Jeep Renegade Forum banner

21 - 40 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well, things got interesting this morning. Service manager told Jeep Cares he wasn't going to submit it to warranty for approval, so I am now waiting for that explaination.

It's up to FCA to approve or deny it, so I have requestes that it be submitted for warranty and lets see what FCA has to say about it. I simply do not accept that the back of the clutch disk blew out like that. If I was playing in the mud and had been spinning the tires/clutch a bunch and it wore down, wouldn't be having this conversation.

As it stands, the clutch spun for maybe 10-15 seconds and then basically blew up. So...yeah, that. When it would spin, I let off and let it sit for a few minutes, then tried again. Never heard any noise to make me believe that the disk had blown apart, zero noise.

Anyhow, will update later today when I hear back from the service manager.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
476 Posts
How many miles did you have on your Jeep? If Jeep decides it is your fault the clutch failed, it makes me worry abt how long ours will last.

·
Registered
476 Posts
CarID is now selling a replacement front lower bumper cover for the Trailhawk, but there are no pictures yet. Claims to be OE quality for $246. Might be a good option for those who want to do a conversion. Of course you would still have to go to the dealer for the tow hook brackets and stuff.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
How many miles did you have on your Jeep? If Jeep decides it is your fault the clutch failed, it makes me worry abt how long ours will last.
Should know Monday or Tuesday if Jeep is going to pay for it or not, but the warranty restriction is not legal and I could have an attorney all up on this if I so feel inclined. That restriction being placed without any teardown is a blatent violation of the Magnuson Moss act.

I am not going to do that, I am confident that Jeep will lift the restriction and at least be submitted to the FCA warranty department for them to decide. If they deny it, thats fine the extended warranty can be billed. But by the restriction being in place, the extended warranty company would automatically deny it. So once that is gone, we will see what happens next week.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, enjoy the long weekend.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well...had a chat with Borla a bit ago and it may be headed on a trip to them for a new exhaust, cat back. They don't offer one yet, but....Magnaflow does and we cant very not have one if the competition does 😆

Yeah, if @Sgt_Strife would hurry up with his new under body skid plates, wouldnt be an issue 😉

Working on it! Would stock TH plates have prevented this? Look like you may have hit places that aren't typically covered...

Can you clearly identify where you took damage?

Attachments

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
@Sgt_Strife, the exhaust pipe itself got all jacked up, wasn't made aware of any other underbody damage.

Although a larger 1 piece (rather than the 2 piece) gas tank cover looking thing would have prevented most of the exhaust damage.

Gonna see about working with Borla to build a system for it 😆

·
Registered
106 Posts
not totally related however none of my manual vehicles have ever done anything like this (1993 VW GTI with a Calaway turbo bolt on kit (USA model), 1987 Toyota Corolla GTS (USA model), 1998 Toyota Glanza turbo (Japan model), 1993 Honda Civic SiR (Japan model), 2006 Toyota Hilux turbo diesel 4x4 (Eu model))...none of which were stock either for very much of their life and they all had well over 100K with only 0 or 1 clutch replacements during their life spans...

...so I'm interested to see how FCA handles this for you before I finalize the sale of my Renegade in the next week or so!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
not totally related however none of my manual vehicles have ever done anything like this (1993 VW GTI with a Calaway turbo bolt on kit (USA model), 1987 Toyota Corolla GTS (USA model), 1998 Toyota Glanza turbo (Japan model), 1993 Honda Civic SiR (Japan model), 2006 Toyota Hilux turbo diesel 4x4 (Eu model))...none of which were stock either for very much of their life and they all had well over 100K with only 0 or 1 clutch replacements during their life spans...

...so I'm interested to see how FCA handles this for you before I finalize the sale of my Renegade in the next week or so!
I have never done this to a clutch, the Abarth just finished a year of track duty with slicks on a stock clutch...and no issues lol. This is just sad.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
I did receive a photo from a friend with a Renegade over the weekend that will be of interest to everyone, as well as Jeep.....

So this isn't the first Renegade clutch disc to do this, may only be one other that I have access to at the moment, their's was worse. I will post that pic for everyone to see.

Just so we are all crystal clear as to why I am posting this, I do not have the circumstances behind why this second one happened, but it happened nonetheless. Not trying to say that all or many of the clutches will or might do this, just showing you what I have found and been informed of happening.

If this was a big issue, we would have dozens of these stories and not 2.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

Based on the virtually zero information I got, mentioned this happening and has these 2 pics, and his fb profile has one pic of the Renegade and a few of the wife and kid, I did ask him what happened and haven't heard back yet.

But based on the 1 photo of his Renegade, he was nearly door deep in mud, using the not-tow hook and didn't yank his bumper/crash bar off, and it appears he grenaded his clutch trying to drive through knee deep gumbo....which this was certainly not designed to look at, no less drive through. Not sure if this one is irresponsibility or malicious, but his clutch blowing up was pretty well asked to happen.

Still upset about mine, took almost no effor and if you look at the disc itself it looks like the rivets were failing and started to elongate. I have several pics of where I was from several different people, and I damn sure wasn't in knee deep mud lol. It didn't even make it to the wheels it was so shallow.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
still no word on the issue ? and make them hurry up lol i want to see it modded/ changed already
Funny enough @elf883, it has been done since Wednesday, Everett "politely" asked the tech to come in on his day off and not leave it apart over an extended weekend. New clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, throwout bearing, all of it.

Will know in the next two days why Area Manager 1 decided to put a hold on the warranty, Area Manager 2 and everyone at dealer 2 (Everett) still cannot figure out what dealer 1 (National Park Jeep) was thinking. Have had 2 other dealers remark on this, neither is affiliated with this repair, as to the fact that it is against the law for dealer 1 to have placed a hold on my warranty without a complete teardown, to the failure point, to find out what happened. Then subsequently why it happened.

Law clearly states that unless you (dealer/mfg) can prove that I have done something outside of the scope of factory parameters, i.e. modifications or doing sweet jumps in a KIA Rio lol, then they have to cover it.

I was trail riding, not going to try to hide that one. I have pics and video from the trail and we had a tremendous amount of fun. The wife had an amazing time and is ready to go back lol. For this to have failed in the manner it did, I am simply disappointed.

I now know, for next trip to the ORV Park, where the limitations of the clutch are and so do the rest of you guys n gals. Still under the presumption that Jeep will good will this repair, if for no other reason than dealer 1 avoiding a lawsuit (they were clearly in violation). But rather because I took a 4x4 Jeep off road, God forbid lol, and it failed in a location doing exactly what it is supposed to do.

There are commercials showing NON-TH models running around in wet sand and Jeep calls it the "Vehicle of Summer"....eh hem advertising guys, if I am not supposed to take my 4x4 Jeep off road and on trails, you probably ought not to be doing it in the commercials....just saying.

Lastly, for the persons of Jeep that have suggested (not @JeepCares, but someone who told JeepCares to give ne this answer) I am not going to purchase a TrailHawk, you didn't bother offering it in manual transaxle.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have the 75th too (UK spec) and 3 times the clutch has really stunk of burning so this is not a surprise to me, but it is worrying as I thought Jeeps were made for off road and I barely tried off road in any serious way, aside from a <1 mile byroad.

In the first 2,000 miles there's been 3 massive clutch burning smells that badly lingered even when I parked up - but luckily, no failure:

1) When I did an aggressive emergency brake and gear shift under normal road conditions to prevent a crash.
2) When I tried to go off road up a relatively steep incline, but barely a metre off the ground.
3) Under normal use while going up a standard incline in a multi story car park, but I had to wait on the actual slope for cars to move at the top.

To be honest, even my old VW Polo wouldn't have struggled and stunk with those types of applications, so for an off road vehicle, I'd dread to think what would happen if I got stuck in deep mud. I can well imagine a clutch failure so Jeep do need to investigate the issue and if necessary do a recall to fit a proper clutch that is fit for purpose of an off road 4WD vehicle, that is advertised and marketed as such.

All this aside, I still love my 75th as the best vehicle I've ever owned overall, highly recommend to other buyers - fun to drive and looks good. I'd like to keep the vehicle very long term, hopefully I never have to sell it in my lifetime.

·
Registered
476 Posts
@Shadowshaggy.... One good thing to come of your misadventures... You have definitively answered the question of whether the screw-in "tow hook" can be used to recover the vehicle. :D:D

21 - 40 of 227 Posts