Jeep Renegade Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've not really understood the snorkels on renegades. they can only ford 19 inches of water stock. I'm guessing this is more of an electrical issue than anything as we've seen on this forum that some renegades don't like going through car washes. So really isn't the snorkel just for looks more than function?

·
Super Moderator
3,353 Posts
I've not really understood the snorkels on renegades. they can only ford 19 inches of water stock. I'm guessing this is more of an electrical issue than anything as we've seen on this forum that some renegades don't like going through car washes. So really isn't the snorkel just for looks more than function?
The dudes who sell them say they are for water fording and protection from dust, so...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I guess there would be a couple reasons to put a snorkel on a Renegade; the primary one would be for those that like to go diving through a river crossing, or for the ones that like racing into mud puddles. I’m not one of those… actually, I would like to cross a shallow river or a large stream, but nothing too serious. lol

The air inlet tube for the engine is above the right fender liner. At approximately 19 inches. So, going through water or mud that could be splashed up into the fenders could allow water or mud to get in the air box, and ultimately the engine. It doesn’t take much water for hydrostatic lock to take place causing catastrophic engine failure.

I personally wouldn’t take my Renegade through a river that would be higher than my hood, but I could. Other consideration for splashing through water are vent lines, the fan, if the radiator fan was engaged when one entered the water could destroy the fan (folks that do deep water forwarding have fan disconnect for their electrical fans so that the blades aren’t spinning when they enter the water), drains for the interior because water would get in the cabin, and I am sure that the list goes on.

Me, like it for the cold air induction. The snorkel has a larger inlet pipe and is less restrictive than the OEM pipe that is on the air box, that alone is a horsepower advantage. The sound of the engine growling through the snorkel when you step on the gas.

… and snorkel isn't too unsightly. weg

I haven’t had any issues running through a car wash. I do it a few times a month (touch free car wash now with the snorkel). As much as people don’t want to admit it, the engine compartment gets wet every time you drive in the rain or snow. Water comes through the grill, from the road and drowns the engine compartment. The engine and all of it’s electricals are designed to get wet and still function. As long as you don’t take a pressure washer and blast the engine, sensors, modules or the computer, it is designed to get wet.

I will admit, a snorkel isn't for everybody.

·
Super Moderator
2,860 Posts
I put one on the PoohHawk just in case.

And as you can see I have a River Raider one on my Rubi and it save my ass many times!
Plus our MPG went up with it and the new Exhaust System.
I can't wait to get a good programmer for it. Just waiting on Hypertech to get the bugs out.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I guess there would be a couple reasons to put a snorkel on a Renegade; the primary one would be for those that like to go diving through a river crossing, or for the ones that like racing into mud puddles. I’m not one of those… actually, I would like to cross a shallow river or a large stream, but nothing too serious. lol

The air inlet tube for the engine is above the right fender liner. At approximately 19 inches. So, going through water or mud that could be splashed up into the fenders could allow water or mud to get in the air box, and ultimately the engine. It doesn’t take much water for hydrostatic lock to take place causing catastrophic engine failure.

I personally wouldn’t take my Renegade through a river that would be higher than my hood, but I could. Other consideration for splashing through water are vent lines, the fan, if the radiator fan was engaged when one entered the water could destroy the fan (folks that do deep water forwarding have fan disconnect for their electrical fans so that the blades aren’t spinning when they enter the water), drains for the interior because water would get in the cabin, and I am sure that the list goes on.

Me, like it for the cold air induction. The snorkel has a larger inlet pipe and is less restrictive than the OEM pipe that is on the air box, that alone is a horsepower advantage. The sound of the engine growling through the snorkel when you step on the gas.

… and snorkel isn't too unsightly. weg

I haven’t had any issues running through a car wash. I do it a few times a month (touch free car wash now with the snorkel). As much as people don’t want to admit it, the engine compartment gets wet every time you drive in the rain or snow. Water comes through the grill, from the road and drowns the engine compartment. The engine and all of it’s electricals are designed to get wet and still function. As long as you don’t take a pressure washer and blast the engine, sensors, modules or the computer, it is designed to get wet.

I will admit, a snorkel isn't for everybody.

The max fording for the Renegade is 19 inches. Is the stock air intake below that? I dont think the fording restraint of 19 inches is due to the air intake but rather the electronics. Taking the Renegade through anything over 19 inches would be an issue for shorting something as we've seen with some Renegades going through touch-less car washes. . Thus I don't understand what a snorkel does beyond looks.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I had a snorkel kit on my 1954 Willys Army surplus M38A1 when I was in high school. It was a REAL snorkel kit in every sense of the word, not this wannabe stuff sold nowadays. The engine was waterproof, NOT water resistant. The snorkel came out of the hood and up along the passenger side of the windshield. The exhaust extension pipe came out the back and elbowed up, as high as the snorkel. You pulled a lever on the dash and it sealed off the crankcase. You could go as deep as the pipes were high and for as long as you wanted.

My "thing" to do when I was a kid was to go to a beach party, submerge my Willys so only the pipes, top of the steering wheel, top of the spare tire and me and my friends heads were above water. A cooler of beer was in an inner tube tied off to the bow rail, floating behind. Meander back and forth, showing off and drinking beer. Then turn and pull onto dry land, water gushing everywhere. Everyone wanted rides, but for some reason I only allowed girls....;)

The Willys itself survived many a water dousing, I think the 20 or so coats of USGI applied OD paint helped. One day while driving I hit a hefty bump and the ENTIRE exhaust system from the manifold on back fell off. A wee tad rusty she was.... That little 4-banger with zero exhaust was quite the loud on the way home....

Ah, "The Good Ol' Days"....

Oh, the price for the entire brand-new-in-the-box USGI surplus snorkel system ? Twenty bucks. Sure, this was 1978, but still....20 bucks.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The max fording for the Renegade is 19 inches. Is the stock air intake below that? I dont think the fording restraint of 19 inches is due to the air intake but rather the electronics. Taking the Renegade through anything over 19 inches would be an issue for shorting something as we've seen with some Renegades going through touch-less car washes. . Thus I don't understand what a snorkel does beyond looks.
The stock air intake for a Trailhawk is at 30 inches (above the finder liner), so I don't think that is why there is a 19 inch limit. I believe that the 19 inches limit is there to keep standing water from stopping the radiator fan, as this would prove to be catastrophic for the fan blades if one were to enter, lets say, a river with the fan blades spinning. Just mho.

When I get ready to test the fording capabilities of my Renegade, I am going to unplug the radiator fan resistor before entering the water, just to keep the fan from coming on as I enter the water. With that said, I will do my best to keep the engine compartment Power Control Module (fuse box) out of the water.

Who knows, maybe at 20 inches, the Renegade begins to float.

As for the electronics; if that were an issue, we would have alternator failures every time it rains.

Even if we don't run through deep water. The air intake now sets up higher where the air is cleaner and cooler than at bumper level. The air intake is less restricted because of the larger diameter intake tube, and that is proven horse power gains (for all vehicles). lol, with that said, I am not going to put a snorkel on my Mustang, but I did remove the air horn to get more air into the intake.

·
Registered
398 Posts
IDoMyOwnRacing- question- Is the snorkel setup on your Jeep loud ? On my old Willy's, even when I took the mushroom cap from off my air cleaner and put on top of my snorkel (as per design, prevents rain from entering), there was a definite "whoosh" type sound of air being sucked in. In the village I grew up in, the max speed limit was 30 mph (good thing for that old Willy's), there was noticeable noise, not deafening, but noticeable, probably due to the low speeds. At highway speed does your Rene sound like a hurricane approaching ?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
IDoMyOwnRacing- question- Is the snorkel setup on your Jeep loud ? On my old Willy's, even when I took the mushroom cap from off my air cleaner and put on top of my snorkel (as per design, prevents rain from entering), there was a definite "whoosh" type sound of air being sucked in. In the village I grew up in, the max speed limit was 30 mph (good thing for that old Willy's), there was noticeable noise, not deafening, but noticeable, probably due to the low speeds. At highway speed does your Rene sound like a hurricane approaching ?

There is a little growl, but barely noticeable. I get a little more whoosh now that the turbo isinstalled, but again, not very noticeable.

At cruise, at little wind noise at best.

·
Super Moderator
3,353 Posts
The stock air intake for a Trailhawk is at 30 inches (above the finder liner), so I don't think that is why there is a 19 inch limit. I believe that the 19 inches limit is there to keep standing water from stopping the radiator fan, as this would prove to be catastrophic for the fan blades if one were to enter, lets say, a river with the fan blades spinning. Just mho.

When I get ready to test the fording capabilities of my Renegade, I am going to unplug the radiator fan resistor before entering the water, just to keep the fan from coming on as I enter the water. With that said, I will do my best to keep the engine compartment Power Control Module (fuse box) out of the water.

As for the electronics; if that were an issue, we would have alternator failures every time it rains.

Even if we don't run through deep water. The air intake now sets up higher where the air is cleaner and cooler than at bumper level. The air intake is less restricted because of the larger diameter intake tube, and that is proven horse power gains (for all vehicles). lol, with that said, I am not going to put a snorkel on my Mustang, but I did remove the air horn to get more air into the intake.
I will bet you there is a breather valve for the transmission or something at 19 inches.

·
Registered
158 Posts

I watched a youtube video of a guy taking a renegade down a white water park that looked to be 19 inches and just above. He made the comment while driving that he was more or less rafting rather than driving. So you may be onto something about the floating above 19.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I watched a youtube video of a guy taking a renegade down a white water park that looked to be 19 inches and just above. He made the comment while driving that he was more or less rafting rather than driving. So you may be onto something about the floating above 19.
lol, that's is too funny, I was making jokes about floating at 20 inches. Maybe I will side on the way of caution and just keep it under 19 inches.

Do you have a link to that video?

Thanks for that.

·
Registered
158 Posts
lol, that's is too funny, I was making jokes about floating at 20 inches. Maybe I will side on the way of caution and just keep it under 19 inches.

Do you have a link to that video?

Thanks for that.
Correction he said it feels like you are "sailing a bit"

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I made an observation today. The last few miles heading home is all up hill.
I didn't realize how hot turbochargers got.
The two pictures were taken at night. Picture 1 with a flash and picture 2 without flash.
The hot side of the turbo is right at 900 degrees Fahrenheit (°F)(My research is showing me that turbines in most current production turbochargers are suitable for continuous operation at an exhaust gas inlet temperature of 1750°F (950°C)).
For the most part, anything under 1600 °F (900 °C) is normal.
but it sure looks hot... lol

Just thought I'd share.

Attachments

·
Registered
398 Posts
I made an observation today. The last few miles heading home is all up hill.
I didn't realize how hot turbochargers got.
The two pictures were taken at night. Picture 1 with a flash and picture 2 without flash.
The hot side of the turbo is right at 900 degrees Fahrenheit (°F)(My research is showing me that turbines in most current production turbochargers are suitable for continuous operation at an exhaust gas inlet temperature of 1750°F (950°C)).
For the most part, anything under 1600 °F (900 °C) is normal.
but it sure looks hot... lol

Just thought I'd share.
:eek:
Anything plastic in the vicinity of that turbo ?

Are you concerned about water crossings now that you see that turbo gets cherry red ? I'd imagine an immediate dunking in cool water would not be friendly to it...

I wouldn't park it on dry leaves on a windy day or in tall dead grass; Jeep go BOOM. :laugh:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
:eek:
Anything plastic in the vicinity of that turbo ?

Are you concerned about water crossings now that you see that turbo gets cherry red ? I'd imagine an immediate dunking in cool water would not be friendly to it...

I wouldn't park it on dry leaves on a windy day or in tall dead grass; Jeep go BOOM. :laugh:
The cooling fan sits pretty close, So I made a heat shield for the fan, header wrap for the exhaust and a turbo blanket to keep things from melting.

The turbo is 26 inches off the ground, so I am thinking as long as I keep from getting too deep I should be okay.

… Jeep go BOOM; I have good insurance. lol

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Laughing to myself, I just realized that the computer that I am using to tune my Renegade was made for the Renegade.
Does anybody else see the resemblance?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
It is hard to admit, but I think that I am about finished. Minus the roof rack, I have just about completed my build.
I have a few more little modifications, like: re-positioning some switches, where to plug in the winch controller, general upkeep and scheduled maintenance, I think I'm done.
... I have a happy Jeep.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts