Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read on and then aswer the question.

A person with breathing difficulties may use an inhaler to open up the airway and catch their breath. However that is a classic case of managing a symptom and not the root cause which is likely acute lung damage or similar.

So, yesterday whilst taking a short journey in the baking hot sunshine of West central Scotland I immediately opened the 4 windows to allow an escape of extremely warm air within the cabin. 2 minutes later I turned on the Air Con which was working the day before and nothing happened.

I couldn't get the fan to work, no cold air, no Air Con, just nothing but the hot air still blowing through my open windows from outside. Thinking it must be a safety feature that kicks in when all 4 windows are lowered they were subsequently closed but still to no avail. No Air Con.

Temperature is showing 32 degrees on the dash and to the left of that were 2 small horizontal dashes (--) and below that my mileage was flashing. Having never noticed the dashes nor the flashing mileage I began to suspect that mischief was afoot. Those wee Scottish Gremlins had attacked my warm and toasy Jeep to keep themselves occupied.

I am now in the car park and sat for a few minutes recalling info from the forum. Heat sensor in right side mirror baking all day in the sun. Check the fuse F38 (please don't correct me) in the front left side of the engine compartment but I couldn't get it open anyway. Sitting in the shade and now the temp is dropping to 30 degrees. Ok so I tried starting the car, press air con and its still as dead as a dodo.

The wife thinks she's an auto electrician and decides we needed to call my Son and get a lift home but what good is that to anyone as my Jeep still starts and drives. OMG Woman that can't drive and struggle to change a lightbulb need to keep quiet and let the guy work logically through the options.

I move on to my next option and it worked first time.

What did I do and why did it work?

I know why it works but go back to the first line of words I typed. A fault was rectified but is it merely a sticky plaster over something more sinister with the electrics ie I managed the symptom but did I correct the fault or perhaps the symptom was the fault and I corrected it.

Let's have your thoughts but please allow the beginners to the forum with not a lot of posts the option to search the forum and see what they would have did and then to reply.

Afterall I have been reading the forum for years and what I did in the end was what I was ready to do in the first instance. Thankfully I had time as the cat was in the vet and the wife was reading the newspaper.

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Changed the cabin air filter ?
Oh that was a while back but no, not this time. I can understand that concept as I was able to change that filter in under 10 minutes once I knew where the hidden screws were located.

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now that is a brilliant answer and you are correct.

The point being that I have read the forum, searched and found an answer. Search the forum works a treat and without you guys offering the answers I wouldn't have learned how to fix the issue.

Naturally I removed the negative post and waited 10 minutes in the shade. Reconnected the negative post and it worked.

·
Registered
2016 Longitude 4x4
14 Posts
Ah, Barebuttminer was too quick for me!
As a relative beginner I've still seen "disconnect/reconnect battery" enough times as the answer to similar questions- usually asked by users who didn't search first!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Just a heads up, I had a similar issue as well. Mileage started flashing, but I didn't have a need for AC at the time (early Spring). Had my car scanned and found that my oxygen sensors were bad. Pulling the negative post would reset the flashing temporarily, but it inevitably came back. I would suggest having a scan done to see if you're have any codes showing. Mine did NOT have a check engine light, but it did come on about a week later. I tried swapping the sensors myself (not real fun with the lack of room to get at them) and it still threw a code. Ended up getting it covered under warranty because of a TSB that related to the issue (my dealership was pretty good about that stuff).

·
Registered
2017 renegade trailhawk 9 spd auto glacier metallic, preferred package 27E
532 Posts
Now that is a brilliant answer and you are correct.

The point being that I have read the forum, searched and found an answer. Search the forum works a treat and without you guys offering the answers I wouldn't have learned how to fix the issue.

Naturally I removed the negative post and waited 10 minutes in the shade. Reconnected the negative post and it worked.
testing the waters puddlesplasher--- this is a smart forum--- they learn here

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a heads up, I had a similar issue as well. Pulling the negative post would reset the flashing temporarily, but it inevitably came back. I would suggest having a scan done to see if you're have any codes showing.
That aswers quite clearly the other part of the topic.

Removing the error code doesnt mean the actual fault is removed.

Fortunately my mate works in a garage and I can the Jeep scanned anytime. Looks like that will be getting done tomorrow just in case there is a hidden fault that needs repaired. Beter safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Renegade Limited AWD 2.4L (Former Vehicle)
741 Posts
Read on and then aswer the question.

A person with breathing difficulties may use an inhaler to open up the airway and catch their breath. However that is a classic case of managing a symptom and not the root cause which is likely acute lung damage or similar.

So, yesterday whilst taking a short journey in the baking hot sunshine of West central Scotland I immediately opened the 4 windows to allow an escape of extremely warm air within the cabin. 2 minutes later I turned on the Air Con which was working the day before and nothing happened.

I couldn't get the fan to work, no cold air, no Air Con, just nothing but the hot air still blowing through my open windows from outside. Thinking it must be a safety feature that kicks in when all 4 windows are lowered they were subsequently closed but still to no avail. No Air Con.

Temperature is showing 32 degrees on the dash and to the left of that were 2 small horizontal dashes (--) and below that my mileage was flashing. Having never noticed the dashes nor the flashing mileage I began to suspect that mischief was afoot. Those wee Scottish Gremlins had attacked my warm and toasy Jeep to keep themselves occupied.

I am now in the car park and sat for a few minutes recalling info from the forum. Heat sensor in right side mirror baking all day in the sun. Check the fuse F38 (please don't correct me) in the front left side of the engine compartment but I couldn't get it open anyway. Sitting in the shade and now the temp is dropping to 30 degrees. Ok so I tried starting the car, press air con and its still as dead as a dodo.

The wife thinks she's an auto electrician and decides we needed to call my Son and get a lift home but what good is that to anyone as my Jeep still starts and drives. OMG Woman that can't drive and struggle to change a lightbulb need to keep quiet and let the guy work logically through the options.

I move on to my next option and it worked first time.

What did I do and why did it work?

I know why it works but go back to the first line of words I typed. A fault was rectified but is it merely a sticky plaster over something more sinister with the electrics ie I managed the symptom but did I correct the fault or perhaps the symptom was the fault and I corrected it.

Let's have your thoughts but please allow the beginners to the forum with not a lot of posts the option to search the forum and see what they would have did and then to reply.

Afterall I have been reading the forum for years and what I did in the end was what I was ready to do in the first instance. Thankfully I had time as the cat was in the vet and the wife was reading the newspaper.
I was going to suggest that you had a 🍻 then shouted some choice words at it. 🤣

1 - 10 of 10 Posts