Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my Renegade on Halloween. I drove 200 miles to pick it up as it was the nearest 4x4 with the 1.4 turbo. At 115 miles the issues surrounding the BCM update occurred. It took 3 trips to the local dealership to get them to apply that update. I've had issues with a dead spot at 2750 and 4000 RPMs. Last week I began to hear I clicking/bubble sound intermittently. I was able to isolate this issue to the wastegate solenoid. The Jeep dealer near my office informed me Monday that they couldn't fix my Jeep as its the first 1.4 they've seen. So I called Jeep Cares and they informed me to bring it to the dealer by my house yesterday. I informed the service writer that it felt like a boost leak or a power loss during acceleration. Today they called to inform me that they couldn't replicate my concerns. The service writer told me I shouldn't wait until 4000 RPMs to shift.

Can anyone advise on this issue?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I can't advise on the Renegade specifically, but I used to work at a diesel truck shop. Often the wastegate would pass the electronic test (whether it obeys the open/close commands, I can't remember if it tests for range of motion) but it would not always be working 100%. So my point is that while I can't say for sure, I would not be surprised if they tested it to be ok but it actually is not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've added a pic with the part in question circled. The service writer pulled a few codes but wouldn't divulge the information when I dropped the vehicle off yesterday. Today they claim everything is fine.

The clicking/bubbling sound makes me think it is repeatedly actuating when it should not be. This occurs while idling.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
I purchased my Renegade on Halloween. I drove 200 miles to pick it up as it was the nearest 4x4 with the 1.4 turbo. At 115 miles the issues surrounding the BCM update occurred. It took 3 trips to the local dealership to get them to apply that update. I've had issues with a dead spot at 2750 and 4000 RPMs. Last week I began to hear I clicking/bubble sound intermittently. I was able to isolate this issue to the wastegate solenoid. The Jeep dealer near my office informed me Monday that they couldn't fix my Jeep as its the first 1.4 they've seen. So I called Jeep Cares and they informed me to bring it to the dealer by my house yesterday. I informed the service writer that it felt like a boost leak or a power loss during acceleration. Today they called to inform me that they couldn't replicate my concerns. The service writer told me I shouldn't wait until 4000 RPMs to shift.

Can anyone advise on this issue?
Something is wrong with it. That's not typical.

Its the first 1.4L they've seen yet they're suddenly experts on it?

Don't shift at 4k? Whatever, shift whenever you want.

It definitely sounds wastegate related. They should tell you what codes they pulled.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The first dealership said it was the first 1.4 they've seen. They were the ones that took 3 attempts to fix the BCM update issue. The second dealership stated not to shift at 4000 RPMs. I'm about to head over now to drive my Renny with the tech to show them the concerns.

Side note: I've had people who know nothing about cars comment on the clicking noise from the actuator. It's that apparent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jeep Cares finally got back with me after nearly a month having the ticket open. They stated that there is a known issue with this and they are working on a software update, but can not provide a time frame for the repair.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jeep Cares finally got back with me after nearly a month having the ticket open. They stated that there is a known issue with this and they are working on a software update, but can not provide a time frame for the repair.
Thanks for the update. I have been having the same issue. I took mine out, pulled it apart and cleaned it but the noise remains. My acceleration is inconsistent and spiky with a noticeable dead spot between 2900-3100 RPMS. I tried resetting the ECU and recalibrating the throttle with no success.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've also done what you listed with no luck. I am researching what can be done with an aftermarket BOV and sensor. I have found a few parts used on the Dart and Abarth 500. If I can't get Jeep to do something I will ultimately see what I can do on my own. It's sad really, I purchased this vehicle because I didn't want to spend my free time fixing my 1992 Ranger.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
. . . The service writer pulled a few codes but wouldn't divulge the information when I dropped the vehicle off yesterday. . . .
The dealer should absolutely divulge the MIL code(s) that they pulled from the computer. Why would they withhold that information?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Is this endemic of that engine? I am ready to buy a Latitude, 1.4, 6 speed myself. But if there's a major issue that they are aware of, and still selling that engine, we will have MAJOR problems. I really like the Renegade and figured the stick & 1.4 would be the less troubled of the two. Now I am scratching my head.

·
Registered
604 Posts
On the subject of the "dead spot" when accelerating through 3k-ish RPM.

I've experienced this myself, mostly early on, and didn't think much of it, since I expect peaky power delivery from a turbocharged engine, especially when combined with MultiAir. Being a little more aggressive with the throttle alleviated this problem to a large degree for me, and yes I do run up to 4k rpm, at least for the 1-2 shift. It's just how I expect to drive a small-displacement turbo. Also the power delivery seems to have smoothed out, which led me to assume that the throttle and valve control computers probably have a learning function and needed to "settle down".

As for the clicking sound at idle, every MultiAir engine I've had experience with, turbo or not, has sounded quite diesel-like at idle. The MultiAir valvetrain is quite advanced, but it is not quiet. A Fiat-produced video I saw regarding MultiAir stated that, at idle, the system will actually open and close the intake valves twice in the same stroke, something about extra swirl and maximizing efficiency at idle. So apparently that valvetrain is doing some crazy stuff, and making a bit of noise in the process.

I'm not sure about the "bubbling" sound you mentioned, that could be something else.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After another 5 days in the shop, the boost pressure sensor was replaced again. I did not have time to see if the repair worked before Jeep Cares called to say they intend to buy my vehicle back. Now I need to figure out what avenue I will take with a new vehicle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.