Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to my build sheet my vehicle should have equipment such as heated mirrors, oil cooler etc.

The service department wasn't willing to go through everything with out setting an appointment up and they charge 110 an hour but they did take a look at a couple things and confirmed that the equipment was not on the vehicle. Going to have them double check for things like the oil cooler since they didn't look to closely.

Any ways any one considering a renegade or a Jeep at this point I would recommend steering away, have no faith in the dealerships or the brand at this point. Truly a disappointing experience.
@JeepCares

Lets hope the company buys the jeep back or just pays the thing off. Not sure what to do now or what agency would handle these sorts of issues.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,597 Posts
Well, if it was a custom order, and the vin is right but the vehicle doesn't match the build sheet, that's not really the dealer. That's jeep, so I'd contact their 1 800 number for customer care and ask wtf.

Beyond that if you are correct, it was misrepresented in the sale. State AG should be contacted for that in general, also depending on the state lemon law lawyers probably also handle such things. Even if you are in a state where they don't collect legal fees from the manufacturer, decent ones should be willing to do a brief phone consult on your options without charge.

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
845 Posts
I thought they all had heated mirrors (in the U.S.). I didn't even think it was an option to get it without them.
Interesting. What, specifically, did they confirm to not be on your Jeep that is on your build sheet?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, if it was a custom order, and the vin is right but the vehicle doesn't match the build sheet, that's not really the dealer. That's jeep, so I'd contact their 1 800 number for customer care and ask wtf.

Beyond that if you are correct, it was misrepresented in the sale. State AG should be contacted for that in general, also depending on the state lemon law lawyers probably also handle such things. Even if you are in a state where they don't collect legal fees from the manufacturer, decent ones should be willing to do a brief phone consult on your options without charge.
Thank you I will have to give them a shout, I have been in touch with jeepcares on here, they told me to go the dealers service department and have them look over the build sheet and some of the items I had doubts on. Unfortunately the service person I have worked with in the past getting the tow hitch and such on was not in. And the manager on duty was a bit busy.

Did you have reason to suspect something was missing or did you simply want confirmation that the vehicle matched the build sheet?
I had reason to suspect unfortunately, the dealer had totally lied to me about the Jeep to make the sale, they said the only difference between the trailhawk I was looking at although said I was probably going to get the juke because it's roof was shorter was that the tires were lower so the vehicles roof was lower and it didn't have the red towhooks but they could be added and it didn't have skidplates but could add them later if I wanted. They also had me void part of my warranty and didnt state it would, they said remote start was not available as an add on after the fact but they would take my viper system out of my trade in and give me the name of an install person or I could have geeksquad do it. No warning that it would void part of the warranty and I had let them know I was not willing to buy a car with out remote start that's when they offered to pull the old one at no cost.

Then I noticed my mirrors were frosty/icy and didn't appear to be heating

I thought they all had heated mirrors (in the U.S.). I didn't even think it was an option to get it without them.
Interesting. What, specifically, did they confirm to not be on your Jeep that is on your build sheet?
Service department said no heated mirrors and they didn't see the that the oil cooling unit was on the vehicle. Said they could go through everything at 110 an hour. And that they would put the heated mirrors on but needed an authorization code from Jeep Cares or Chrysler. Said to ask for the cold weather package worst they could say is no.

Needless to say, pretty livid with the dealer right now and really have no faith in the Jeep brand, I know what I want to happen but wont post it :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Sounds to me like the dealer made a lot of promises that they couldn't necessarily back up. IF there is a question as to whether the Jeep conforms to the build sheet there is no way the dealer should charge you anything to check it out. I'd talk to Jeep and get them to put some pressure on them. They have some responsibility to check the Jeep before delivery and not only determine that it is built as specified but that everything is functioning.

As far as promising tow hooks, skid plates, remote start and all the rest-------as others have found out, such additions can bring your cost up to the point where it might have been better to just go with a Trailhawk.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sounds to me like the dealer made a lot of promises that they couldn't necessarily back up. IF there is a question as to whether the Jeep conforms to the build sheet there is no way the dealer should charge you anything to check it out. I'd talk to Jeep and get them to put some pressure on them. They have some responsibility to check the Jeep before delivery and not only determine that it is built as specified but that everything is functioning.

As far as promising tow hooks, skid plates, remote start and all the rest-------as others have found out, such additions can bring your cost up to the point where it might have been better to just go with a Trailhawk.
The only reason I didn't go with the trailhawk was because of the extra height on the roof, guess it is a lift Kit. Told the dealer I liked the way it drove and looked but I was going to go with the Juke since its roof is lower and would make getting my paddle boards on easier. That's when they showed me the latitude and lied out their arse to make the sale.

It is also where I screwed up and believed what they told me and didn't check that those were not the only differences between the models. Sadly now it looks like I should have made them show me the oilcooling unit and everything else on the build sheet.

Even if I had thought to look for it I would never have found it, no idea what one looks like or where it even sits in the engine department. Or what 99.9% of everything under the hood is. Or how to check for things like the "Trailer Sway Damping"

The service department has been pretty awesome the sales team not so much. Service department ordered my the towhook that was supposed to be with the vehicle nd covered the cost with out blinking an eye.

Or what these are, trying to custom build a renne to see although no luck so far,

Customer Preferred Package 2DJ
Customer Preferred Package 27J

·
Registered
302 Posts
The Trailhawk is 1.6 inches taller than the Latitude which doesn't seem like too much but I can see where it could make a difference to some.

The oil coolers I'm familiar with look like tiny radiators but I haven't gotten my Trailhawk yet so I can't tell you what to look for. I read this on a FCA site which might give some insight: "Sandwiched between the block and the steel oil pan is a lightweight, aluminum ladder-frame with integral oil filter and oil-cooler adapter. This lends additional structural rigidity."

We'll all be curious as to what you finally find out.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you sure you don't have the heated mirrors? They aren't marked and come on when you put on your rear window defroster.
No, not at all sure.

What I do know is that they have been icy and that the service department looked at the vehicle for a bit and said I do not. Although I my self, no I am not sure.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Trailhawk is 1.6 inches taller than the Latitude which doesn't seem like too much but I can see where it could make a difference to some.

The oil coolers I'm familiar with look like tiny radiators but I haven't gotten my Trailhawk yet so I can't tell you what to look for. I read this on a FCA site which might give some insight: "Sandwiched between the block and the steel oil pan is a lightweight, aluminum ladder-frame with integral oil filter and oil-cooler adapter. This lends additional structural rigidity."

We'll all be curious as to what you finally find out.
Yes it was not that much taller, although when you add in the height of the rails and then the height of the mounts for the system that goes on it the height becomes more of an issue. I am a pretty short person at 5'5 and my partner in crime comes in at the 5 ft mark. Then parking on rough terrain can have it at odd angles and our sups like to act as awkward sails being from 9 ft to 14 ft depending on the sup and their are times my arms, shoulders don't want to be moved after a long day out. I will have to pop the hood and see if I can spot the oil cooler now that you gave me an idea what to look for.

You got me curious so I looked at my build sheet too. I'm supposed to have heated exterior mirrors. I'll have to check when it's cold to see if they are heated or not.
I hope they are on your Jeep, heck hope they are on mine and it turns out I am jut a bloody idiot...well ok I am but hopefully in this case to.

The sales team just has me doubting the vehicle after they gave so much misinformation, so was glad and disappointed when the dealer service team told me that it was not on the vehicle.

When I am lost in the moment and touring the area with my partner in crime I honestly really like the vehicle, other than some minor quirks. It drives nice, the ride is comfortable imo. Looks great, only concern is every now and then when starting from a stop light and making a turn it feels like it looses all power for a moment then kicks back in.

I haven shared all my frustration and fears of the vehicle with her, and I know that when she takes it she loves it. Sadly this is happening more and more often :)

Any ways will let you all know what I find, and what @JeepCares does to help. Here is hoping I am just a major idiot, on this as well.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Pat,
First of all - you are no idiot. You just plopped down a lot of cash and want to be sure you're getting what you paid for. IF the build sheet lists things that are not on your Jeep then you have a real issue with FCA and a lot of people are going to sit up and take notice. You can bet I'll be giving mine a good once over.

As to the height issue - I'm 6'1" but in the past I had occasion to put a carrier atop a small van. I went to Camping World and purchased a neat plastic folding step stool that gives me the extra inches I need and yet folds to a package about an inch thick. I actually plan to carry it in my Trailhawk to help my elderly black lab climb in the back. She already uses it to get into my 1952 M38A1 and that is a much higher step. One of the things I liked about the Renegade was the decent headroom. In a lot of vehicles I sit up so high that I have to crouch down to see traffic lights and the like.

As to your "heated" mirrors - did the techs take them apart or at least expose the wiring harness? If not, it would be difficult to tell heated from non-heated. When activated they don't get that warm - at least the ones on my S-10 don't. If you look in the engine compartment fuse box (see page 455 of the owners manual ((available digitally online or can be ordered from FCA))) fuse F88 (7.5 amp-brown) is for the power mirrors. If the mirrors aren't heated there shouldn't be a fuse there either. If there is a fuse, maybe it's blown.

For the oil cooler - I'm getting the impression that they are pretty much standard with the Tigershark engine but can't be 100% - You might have to crawl under the vehicle somewhat to find out as it looks like the oil filter is accessible from the underside of the oil pan and the oil cooler connection is supposed to be nearby. Maybe someone who actually has one to look at will chime in and enlighten us.

I'd definitely follow up on your concerns but in the meantime enjoy your vehicle. The dealer's oversell notwithstanding, Jeep has the responsibility to provide you with the vehicle the build sheet says you bought. If anything is amiss, they have to make it right - just hold their feet to the fire!

I wish you luck

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Pat,
First of all - you are no idiot. You just plopped down a lot of cash and want to be sure you're getting what you paid for. IF the build sheet lists things that are not on your Jeep then you have a real issue with FCA and a lot of people are going to sit up and take notice. You can bet I'll be giving mine a good once over.

As to the height issue - I'm 6'1" but in the past I had occasion to put a carrier atop a small van. I went to Camping World and purchased a neat plastic folding step stool that gives me the extra inches I need and yet folds to a package about an inch thick. I actually plan to carry it in my Trailhawk to help my elderly black lab climb in the back. She already uses it to get into my 1952 M38A1 and that is a much higher step. One of the things I liked about the Renegade was the decent headroom. In a lot of vehicles I sit up so high that I have to crouch down to see traffic lights and the like.

As to your "heated" mirrors - did the techs take them apart or at least expose the wiring harness? If not, it would be difficult to tell heated from non-heated. When activated they don't get that warm - at least the ones on my S-10 don't. If you look in the engine compartment fuse box (see page 455 of the owners manual ((available digitally online or can be ordered from FCA))) fuse F88 (7.5 amp-brown) is for the power mirrors. If the mirrors aren't heated there shouldn't be a fuse there either. If there is a fuse, maybe it's blown.

For the oil cooler - I'm getting the impression that they are pretty much standard with the Tigershark engine but can't be 100% - You might have to crawl under the vehicle somewhat to find out as it looks like the oil filter is accessible from the underside of the oil pan and the oil cooler connection is supposed to be nearby. Maybe someone who actually has one to look at will chime in and enlighten us.

I'd definitely follow up on your concerns but in the meantime enjoy your vehicle. The dealer's oversell notwithstanding, Jeep has the responsibility to provide you with the vehicle the build sheet says you bought. If anything is amiss, they have to make it right - just hold their feet to the fire!

I wish you luck
I wondered about the oil cooler too.
It seems like a strange option. If it needs one why would it be an option.

Transmission cooler is a different thing, if you wish to tow with an automatic.

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
845 Posts
This is no offence to, and not directed at the OP...
Define "Oil Cooler". It could just be a couple of fins cast into a piece of aluminum somewhere near the oil filter or other oil conduit. It probably isn't going to be another "radiator" like device.

·
Registered
302 Posts
rsanges,
No offense taken....
You may be right on the cooler but the description of the engine I read states: "Between the block and the steel oil pan is a lightweight, aluminum ladder frame with an integral oil filter and oil cooler adapter for extra rigidity." I assume the "adapter" refers to a connection to an additional piece of equipment, modest though it may be.
GSO_Kyle - As to the fuse, looking further, nowhere can I find a fuse listed specifically for power mirrors (other than the folding kind) so I'm confused about that one. Perhaps I missed something..... regardless, I agree if you can or cannot see or feel the mirror heat up then I'd say you've got your proof.

·
Registered
580 Posts
rsanges,
No offense taken....
You may be right on the cooler but the description of the engine I read states: "Between the block and the steel oil pan is a lightweight, aluminum ladder frame with an integral oil filter and oil cooler adapter for extra rigidity." I assume the "adapter" refers to a connection to an additional piece of equipment, modest though it may be.
Sounds to me like a small heat exchanger sandwiched between oil pan and oil filter, which is common on many Euro cars, but not really like a proper oil cooler. You may want to scratch the difference I see between the two up to merely semantics if you choose so.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.