Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - just got my new Trailhawk yesterday. It's a standard issue model without any options, but still cost **** near 30K. The dealer transfer and shipping fees, as well as taxes were killers. But, so far I am very happy with the rig. Do need to figure out how to get a trailer hitch on it though. Really glad to find a rig with low range 4WD that can get close to 30 MPG!

My previous ride has been a modified Suzuki Grand Vitara, which served me very well for almost 200K miles since 2002. And, yes, I do use low range.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Welcome to the forums! When you find out about getting a hitch rigged up, please let me know. This is one of the first on my to-do list. If we get enough of us in the Florida/GA area, maybe we could get a wheeling trip set up sometime!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

How are finding the Renegade so far? Good things? Complaints?

Would also be cool to see some pictures of your Renegade if you can get the chance to post some up.

Great to have you here.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, it's going to be more difficult than I initially estimated. Would love to see some schematics of how that factory installed system shown in a thread here locates the receiver in the middle of the plastic bumper facia. It's top on my list of mod's.

One thing I did today, that I am really happy about is I flipped the full size spare over to create a huge amount of storage space in the recess of the wheel. I noticed when first pulling the spare just how much tension was on it with the factory setup. So much, in fact that reinstalling it in the original configuration was almost impossible. Flipping it over and using a different length bolt worked great. Now I need to get one of those air valve extensions so that I can check and adjust the pressure without removing it from the well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Do need to figure out how to get a trailer hitch on it though.
When you find out about getting a hitch rigged up, please let me know. This is one of the first on my to-do list.
There is another discussion on a similar topic in a different thread
http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/forum/4-2015-jeep-renegade-general-discussion/11658-trailer-hitch-release-date.html

Renegade Ready told me they are accepting pre-orders of the factory trailer-hitch parts kit to secure parts in the distribution chain and that better photos and the install video are on the way.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
. . . One thing I did today, that I am really happy about is I flipped the full size spare over to create a huge amount of storage space in the recess of the wheel. . .
Yes, there is a lot of wasted space. I didn't flip my spare over, but store some seldom used stuff under it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yep, I tried that first, but could not get the original bolt to grab thread . . . . It was under that much tension. That is when I had the inspiration to flip it over. I do protect the inner wheel surface with rags, etc. so the alloy doesn't get dinged.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. Yes, I saw that thread. Love the schematics in it. One idea I had, don't know how realistic it is, but could a good body shop cut two vertical slits through the plastic bumper facia and sheet metal that correspond to the outside, rear end of the subframe rails that end there? That way two flat pieces of steel could be bolted to the frame there, there's already holes with bolts there, that protrude through the factory bumper enough to allow any standard receiver style crossmember to be attached.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.