Jeep Renegade Forum banner

961 - 980 of 987 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
No. Actually my first set of coated anything (except these OEMs?). Nice to hear about those pads. Tired of friends telling me to go “solid copper”.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I gave my front brake callipers a quick tidy up today - did the rears a month or so ago when I changed the pads and discs.

Didn’t bother taking them apart I just masked as best as I could with tape.

I noticed when I changed a front suspension spring a few months ago that the dust cover/bellow was torn - I didn’t replace it as I wanted the spring replaced asap and it didn’t seem to be letting any dirt etc in to the shocker. It seemed to close up ok when the wheels back on the ground.

I’ve had a look at the other 3 and they are all torn. I’ve no intention of replacing any of them unless I change all 4 to eibach lift springs.

Anybody else noticed tears in there’s? 2015 1.6 diesel Sport.

·
Premium Member
2,707 Posts
What contaminants get in when the Gator is opened and torn is the issue. Not when it is painted and closed up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don’t think much crap if any gets in. When I was replacing the spring on the other side there was no sign of any crap on the shocker although I suppose there’s a risk of grit getting in the seal.

I had a similar issue with my VW crafter work van, the mechanics just cut it off and I drove with it like that for several yrs with no issues.

Like I said I might change all 4 springs at some point to eibach lift springs, so will change the gators at the same time.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade, Latitude, 2.4L 4x4, black, 9 speed automatic, MySky
434 Posts
Them calipers look nice.

I also have a 2015, but all my boots look perfectly fine. Unsure how yours could end up that way. What climate do you live in? Maybe somethings causing an accelerated deterioration on them

·
Registered
37 Posts
It was in Wales for 3 yrs and only 5000mls prior to me owning it. Quite a lot of surface rust on the suspension components etc so I suspect with the low mileage (motobility) it was probably sitting with wet - possibly salty wheel arches quite often.

I live in Scotland with probably a similarly wet and salty winter road environment so possibly road salt could be the culprit along with poor quality rubber as they do feel rather thin and quite dry/brittle.

All four tyres were cracking around the tread when I got it. The front ones were slightly worse as they were cracking around the sidewall too. At 5000mls with hardly any ware it’s likely something to do with the jeep sitting idle in wet and freezing conditions.

My wife has a Kia Rio same age with double the mileage and all her gaiters are fine.

·
Premium Member
2,707 Posts
I don’t think much crap if any gets in. When I was replacing the spring on the other side there was no sign of any crap on the shocker although I suppose there’s a risk of grit getting in the seal.

I had a similar issue with my VW crafter work van, the mechanics just cut it off and I drove with it like that for several yrs with no issues.

Like I said I might change all 4 springs at some point to eibach lift springs, so will change the gators at the same time.
I was thinking more along the cost of having to get them replaced as it's an MOT failure for you and I. Then with our salty and dirty roads and the grit that gets inside or for that matter any grease being lost tthrough the tear can also create a costly bill.

But as long as you are happy then that's what counts. Afterall we can get a Gator repair kit and seal it in a few minutes. Personally I prefer the cheaper option myself until it fails the MOT. (y)

·
Premium Member
2,707 Posts
Oh indeed it is part of the UK MOT, torn gators are a fail.

Stop! I may be wrong and I admit that.

Am I possibly getting confused with the CV Joint gator? One site states that its a fail and the other says not. This is my fault for jumping in with 2 feet instead of testing the water. Yet another states that providing the suspension is not leaking then a torn gator is ok but beware of pitting on the chrome suspension tube.

Is this a ploy by all garages to panic the public into a state of fear and alarm that we instantly offer to pay the costs immediately for a full repair?

Simar, you have raised my awareness of this dastardly deed that some garages use and I sincerely thank you for that. :love:(y)

·
Super Moderator
4,159 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Renegade Trailhawk
11 Posts
Still getting familiar with my TH, and starting small with modifications. I popped out all the rear headrests, so I see nothing but the back window in the rear-view.

Blacked out the unnecessary logo on the side mirrors. I don't need to waste precious milliseconds scanning a logo every time I check for oncoming traffic. Electrical tape is good for so many fixes like this.

…also sanded down the leading edge of the accelerator pedal. It came with a rough edge that kept snagging my socks.

·
Premium Member
2,707 Posts
Still getting familiar with my TH, and starting small with modifications.

…also sanded down the leading edge of the accelerator pedal. It came with a rough edge that kept snagging my socks.
That rough edge catches the stockings of all drama queens. They get my black ones everytime
🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
309 Posts
Still getting familiar with my TH, and starting small with modifications. I popped out all the rear headrests, so I see nothing but the back window in the rear-view.
View attachment 2396351287
Blacked out the unnecessary logo on the side mirrors. I don't need to waste precious milliseconds scanning a logo every time I check for oncoming traffic. Electrical tape is good for so many fixes like this.
View attachment 2396351288
Nice shot in the mirror! Are those wild horses or is my vision that bad? Where are you? The landscape seems similar to areas here in CA but I have not seen wild horses yet. Lol you drive in your socks!?🤣

961 - 980 of 987 Posts