Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do all highway driving and since the day I picked it up, it will not go into 8th or 9th gear on the highway. I live in the flatlands of North Texas and do all driving is 65 to 75 mph. It shifts fine into 7th gear and if you manually put it in 8th, it will hold when you put it back in drive. First bump in the road and it is back in 7th. I drive a ton of miles (5 weks old and 3300 mi.) and bought it for the gas mileage. It is now back in the service dept with a star case and waiting.

It is a 2021 Limited Luxury and sunroof. Am I the only one having this issue or does FIAT mean Fix it again Tony?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
My 2021 Trailhawk (1.3T engine, 9-sp auto) has almost 5,000 mi. No issues with the transmission.

How are you telling what gear you're in? Only way I can tell is to tap into manual...is that how you're seeing it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
My 2021 Trailhawk (1.3T engine, 9-sp auto) has almost 5,000 mi. No issues with the transmission.

How are you telling what gear you're in? Only way I can tell is to tap into manual...is that how you're seeing it?
Yes. 70mph in 7th gear is 2400 rpm. Manually force it to 8th and it drops to 2100. Force it to 9th and it is 1700rpm. Put it back in auto mode and it goes to 8th until you hit an incline and then it goes and stays in 7th and will not go back to 8th until you manually go thru it again. Gets pretty old when the shortest trip is 75 miles each way. MPG goes from 28 when I manually force it into 8th down to 23 when I leave it in auto mode. My understanding from the dealership is they are reprogramming the TCM and PCM and seeing if it fixes it. I bought my wife a 2021 80th anniversary and hers does same thing. I am not as concerned as her highest speed is 60 mph. Something interesting is they do not repair this transmission. It is an exchange only. I have a 2021 GC Summit V6 and goes to 8th gear without any issues, so it is not my driving. I get on a highway and set the adaptive cruise and let drive.

I should add that is is as smooth as silk to 7th gear with no issues, but it will not go to 8th or 9th without a fight.

I should also add that most people do not know what gear they are in. They just put it in drive and go.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I should also add that most people do not know what gear they are in. They just put it in drive and go.
Yup. And that's fine -- that's what auto is for.

That having been said, this is the first automatic transmission vehicle I've owned in almost 40 years...

It's only when I'm idly curious about which of the nine gears the Trailhawk is in, do I pop it into manual for just a few seconds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you changed tire sizes from stock (Increased diameter)? My 2017 Rene Latitude rarely goes into 9nth… has to be flat as a pancake if not downhill - and 72 + registered mph. Eighth is easy though. That said I suspect manifold vacuum keys the shifts as its commonly used to inficate how hard the engine is working. Point on the tires is the engine is still pulling hard enough to not shift up if larger tires have increased the overall drive ratio. You could check your overall ratios to your speedo with a cell phone speed app.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
yes. you can also tell by the tach. Mine won't go into 8th or 9th going downhill with a Texas tornado behind it. We tested it with the service manager with a 25 to 30 tail wind and nothing!! It will manually go into 8th and then put it back to auto and it will stay in 8th. If it downshifts to 7th, it never goes back to 8th.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just push shift handle to the left once you get to a speed and it will tell you what gear you are in. Or you can count , but that takes more than my 6th grade education.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Well, here is the sad state of affairs:

Jeep assigned Ralph as my case worker. He started out as nice and concerned. Submitted it to Jeep for buyback. Thought issue was over and they were taking car back. But NO, that was lie number 1. Dealer drove a new 2022 Renegade and it shifted perfectly thru 9 gears. Reported back to Star case. Ralph calls me to tell me that it only shifting thru 7 gears was normal and buyback was denied. Ralph said they were not going to perform repairs as this is normal. He then said that if I did not like it, I could request a field engineer to look at it. I said why is it on me to do this as it is your problem. He answered that YOU ARE THE CONSUMER. A heated discussion pursued, and I finally gave up. I called the dealer and he said there is a problem and Jeep won't fess up to it. He did call in a field engineer and am waiting on a date. Dealer has been wonderful to deal with, but Jeep has become impossible. See no evil and so on. Will keep you informed.

The dealer service manager likes what I call it. PAY FOR 9 GEARS AND GET 7. Pretty much says it all. Thinking of posting a You Tube video, so the world can see. 3800 mi. of hell.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts