Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Washington trails

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  PNW 
#1 ·
I'm new to the jeep community and I'm very interested in off roading. I have no experience but I'm willing to learn. Where is an easy trail that I can take my renegade. I have a stock sport 4x4. I know I won't be able to do anything crazy, so please save the rude remarks. I get bashed on enough already by my buddies who have "better" jeeps. I'm just looking for a good time with an easy trail. I'm located in oak harbor washington and I don't mind driving a few hours for a good trail.

#2 ·
Welcome. I'm down in Mill Creek, south of Everett. I don't have any quick replies for you, but if/when we find something, I'd be happy to go out with you.
I found something over near Winthrop WA this weekend, and have been on a couple others, but haven't ventured too far on them as I have not had another rig with me.
Going solo is a no-no, but I have done some solo. :)

Keep in touch. Maybe lunch in between sometime.

#3 ·
Welcome, there are a series of NF trails out near Snoqualmie Pass that range from manicured gravel to not passable without a Wrangler:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/T...69a77bca669f4a!8m2!3d47.4037058!4d-121.535353

I would be hesitant to try tackling too rough of terrain without buying some armor and tires, the skid plates have gotten a ton of use on my TH:

You wouldn't even need a 4x4 for some of the trails, others can be tough to impassable. Here's some pics of the area:

#4 ·
Welcome, there are a series of NF trails out near Snoqualmie Pass that range from manicured gravel to not passable without a Wrangler:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/T...69a77bca669f4a!8m2!3d47.4037058!4d-121.535353

I would be hesitant to try tackling too rough of terrain without buying some armor and tires, the skid plates have gotten a ton of use on my TH:

You wouldn't even need a 4x4 for some of the trails, others can be tough to impassable. Here's some pics of the area:

Beautiful part of the country.

#6 ·
I don't think you'll get rude comments from anyone here (I hope) regarding your Renegade trim. Being in Oak Harbor you're close(r) to Mountain Loop Highway and HWY 2. I haven't done the Mountain Loop yet, but it looks fun and HWY 2 has had some good drives for me—all would be doable in the Sport. Frankly everything I've done in my 9 months in the PNW would be doable for you. I recently took a trip with a couple friends out to the Olympics and noticed logging roads with signs stating a Discover Pass was required for use, and they turned out to be some rough logging roads. Nothing crazy, but fun and bumpy.

This is a great link if you're not already aware: Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie Road & Trail conditions. If you click into an area close to you it'll display all open roads/trails and their conditions. This is what I've used to discover trails that will at least have coverage by the Forest Service in case of an emergency.

Best of luck in the trail search and ignore the haters. I see plenty of Wranglers and "mall-crawlers" here in the Seattle area that will probably never see dirt in their lifetime, so just getting out there is the key!

#7 ·
If any of you WA folks want to head out together, I'm willing. I have been out Mountain Loop Highway, out by Winthrop, near North Bend, near Cle Elum, and other places. Sometimes it's just dirt roads, sometimes there is a challenge or two.
I have always been the solo rig, and sometimes just me in my rig; not the smartest.

One of the bigger challenges was out by North Bend. I knew there were trucks on the other side, so they'd have to get me un-stuck to get out. :)
(see attached). The pics don't show the height, etc. all that well. :)

In Lynwood there is a 4x4 club, Timber Tamers, I have been to a couple meetings, but haven't made the time to become a member to go on their club rides. Looking at their pics, the stuff they do is just a bit out of my range. :-D Seems like a good club though.
http://www.timbertamers.org/

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone was up for going out together.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.