Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
There is a place that makes washer fluid in North Carolina close to my work. They get several truckloads of methanol a day. I am positive that is the smell. I wouldn't be surprised if our has less methanol vs Europe due to our strict VOC regulations (the reason why paint doesn't stink any more and new car smell is much less intense).

·
Registered
196 Posts
There is a place that makes washer fluid in North Carolina close to my work. They get several truckloads of methanol a day. I am positive that is the smell. I wouldn't be surprised if our has less methanol vs Europe due to our strict VOC regulations (the reason why paint doesn't stink any more and new car smell is much less intense).
**** I shut the door as fast as possible to try to save that new car smell inside as long as possible lmaooooo

·
Registered
610 Posts
Anyone else notice a strong alcohol smell to the washer fluid your Rene came with? Almost overpowering. What is it?
It's the type of fluid used. Your cabin air intake is in the cowl just below the windshield. Overspray and excess run-off can get in that area. That is why you smell it. Back in the day when I had a new 96 Grand Cherokee I had the same issue whenever I sprayed the washer.

Run it empty and try another brand of fluid.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have heard all the crap they put in fluid nowadays is what makes the wiper go bad faster. True or False!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I love the OEM fluid and will be buying more. I offroad in dusty conditions so about every 5 minutes I give it just the tiniest tap on the spray and bam, clean windshield. Ran dry after two months and replaced with regular washer fluid. Works horribly. Just turns the dust to mud. It clears, but nothing like the OEM stuff and it takes much more fluid to do it.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I noticed the smell. That OEM washer fluid did work well. I wonder where you can buy more here in the States?

·
Registered
604 Posts
I notice this as well. The theory about higher-alcohol fluid being the Euro spec makes sense, since I did not notice the same smell in my wife's Mexico-built Fiat 500. Although it's possible the relative position of the vent intakes has an effect as well.

+1 on the fluid being very effective.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's an evil plot by the organization Spectre.

·
Registered
111 Posts
In Europe the refill fluid used is Petronas Tutela Professional SC 35 (that meets Fiat 9.55522 contractual technical reference nr. F201.D02 and CTR Iveco 18-1802 contractual technical reference nr I005.B00).
There are a ready to usect and another concentrated.

In safety data sheet some of the mixture components are declared (section 3).

Here the links to the safety datasheets
SC 35 concentrated http://testfl.onion.it/commonfile/eng/pdf/1002_ssic_ENG.pdf
SC 35 ready to use http://testfl.onion.it/commonfile/eng/pdf/1003_ssic_ENG.pdf

Petronas Lubricants International includes the former FL Selenia, that was the old Fiat Lubrificanti (Fiat group sold it in 2003).

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have heard all the crap they put in fluid nowadays is what makes the wiper go bad faster. True or False!
I've read that before too, specifically the stronger stuff that are better at dissolving bug splatters. Makes sense to me. Stronger detergents are likely to be more chemically caustic to the rubber blades. Regardless, the blades need to be replaced annually anyway. They will go bad just from UV damage and heat from the sun.

Change the blades every fall or just prior to rain season, then you'll have best wiper performance when you need it the most.

Silicone blades supposedly last longer, but I don't think they last long enough to justify the extra cost.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Periodic application of Rainx or similar product helps a lot.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.