicle specific information

Your target here, digit 12, falls in that last group that identifies things like specific site of construction, date of manufacture, shift, number within a certain lot produced that day or shift, etc.

It might indicate shift (maybe they introduced a 3rd shift after they got comfortable in Melfi or something), but it also could have to do with the opening of some alternative plants around the globe, depending on where you found it.

FWIW, mine is PB, built 2/2015.

·
Registered
114 Posts
In VINs from Europe:

-First 2 digits identify the country of origin/manufacturer
-3rd digit is 9
-Digits 4-9 identify vehicle characteristics (model/trim/equipment)
-Digits 10-17 identify vehicle specific information

Your target here, digit 12, falls in that last group that identifies things like specific site of construction, date of manufacture, shift, number within a certain lot produced that day or shift, etc.

It might indicate shift (maybe they introduced a 3rd shift after they got comfortable in Melfi or something), but it also could have to do with the opening of some alternative plants around the globe, depending on where you found it.

FWIW, mine is PB, built 2/2015.
I wonder if all of the PB VINs were built in the beginning of 2015, like maybe Jan-Jun? Perhaps PA would be Jun - Dec 2014 (Just a guess).

Perhaps you're right, and that it means nothing with regard to date of manufacturer, but rather some other arbitrary indicator that means something to FCA.

Also, since this vehicle is made in Europe, will it get a European VIN? Or do they put US VIN plates on vehicles destined for the US?

·
Registered
377 Posts
I wonder if all of the PB VINs were built in the beginning of 2015, like maybe Jan-Jun? Perhaps PA would be Jun - Dec 2014 (Just a guess).

Perhaps you're right, and that it means nothing with regard to date of manufacturer, but rather some other arbitrary indicator that means something to FCA.

Also, since this vehicle is made in Europe, will it get a European VIN? Or do they put US VIN plates on vehicles destined for the US?
They will always have the Italian VIN. While the standard bearers are slightly different, they reciprocate and accommodate each other's formats around the world. US Departments of Transportation just accept our Italian VINs.

The 9 in the 3rd digit of our VIN's is an example of that; The italian manufacturers use 2 digits to identify country of origin, while North American ones use 3. To keep the other digits and formatting in line, they use 9 as a place holder.

When they make the Renegades in Brazil, they will begin with 9A, 9B, 9C, 9D, or 9E. The Chinese version will have one that falls between LA and L0.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Looked at a Fiat Vin decoder.

First 3 characters = world manufacturer identifier

Character 4 = type of restraint system

Character 5,6,7 = vehicle line,series,body type

Character 8 = engine type

Character 9 = check digit

Character 10 = model year (E-2014,F-2015)

Character 11 = assembly plant

Character 12-17 = vehicle build sequence

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.