Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I was thinking primarily US buyers when thinking of this, but anyone feel free to chime in.

So, as potential buyers, what are the criteria you will use to make your go/no go decision?

For me, there's going to be a few:

1) Do I fit. At 6'7", this is pretty much test #1 for any car. Jeep is historically awful at this, so I'm hoping fiat injected some common sense here. Visibility issues go here too. They are very often a "works for some, not for others" type of issue.

2) Availability. I just dropped a decent chunk on fixing up my current car, so a delayed launch will likely help protect me form myself money wise, but my car is just about 10 years old, and if something expensive goes, I'll probably have to pull the trigger on something else.

3) Crash tests. I don't require it to get the highest scores across the board (in large part because the tests pretty much reflect zero truly useful info for someone my size), but it does have to not crumple like a tin can.

4) HVAC controls and head unit. The HVAC controls in my current car are incredibly stupid. I'd like to not repeat that. The head unit has to not be inherently broken too. It's not like it has a CD player to fall back on worst case.

5) Looks. I'm optimistic here, but there have been cars that just look totally different in person than in pictures, and it may seem stupid, but I have to at least be not bothered by the looks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Manual Transmission

The main reason I even considered it was that it might be available with a manual transmission. Not all of us who want to drive a manual want a "driver's car" or weekend toy, rather a well-equipped daily driver. In my case, I like the SUV height and ground clearance. Another one on my list to cross-shop is the Honda HR-V, provided it is available with a manual.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Here is my short list:

1) Leg & Knee Room (no not like Raz-0) but at 6' 1" I drive with my left knee on the door panel and the right knew towards the center console. Is it comfortable or are there sharp edges that dig into me?

2) Head Room, do I feel like it slopes to quick to the windshield and hinders visibility?

3) Shoulder Room, comfortable, or narrow Honda 600 like?

4) Is there really much extra ride height, like a CUV/SUV is suppose to, so I can see beyond one car in front of me on the freeway?

5) Can I put up with the "LaneSense Lane Departure Warning-Plus" not being available on the Trailhawk, will they add it in year two?

6) Does it fell small and maneuverable on the outside and large and comfortable on the inside?

7) Does it get good gas mileage?

8) Does the 2.4 engine feel like it has enough power or wait for the hurricane engine?

9) Is the 9 speed transmission smooth and refined or does it grind like the 38 Chevy I restored years ago?

10) How is the ride comfort and wind noise?

11) Crash tests, is it as good as the Subaru Forester?

12) First year user reviews, great, love it, or bucket of FCA bolts always at the dealer?

Other vehicles I will cross-shop:
Jeep C-SUV
Honda HR-V
Subaru Forester
Toyota RAV4
Mazda CX-3

·
Registered
134 Posts
1) Price. If I have to spend more than $25K I'm buying a Wrangler, hands down.

2) Comfort. I'm around 6'3" and MOST Jeeps designed and sold since 2005 have been horrible as far as seating position, leg room, and head room goes. It's as if they designed them around a petite woman.

3) Price. The draw to a tiny Jeep is price. Most sane people will buy a more roomy, more capable Jeep with higher resale value unless they can save thousands on the tiny one.

4) Capability. Will this thing actually take me where I want to go? If not, why not just buy a car?

5) Price. If the TrailHawk is above $25K, forgetaboutit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
1. Quality. Coming from a Mazda I have high expectations for fit and finish and more importantly for durability and reliability. If it feels low rent I'll walk.

2. Drive feel. I'm not shopping a trail hawk since I want a manual and it needs to be fun to drive despite being a cuv.

3. Wrenchability. I haven't seen one of the multiair engines yet but if it looks impossible to work on in the driveway I will likely not be interested.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Having tested it I can tell you this:

1) space and headroom - I got impressed by the headroom, I am a small guy (5,8) but between my head and the headliner you can easily still fit a basketball, no kidding. I cannot say about legroom, it felt enough to me but I wouldn't put my finger on it.

2) Visibility: side mirrors are HUGE and with rear parking sensors as standard at the back there are no problems, pity that front parking sensors are not even optional because the bonnet is rather bulky

3) Comfort: the ride is still and sharp, yet soft enough not to bother, I reckon US versions will have a softer damper setup. The internal noise is reasonable despite the diesel engine, I noticed however a sensible wind noise above 62 mph. The built quality surprised me for the total absence of rattles during the ride still maintaining a luxurious-ish finishing of some interior details

4) Serviceability: I cannot really say about the 2,4L engine, we don't have it here and I don't even think Jeep will offer the 1.4 Multiair as in the US is barely considered a motorbike displacement :D

Hope I could shed some light for the fellows on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean...:nerd:

·
Registered
74 Posts
1 Everybody will fit. I'm 2 m tall and had no problems getting comfortable.

2 Fit and finish looks very good to the eye (didn't drive the car).

3 Visibility: A pillar is thick, but didn't bother me so much. The black box behind the rearview mirror did.

4 In real life the car doesn't disappoint stylingwise or sizewise. However, judging from pictures I liked the white and not so much the black. In real life I liked the black and not so much the white or silver. Best of all: the orange.

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great thread, super moderator. I've gotta think about this. This may throw me over to a Tesla.
Teslas are cool in their own way, but I have to say... that's a very odd cross shop. Not just the EV thing, price, layout, vehicle dynamics, etc. It's about as polar opposite as you can get.

One of the things on my radar if the renegade doesn't cut it is, possibly, a soul EV. We've been happy wit the soul we have, EV would rock on my commute, and the EV paint schemes are really nice looking IMO.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
3 Visibility: A pillar is thick, but didn't bother me so much. The black box behind the rearview mirror did.
Yup. Thought so. I've been watching alot of house renovation TV shows recently and may apply what I've learned about demolition to that rearview mirror box. But I won't be hammering that A pillar. It may have an airbag. :eek:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Do you mean Sarurn Vue??? Aura is a sedan, Vue is an SUV (probabably similar in size)
2009 Saturn Aura XE

I realize its a sedan, but the interior measurements legroom, headroom, etc. were nearly identical. So I figure it will be at lease that roomy. I imagine it will feel bigger inside because of the straighter front windshield and roof line.
could be apples and oranges comparison, but I figure if I fit in the Aura I'll almost certainly fit in the Renegade, at least I hope so.

·
Registered
64 Posts
first time looking into mazda, was curious about them especially with their new CX3 stepping into the ring with the renegade and i have to say, it could be one of the best competitors to the Renegade. Too bad there's nothing on it so far.

·
Registered
953 Posts
For me I am waiting to hear about quality. I am gonna wait for a few months and see if there are any recurring problems. I just don't want to be stuck with a car that has a problem that I could have avoided in the first place by buying something else.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Teslas are cool in their own way, but I have to say... that's a very odd cross shop.
This whole thread is dangerous. Its like the question "If you had a million dollars in the bank...would you be doing the job you're doing?"

Well, would you buy a Renegade? If no, then what is it that kills the deal? This is a touchy subject.

And if I had just a single hard earned million in the bank, I'd buy Tesla. (and a Renegade for bangin' around to save the Tesla). :)

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
All that I'm waiting to see is if I like it more than the new Cherokee TrailHawk (size, space, amenities, price, etc).

If I go with the Cherokee, I'm going with the V6 so I just hope that the Renegade doesn't feel lacking in power.

Quality is also high on my list (cabin noise, rattles, and squeaks drive me crazy in a new car).

There still a part of me that wants to say F it all and get a Wrangler Unlimited, but my finances (and my wife) might not like that as much!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Quality/reliability. If people are having a bunch of trouble with it, I won't want one. I'm looking to eventually buy the 4cyl version. I also want decent crosswind handling. If it handles anything like as well as my Element and doesn't break all the time, I will want it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.