Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
As long as you do not modify the engine or transmission performance of the vehicle, the manufacturer should honor modifications under warranty. Obviously adding a larger turbo to the 1.4L or modifying the computer on any engine offered in the Renegade will probably cause you grief when you claim a repair under warranty. To be safe always get something in writing from the dealer that your modification will not interfere with warranty claims. If they are not willing to provide such, I would not do the modification regardless of what it is.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Chrysler CAN void your entire warranty ONLY if
:Chrysler CAN void your entire warranty ONLY if you disconnect, change or tamper with the odometer.
:Chrysler CANNOT void your entire warranty FOR ANY OTHER REASON.
:Chrysler CAN deny warranty repairs to non-Chrysler parts you install on your Jeep.
:Chrysler CAN deny provide warranty repairs caused by the installation of non-Chrysler parts.
:Chrysler CAN deny warranty repairs to components damaged by impact damage from collision.
:Chrysler CANNOT deny warranty repairs because your Jeep has been driven off-road.
:Chrysler CANNOT deny warranty repairs to failed OEM parts UNLESS they can specifically demonstrate either
entire warranty FOR ANY OTHER REASON.
:Chrysler CAN deny warranty repairs to non-Chrysler parts you install on your Jeep.
:Chrysler CAN deny provide warranty repairs caused by the installation of non-Chrysler parts.
:Chrysler CAN deny warranty repairs to components damaged by impact damage from collision.
:Chrysler CANNOT deny warranty repairs because your Jeep has been driven off-road.
:Chrysler CANNOT deny warranty repairs to failed OEM parts UNLESS they can specifically demonstrate either

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
wickyup is right, but not very specific.

SO you put on a non-oem CBV/BOV/whatever you want to call it. Will they deny warranty for anything? They might for a bum turbo, but they'd have to be jerks as the CBV is unlikely to cause that. There's no way that they could, for example, try and blame the BOV for a bum CV joint. They'd lose every single time. Now you replace the wastegate on the turbo, and then your turbo spins a bearing, you are in a different situation. That part, if wrong for the turbo, can cause it to overspin, which can trash your bearings. So what happens then?

A straight up honest shop would likely tell you that the wastegate could have caused it, you can either pay, or roll the dice, have them look at it to see if an oil feed line was blocked and if it was, they'll ignore the wastegate. That would be being honest to you, FCA, and their bottom line.

A shop trying to keep their bottom line and the customer happy might do something like check it out, say the wastegate is not right, we need to replace it to rule it out, bill you for it because it's not a warrantied part, put on an oem, test drive it, say it is still messed up, and then warranty it. They get paid, they keep you happy and a potential repeat customer, but if your part really screwed up your turbo, you are both ripping off FCA.

You have to pay to play. If you don't know what you are doing to your vehicle might break, you probably shouldn't be doing it to your vehicle.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's 3 bolts takes seconds to remove and wouldn't go back with it fitted. But then the same can be said for any of use replacing speakers. Or tinting window. Painting calipers. All depends on who you deal with at the garage to how much of a Mr jobsworth they want to be I guess.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, My Dealer just called and said they are going to replace the passenger side front end lower cv joint and boot under the warranty. I noticed a problem while installing the G Force lift and 17mm wheel spacers last week .I removed the spacers before I took it in just to play it safe, I don't know if they notice the lift or not...but it did worried me!

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
It's 3 bolts takes seconds to remove and wouldn't go back with it fitted. But then the same can be said for any of use replacing speakers. Or tinting window. Painting calipers. All depends on who you deal with at the garage to how much of a Mr jobsworth they want to be I guess.
Any place that tries to void anything but the speakers, and maybe the amp for swapping speakers is just looking to lose in court, and in most states lose and pay lawyer fees.

By and large, you will not run into places that will void your warranty for minor stuff.

Catback exhaust? Nothing it can really do. Non OEM air filter? The kind of stuff it can do is going to show up after the warranty is over. Tires that are a bit wider and stickier than stock? It's just going to eat up you MPG, wear your break pads and rotors faster, and possibly damage the tires if you picked a stupid size... none of that is warranty stuff, so.. no warranty voiding going on. Ditto for tinting glass. It's not going to make it break and broken glass isn't a warrantable item anyway.

A lift and a CV joint? That's in the gray area. Nothing on the market lifts the vehicle enough it should fail this rapidly, but it would be affected by altering suspension geometry. Year 3, mile 34,000 on the bumper to bumper? It might be a different story.

As I have said previously, some dealers will look for any reason to screw you. They aren't the majority. Other dealers will ignore most anything as long as they can get paid warranty wise somehow. Most are in the middle, and things that matter to them are things that alter power output significantly with regards to powertrain warranty. Things that alter boost on a turbo fall into that category. So do ECU alterations. Swapping out valve bodies. Swapping cams, etc. Many will tell you they won't even touch it if you have removed cats or other emissions equipment.

It varies. My personal take is you own what you did, don't expect someone else to pay for it if it broke something. Other folks are less honest.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have painted calipers and the GFB DV+. The dealership has had it twice now and didn't notice a thing. Although I would imagine that minor stuff will probably scoot under the radar since it's a brand new vehicle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.