Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone wonder why Jeep chose to name it's new Jeep a Renegade? The definition of "Renegade" isn't very flattering:
"a person who deserts and betrays an organization, country, or set of principles. Synonyms: traitor, defector, deserter, turncoat, rebel, mutineer."

Who did we betray? Does the name imply that the car has betrayed the Jeep tradition? >:D

Reactions: syzygy

·
Registered
261 Posts
Reactions: Sammydni and Bunk

·
Registered
580 Posts
Oldav8tor, you focused on the negative connotations that go along with "Renegade." That's why I presume you jest. :)

"Renegade" has the allure and romanticism of an individualistically minded spirit. It says, dare to be different, stand out, be yourself, lead, don't follow. These are concepts dear to the Jeep brand's image.

Does "Drive the new 2015 Jeep Pawn" sound attractive to you? What about Jeep Follower, Jeep Stooge or Jeep Vassal?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Oldav8tor, you focused on the negative connotations that go along with "Renegade." That's why I presume you jest. :)

"Renegade" has the allure and romanticism of an individualistically minded spirit. It says, dare to be different, stand out, be yourself, lead, don't follow. These are concepts dear to the Jeep brand's image.

Does "Drive the new 2015 Jeep Pawn" sound attractive to you? What about Jeep Follower, Jeep Stooge or Jeep Vassal?
Indeed I am sure he does jest.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I read that "Renegade" was not the original name for the BU, (if memory serves me, I think it was 'Rebel'). However, the planned name for the Jeep ran into legal issues. The naming of a car model is unbelievably complex, dealing with copyright stuff and stupid rules. Jeep already owned the Renegade name as an edition (like Trailhawk), and they were desperate to avoid anything that sounded "American" like Liberty or Patriot. Jeep is hoping the Renegade will do well in EU, South America and China. Also, Syzygy's post is +1, dead on correct. It's about the 'rebellious' perception of the Jeep Brand for marketing.

Renegade works for the BU model anyway. It's a trader Jeep being built in Italy, in a Fiat Plant. After all, we all hear the "that's not a real Jeep" all the time, well just answer "Nope, I'm a Renegade". If you say this at a gas pump, make sure you let them know how little it cost you to fill up too :).

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Indeed, I posed the question in jest, but it is fun to stir the pot from time to time. At least they didn't name it the Jeep Wannabe or Jeep Paisan :)

I've seen poorly chosen names in the past, an aircraft company from Slovenia produces two light aircraft named the Sinus and the Virus. Maybe they liked the sound of the names but who would name a vehicle after cavities in the skull and organisms that often infect same?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Anyone wonder why Jeep chose to name it's new Jeep a Renegade? The definition of "Renegade" isn't very flattering:
"a person who deserts and betrays an organization, country, or set of principles. Synonyms: traitor, defector, deserter, turncoat, rebel, mutineer."

Who did we betray? Does the name imply that the car has betrayed the Jeep tradition? >:D

For me its the dealer and Jeep brand that betrayed us.

·
Registered
247 Posts
For me its the dealer and Jeep brand that betrayed us.
Pat I've read your negative posts about how you were cheated by the dealer and Jeep. I cant quite understand your rambling posts. I dont understand if you custom ordered a Renegade and it wasnt built to the specs you ordered or if you bought one off the lot and you didnt get what you thought you were getting. Many of us here special ordered a Jeep and researched it prior to ordering and knew exactly what we were getting when the order was placed, with the exception of the slush mats. There was a little confusion at the model change from 2015 to 2016. If you were "cheated" it should be easy for you to prove. I think it is totally unfair to blame your dealer or Jeep until proven otherview for something that you may not have totally researched. Regardless, get the facts, then come back to us.
Thanks

·
Registered
204 Posts
Pat I've read your negative posts about how you were cheated by the dealer and Jeep. I cant quite understand your rambling posts. I dont understand if you custom ordered a Renegade and it wasnt built to the specs you ordered or if you bought one off the lot and you didnt get what you thought you were getting. Many of us here special ordered a Jeep and researched it prior to ordering and knew exactly what we were getting when the order was placed, with the exception of the slush mats. There was a little confusion at the model change from 2015 to 2016. If you were "cheated" it should be easy for you to prove. I think it is totally unfair to blame your dealer or Jeep until proven otherview for something that you may not have totally researched. Regardless, get the facts, then come back to us.
Thanks
I have the facts, thank you for your concern and white knighting of jeep and the dealer.

Was told that everything on the build sheet was on the vehicle, had @JeepCares re send me the build sheet and confirm that those items are supposed to be on the Jeep. Went to the dealer for confirmation and the service department confirmed the items are actually not on the Jeep.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have the facts, thank you for your concern and white knighting of jeep and the dealer.

Was told that everything on the build sheet was on the vehicle, had @JeepCares re send me the build sheet and confirm that those items are supposed to be on the Jeep. Went to the dealer for confirmation and the service department confirmed the items are actually not on the Jeep.
I don't know the history of your situation but if the vehicle was not like it was supposed to be I hope you did not accept it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.