Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering peoples opinions about whether A new Renegade needs to be waxed/clayed right away or not. Is there a lot of gunk in the paint from shipping the vehicle, Etc? What do you think?

·
Registered
10 Posts
They say in order to tell if paint needs to clayed, run your hand across the paint, if its feels rough, gritty or bumpy it probably needs to be clayed. As far as "waxing", I would definitely try to get a coat of protection on there as soon as you can. I would go with a good polymer sealant though instead of a wax.

·
Registered
165 Posts
When I get mine I plan to wash it thoroughly and then use Meguiar's #16 paste wax to protect the paint and to give it a nice shine.

·
Registered
602 Posts
They say in order to tell if paint needs to clayed, run your hand across the paint, if its feels rough, gritty or bumpy it probably needs to be clayed. As far as "waxing", I would definitely try to get a coat of protection on there as soon as you can. I would go with a good polymer sealant though instead of a wax.
You should put your hand in a sandwich bag first. it gives a better audible indication.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
You might want to consider getting a paint protector applied, such as Opti Coat. If you do go that route, you'll want to make sure your paint is in perfect condition as Opti-Coat will seal in everything, permanently, it acts like a clear coat.

·
Registered
96 Posts
When purchasing a brand new car, applying wax after a thorough wash and dry is a must, IMO. Like said above it will protect the paint and give it a much longer life. I usually wax my current car every 6 months give or take.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My car unfortunately is parked outside 80% of the week. I live in Southern California so I have to deal with sun, dust, tree and bird debris. When I wash it it looks good for one day and then it just all goes downhill. Should I give up all hope and keeping the paint looking good?

·
Registered
602 Posts
My car unfortunately is parked outside 80% of the week. I live in Southern California so I have to deal with sun, dust, tree and bird debris. When I wash it it looks good for one day and then it just all goes downhill. Should I give up all hope and keeping the paint looking good?
MOST DEFINITELY! If fact you need to do it more than somebody who keeps their car garaged or covered. A nice wax coat will help the debris from selling into the paint and shield it from the So Cal sun.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The wax will also deteriorate faster in these type of conditions so make sure you choose a wax that works well with intense sun and salt spray etc. Otherwise you end up having to get your car waxed quite often.

·
Registered
128 Posts
From my first look at a Renegade, I can say the paint quality is unfortunately poor, and will definitely need a very good wax or professional clear coat. Trust me It will be a worthwhile investment.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
From my first look at a Renegade, I can say the paint quality is unfortunately poor. . .
The Trailhawk I got (silver) has nice paint. I only detected a couple minor flaws that most wouldn't even notice. When I pick it up Monday, I will wash & wax it but won't do more than that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.