Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted about this issue that can effect your entire vehicles performance. Water in the EMS charcoal filter. This will stop your tank from venting, and put any liqiud inside your canister. Brought it to real mechanic- he identified answer very quickly.. put was 5 cent straw in and canister is dry. This is a chronic issue and simple. I read all kinds of issues on this thread that could be a direct cause. Try it with just spraying a bit of water on gas cap door and watch water go right down hole. Guarantee this will fix a ton of issues and your vehicle will run much better!

Attachments

·
Registered
522 Posts
That is a drain hole, and isn't intended to be connected to the charcoal canister. It should have a drain line attached to it:
Automotive lighting Camera lens Surveillance camera Camera accessory Automotive exterior

The return line from the canisters hooks into the fuel neck, not that drain. You can see it on top of the neck below.
Bicycle part Automotive exterior Font Bicycle fork Auto part

I'm sure cleaning the canister helped solve your issues with fill-ups and starting, but I don't think that straw is doing you any good. Just helping you collect water that could eventually build up and leak down the filler neck and into your tank.

·
Registered
522 Posts
From the service manual: As you can see the only recirculation from the fuel neck is #11. First passing by the FTPS (#10), down the Recirculation Tube (#9), then past the FLVV/CV (#14) and up to the canister via the Canister Tube (#5). Nothing connects to the drain you have put the straw in.

Map Rectangle Font Parallel Slope

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You must work for keep. Yup that line vents fuel and canister- sorry I saw my car apart. I see more issues that can be caused by a bad vent o this post I am kinda shocked people never saw this. My mechanic BUILD race cars! He told me water going down that drain could really mess up a ton of stuff. Sorry- see all his trophies and cars that I think he is much more than a "jeeep tech". I belive him.
Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From the service manual: As you can see the only recirculation from the fuel neck is #11. First passing by the FTPS (#10), down the Recirculation Tube (#9), then past the FLVV/CV (#14) and up to the canister via the Canister Tube (#5). Nothing connects to the drain you have put the straw in.

View attachment 2396352817
This photo proves my point, there is a small check valve visible that leads directly to fuel vent canister

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the vent hole is just for water, where does the gas go when You spill a bit into the whole where does gas go - on the ground??? I think not

·
Super Moderator
1,968 Posts
If the vent hole is just for water, where does the gas go when You spill a bit into the whole where does gas go - on the ground??? I think not
It does end up on the forecourt. It's just a water drain. I recently got some blowback and DERV dripping out of the drain.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why in the world would they even put in a drain that causes gas to leak when the whole system is for less Emissions. That is not correct. All these Jeep's have a lot of the same quirky things don't vent your gas tank (that is one of two functions) and it can expand and explode- it's happened. Go to a real mechanic and they can explain it. Or have them drain canister and you can see a somewhat complex vent system

·
Super Moderator
1,968 Posts
If you leave the nozzle in the hole for 5 seconds after filling (as described in some manuals for fuelcap-less systems.) you won't spill any fuel down the water drain. (y)

·
Registered
522 Posts
It is not a water drain. This is 100 percent inaccurate
I don't know what else to tell you my guy. There is a drain hole in MANY vehicles in this exact same location. They all drain to the ground. It's not some weird quirky Renegade/Jeep thing. It's litteraly the most logical spot to place a drain for water. Do a simple Google search for "Fuel door drain" and you'll find posts from all kinds of forums from GMC, Audi/VW, Chryslers, and more talking about this drain getting plugged with debris and water collecting inside the door. It's 100 percent a drain.

Honda Civic:
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive design Vehicle

BMW Z-Series:
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

Nissan 350Z:
Automotive tire Wheel Steering part Automotive lighting Gauge

Chrysler Crossfire:
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Gas Trunk Auto part

The return that is shown in the diagram is NOT coming from the door area. It's inside the filler neck, attached where I've circled and flowing back down to sensor.
Automotive lighting Bicycle part Automotive exterior Cable Electrical wiring

There's nowhere for the drain line to even connect to the Evap system. You can believe what you wish, but you're dead wrong on this one.

·
Registered
522 Posts
You must work for keep. Yup that line vents fuel and canister- sorry I saw my car apart. I see more issues that can be caused by a bad vent o this post I am kinda shocked people never saw this. My mechanic BUILD race cars! He told me water going down that drain could really mess up a ton of stuff. Sorry- see all his trophies and cars that I think he is much more than a "jeeep tech". I belive him.
Thanks
I don't care if your mechanic builds rocket ships, everyone is capable of making a mistake. He's mistaken. It's a drain...

Here are search results to save you some time. If you can't see that it's evident that it's drain, you're just being too prideful to admit a mistake. I've provided more than enough evidence to support my claim.

·
Super Moderator
1,968 Posts
That Honda Civic shot with the pink string hanging out as a "fix" for a snapped fuel flap release cable. (y)

·
Super Moderator
3,536 Posts
It IS a water drain.

You don't want water in your evap cannister, because as you said it will cause problems.

You don't want gasoline in your evap cannister, because it will cause the exact same problems. That's why it is an evaporative vapor cannister, not a gasoline overflow cannister.

The difference is if you get raw gas in it, you stand a chance of it getting back to normal if you don't keep flooding it with gas. this was a common problem people caused for themselves when the renegade first came out because of the small tank. People would try to cram in every drop and flood the cannister with gas because the tube is inside of the the main fill tube, not outside of it.

The cannister DOES have an emergency check valve if pressure is too high. That hole is not it, and it it is a double baffle set up to prevent water intrusion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just talked to myechaniv and he asked if anyone answering this Jeep techs)??? Is answering on this thread. He wanted me to tell you all it does go to canister and said it should catch the overflow. He said if he gets inspected and even a small amount of gas is a huge fine.
He spoke to two Jeep master mechanics confirmed 2 things- these vehicles have issues venting and they don't even know why- they keep replacing things until something changes and 2 that vent from gas fill goes to canister. There is a check valve that should stop this but
It got stuck open. I had a new engine put the n my car with 20k miles on it. my guy said second engine could have blown with out fixing issue. Believe Jeep techs If you will but many macrro issues I read here could be related to this issue. Jeep never admits design flaws!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I don't need to be a Jeep tech to be able to understand the diagram, instructions, and drawings in the ACTUAL Chrysler service manual. There's not one single step, picture, or mention in the entire EVAP, Fuel System, or replacement of connected parts showing that drain tube being connected or removed. The amount of fuel dropped on the ground by people when refueling is an ounce or two at best. If the check valve in at the fuel pump fails and the fuel spews out of the neck, you're going to be getting a LOT more fuel way faster than that drain can handle. The idea that this tiny drain tube would catch any considerable amount of overflow to prevent it from getting on the ground is laughable. There's fuel being dripped all over the place at the gas station. You're telling me those people should be getting fined every time they fill up? What it WILL do.... is slowly drain water that builds up inside the door. You know, from rain or washing your car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't need to be a Jeep tech to be able to understand the diagram, instructions, and drawings in the ACTUAL Chrysler service manual. There's not one single step, picture, or mention in the entire EVAP, Fuel System, or replacement of connected parts showing that drain tube being connected or removed. The amount of fuel dropped on the ground by people when refueling is an ounce or two at best. If the check valve in at the fuel pump fails and the fuel spews out of the neck, you're going to be getting a LOT more fuel way faster than that drain can handle. The idea that this tiny drain tube would catch any considerable amount of overflow to prevent it from getting on the ground is laughable. There's fuel being dripped all over the place at the gas station. You're telling me those people should be getting fined every time they fill up? What it WILL do.... is slowly drain water that builds up inside the door. You know, from rain or washing your car.
What is laughable is it is obvious that you can not read a diagram and two I dealt with the EPA a lot and you are crazy if you think they would allow a drip of gas on Ground. Accidents happen, but if you believe they would let any design that purposely let's gas spill you on ground then you are crazy. Unless you live in Texas!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts