Jeep Renegade Forum banner

201 - 220 of 752 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Blacked out above the doors using plastidip.
****, that looks good. Have been wanting to do that with my Ren' since I brought it home a year ago. Have experimented with other, smaller parts with the 'dip since (wheels, side-mirrors, roof rails). Think it's finally time to give things a try myself!

Thanks for the motivator! :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hello all, Hasn't been just today, but since I picked up my black Latitude Rene 6 months ago I have been changing things around slowly.

First was a simple one, The Mopar Slush mats. With the weather we have here during the winter and trying to get out and hit the lakes and play during the summer, mats are a necessity and these were a good price from Amazon. My opinion, these mats do what they are suppose to, but are not durable. Less than 5,000 miles and 5 months in, the raised grid area is already smooth on the driver's side mat. My message to JeepCares says that they should be covered under warranty, but I have had WeatherTech mats that have gone through 3 different F150's and my boss still has them in his and they look brand new. That will be the route that I go when it is finally time to replace the front mats.

Second was a stubby antenna from Craven Speed - http://www.cravenspeed.com/the-stubby-antenna-for-jeep/ They first sent out the wrong one, but with great customer service rushed me out the correct one. My place was built in 1948 and I need to duck walking into my garage, so this was necessary to get in and out of my garage without the antenna catching all the time. No difference in signal reception for me and it looks a lot better to me.

Third was a set of BFG KO's in 225/65-R17. Put these on the stock rims and they fit perfect. The winter traction of the stock Conti's was non-existent in the in the shallow snow. These tires have done great for me and I have always had great performance from BFG tires in the past.

Fourth was the Daystar lift kit. Installed this myself over a day and I really like the new stance. I did need to take it in and have the alignment done - $90ish at Les Schwab. This is probably the most that this little Jeep can be lifted without a lot more modifications.

Fifth was a set of the Weather Tech front and rear splash guards. These were simple to install, with a stubby screwdriver did not require removing the tires, and the clamp system they use on the front set is secure and much easier than drilling holes and using pop rivets.

Sixth was last weekend. I de-badged the rear hatch and the Renegade off of the front doors. Yes, I know that this is looked upon differently by different people, but my Jeep and I like the look. I did leave the Jeep on the curve of the hood since I have the chrome trim rings on the front grill and it fit, but that is the only spot left.

Seventh was yesterday when I bit the bullet and installed my Renegade Ready hitch and wiring harness that has been sitting in my garage for almost a month. I was not looking forward to this job. I knew that I could do it, but was not wanting to cut into the bumper fascia. I had checked with my local body shop and asked about having it. They were guessing about $350 and they were booked out at least a month right now. Pulling everything apart was fairly straightforward, the template the they send for cutting the opening and tab slots was great, and the whole job was not that bad, just had to take my time on the cut. Overall I am pleased with the outcome. I only have two spots that annoy me where the tabs go in on the top passenger side, but that was a learning experience for me - hint, don't use a flat screwdriver to try and push the plastic down the tab.

I still have three things that I would like to do to my Rene - tint the windows and the top section of the windshield, find some new rims that will complete the black look of my Jeep, and find a front bull bar that mounts the way the Daystar one does, but that you can actually get... According to Daystar, it should have been available a few weeks ago...

I am too lazy right now drinking my morning coffee and it is currently raining outside, but I will try to post some pictures later.

Hope everyone is having fun making their Jeep their own.

Erik

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just a couple of quick pictures of the Jeep overall. The other thing that I am thinking of to continue the look are the dark smoke front side markers from http://klearz.com/products/Jeep/renegade_side_markers

It fit in the garage better with the stubby antenna and it still fit after putting on the BFG's, but I haven't tried since adding the extra 1.5" overall height from the Daystar lift.

Erik

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
That comment was suspiciously close to "buy a real jeep".

No, I don't need the trailhawk, the Lattitude does exactly what I need.

I didn't know decals and paint was purely a trailhawk thing.
Chill out man, I was just joking around. A bit different than questioning the authenticity of your jeep... You just happened to mimic a Trailhawk specific trait. Don't take the comment too seriously.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Chill out man, I was just joking around. A bit different than questioning the authenticity of your jeep... You just happened to mimic a Trailhawk specific trait. Don't take the comment too seriously.
Still better than misbadging...but in retrospect, I plastidip's the panel above the doors as well; along side the hood decal.

Attachments

201 - 220 of 752 Posts