Jeep Renegade Forum banner

181 - 200 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
New cool info today, so Dan claims the dealer has the technical info/reasons why it isn't warranty, which they do not have. He also says he had a conversation at length with the service writer as well as the technician and the tech said he never talked to me.....so clearly I imagined the 20 minute conversation with him.

Pursuing Dan's boss, if I can get him to call me that is. @JeepCares, you need to contact me ASAP.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
575 Posts
Wow, wow!!!!!!!!the buck stops here, i think it's clear they all try to pass the problem from one to the other- the right hand knows not what the left does--bull-sh----t. Are things just going round and round???????????????i think they all are aware of exactly what's going on, they just don't want to touch it, i really hope this works out so you can just move on, you imagined nothing, but i bet they wish you did. Until the next time!!!!!!jelly

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm not trying to argue if in general an auto or manual is "better" when off-roading as that would be up to the operator themselves. I was responding to your statement that the OP's Manual transmission equipped Renegade was insufficient for offroad, and you equated the Final Drive or Axle ratio as one of your parameters.

I demonstrated that the crawl ratio and engine torque curve would actually make the manual + 1.4t should theoretically be more than capable for the basic off roading that the OP did. I was using the math to show how close the Manual/1.4t was to the Trailhawk, and if the Trailhawk is off-road reasy, then the this set-up is more than capable. As we saw, the clutch disc seemed to have flaws and likely was poorly manufactured.

Additionally, I felt that you did not entirely understand Axle Ratio or Final Drive (Same thing), so I typed a whole store.

I'm not here to insult or get into a forum battle, but you again demonstrated that you do not understand exactly what you are stating. I'll just comment on a few items.

1) The 17-20:1 Crawl Ratio is NOT the Final Drive Ratio or Axle Ratio... It is the Crawl Ratio (Lowest Transmission Gear ratio x Final Drive(axle Ratio))
2) I feel that you googled Torque converter and just copied some info about torque converters from Wikipedia and posted it without knowing what it meant.
3) The torque converter does not multiply torque across the power band and in fact it's multiplication (of around 2:1 or so) is rapidly reduced to 1:1 once you begin to accelerate and reach the stall speed. The multiplier is minimal in these cases as the engine does not produce a lot of torque at low RPMs. But also remember, until the stall or lock up speed is reached, not 100% of torque from the engine is reaching the wheels. Additionally, the addd rotating mass from the automatic transmission also reduces the actual torque output to the wheels again.
4) With respect to damage to components... Since the engine produces the power, you need to spin the engine at increasing RPMs to produce more power. Therefore you will be operating a higher than normal RPM throughout, as you will not be shifting. That means, no mater what transmission you have, you will be generating heat, and since you are not moving, no airflow is crossing over heated parts to aid in cooling, and you create wear. If the clutch disc sucks it'll wear improperly. You generate excess heat in an auto every time you hit the accelerator. Less heat is generated in the Manual as the trans is not slipping into gear, the clutch bears the wear and generates the heat. Neither of these are arguments as to which is better
5) Top speed in the manual is about 25-28mph at redline, so you would keep the rpm in the 2500-4k range which will produce maximum torque, not be able stall, and not be moving very fast. So, needing speed would be because of other issues, like limited traction, etc.

I could really go very deep in this topic but this is already wayyyyy off topic.

I was just really trying to inform you based upon your post comparing your own vehicles' final drive ratio and expressing that as a measure of off road crawl-ability. I was just demonstration that the final drive is only 1 of a few sets of gear reductions utilized from the engine to the ground maximizing torque applied to each corner.

If you wish to speak further, please feel free to PM me. I'm always open to talk about cars and all things related.

That being said, my Renegade will most likely never see off-road conditions, so it does not matter. That being said, my other truck definitely will not.

Thanks.
"I'm not here to insult or get into a forum battle, but you again demonstrated that you do not understand exactly what you are stating. I'll just comment on a few items."
I think I will just pretty much disagree with you and stick with everything I wrote.
Thanks.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
i say take it back as is

and blow it up LOL -- well more then it already is
You lol

It has been fixed since the week of Thanksgiving man, they just can't justify a way out of paying for it.

I have already submitted a repurchase request, we will see how they handle that one.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
You lol

It has been fixed since the week of Thanksgiving man, they just can't justify a way out of paying for it.

I have already submitted a repurchase request, we will see how they handle that one.

lol i would still drive it threw the window

·
Registered
476 Posts
Caught by somebody who can do something about it?

Reactions: Shadowshaggy

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Caught by somebody who can do something about it?
Like recorded phone call, because in AR it is single party consent, as an Arkansas resident I am not obligated to tell the other person the call is being recorded. Had a 2 hour conversation with FCA yesterday and she even suggested I do it lol. So yep, they have been and FCA is going over Dan's head and seeking the corporate department to reinstate my warranty and to have this covered.

The attorney in question specialty is consumer protection and this will either be resolved by FCA or it will go to this attorney and will reach 7 figures deep into FCA's pocket. Not that I will see much of anything out of it, but it is the principle of the matter. A company employee is caught lying on a recorded call and the other parties involved confirm that he did not provide the information he claimed to have provided.

So, should have a response from FCA between tomorrow and Tuesday.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
Well, hopefully tomorrow will be that phone call. Wednesday I was told their average turn around time on a call back was 24-48 hours, considering we went into page 3 of her typing up some documentation and her having to call and get several recorded statements, i assume it may take a few extra days. At this point, 2 or 3 extra days to get a proper resolution is perfectly acceptable.

Also, tomorrow starts a $35/day storage fee from the dealership. I agree 100% with it and don't blame them one bit, it has been completed for 60+ days as of now. FCA/Jeep is aware of this too.

Guess we shall see how this transpires over the next couple of days.

·
Registered
106 Posts
...they just need to do a paid in full buy back from you and let you move on with your life (after giving you a hefty discount on that 124 Arabath you want (if you're still considering one after all this mess))!?!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
Love my 500 Abarth and my previous 500 Abarth and my 500T before that too....so that's a thing.

I will have a 124 Abarth if they buy it back, 100% guarantee it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Love my 500 Abarth and my previous 500 Abarth and my 500T before that too....so that's a thing.

I will have a 124 Abarth if they buy it back, 100% guarantee it.

What is an Abarth? Is it The Fiat? I thought those were trouble? They get horrible reviews... but I love the look of them...

·
Registered
106 Posts
What is an Abarth? Is it The Fiat? I thought those were trouble? They get horrible reviews... but I love the look of them...
...a few of my JMSDF (Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force) Active duty friends had them while I was stationed in Japan; they are a very fun vehicle to drive = that's where the 1.4T/6M engine/transmission comes from but of course the Renegade is >500 lbs heavier (in the USA versions and closer to >600 lbs in the Japanese versions so they aren't quite as fun)!

181 - 200 of 228 Posts