Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed this while comparing info between the Jeep.com site and the Jeep.ca site:

-We Canadians get a 3 year / 60,000 km "Basic Limited Warranty".
-Our American friends south of the border get a 3 year / 36,000 mile "Basic Limited Warranty".

So far, so good.

-We Canadians get a 5 year / 100,000 km "Powertrain Limited Warranty".
-Our American friends south of the border get a 5 year / 100,000 mile "Powertrain Limited Warranty".

If you do the math on that you'll see that we get 60,000 kilometers less coverage. That doesn't seem quite fair to me. Normally I'm not terribly concerned with warranties... but throw in a know-to-be-buggy 9 speed transmission, low-range gearing, disconnecting rear axles, etc. and I start to question whether it's worth the risk. I keep my vehicles 4-5 years in general, and 100,000 kms is gone in less than 3.

Just something to ponder.

·
Super Moderator
3,641 Posts
I just noticed this while comparing info between the Jeep.com site and the Jeep.ca site:

-We Canadians get a 3 year / 60,000 km "Basic Limited Warranty".
-Our American friends south of the border get a 3 year / 36,000 mile "Basic Limited Warranty".

So far, so good.

-We Canadians get a 5 year / 100,000 km "Powertrain Limited Warranty".
-Our American friends south of the border get a 5 year / 100,000 mile "Powertrain Limited Warranty".

If you do the math on that you'll see that we get 60,000 kilometers less coverage. That doesn't seem quite fair to me. Normally I'm not terribly concerned with warranties... but throw in a know-to-be-buggy 9 speed transmission, low-range gearing, disconnecting rear axles, etc. and I start to question whether it's worth the risk. I keep my vehicles 4-5 years in general, and 100,000 kms is gone in less than 3.

Just something to ponder.
That'll teach you to use the metric system. As for the 9 speed, it's mostly a software issue, and from a number of comments on the renegade and new model year cherokee, they have it sorted out at this point. Either that or reviewers just got used to it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Although there is that different from the Canadian to American market, at least from what I seen here and what i've seen with other Canadian warranty terms, it is in line with what those are like, so it follows the industry standard.

Being a vehicle as new as this is and a first model year vehicle, I wouldn't keep it beyond the original warranty term out of fear.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Although there is that different from the Canadian to American market, at least from what I seen here and what i've seen with other Canadian warranty terms, it is in line with what those are like, so it follows the industry standard.
Not always. My current car (here in Canada) is 5 year / 100,000 km (powertrain) and is 5 year / 60,000 mile for the same in the USA. The normal bumper-to-bumper warranty coverage also matches kms/miles... 60,000/36,000.

Being a vehicle as new as this is and a first model year vehicle, I wouldn't keep it beyond the original warranty term out of fear.
If I go with that logic I should just stop hanging around this forum. LOL I'd have to take my lease for less than 3 years... :|

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.