Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth. I have had it almost two years and it currently has 44,000 miles. To put it politely, I have been disappointed in Fiat. I have had numerous issues like transmission oil leaks, coolant leaks, mystery engine codes that come and go, Side skirt separation a half a dozen times, nasty door rattle when turning left, stereo issues out the wazoo every time the temperature rises above 95F, phone blue tooth issues, voice recognition issues, and a right rear wheel that is badly out of alignment that can not be fixed.

I really want this Renegade but I am having a moral dilemma. I did wait a hole year before buying the Abarth just to watch for problem area's but I guess that was not long enough.

My new plan is to wait two years now. I also will have the alignment checked before I sign on the dotted line. Extended warranty and of course never pay mark up.

You can bet there will be mark up and IMO it is absolutely stupid to pay it. Might as well flush it down the toilet. I remember when the Abarth first came out, mark ups were as high as $10K and they are now giving thousands in discounts.

Just wondering, for conversation sake, what is your plan?

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Realistically, since I just dropped thousands on my Subaru for all the ~100k maintenance, I'm not seriously in the market for one until about July of next year.

My basic plan at the moment is if it originates in Brazil, to more or less run screaming from it. Barring that I'll probably lease and if it doesn't have problems, buy it out.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well, first of all I don't think there will be any mark-up on the Renegade in the U.S. With a half dozen other options just like this from other brands, Jeep will be happy to sell them at a low to moderate pace and they'll be selling for under sticker price.

Second, here in the States Fiat has had a horrible reputation for decades. Chrysler itself had a terrible reputation that originated with low quality and lots of transmission failures in the 1980s and 1990s. So put the two together and lots of U.S. citizens are going to be afraid of the Renegade. Jeep is going to have to step in and ensure that quality is high to earn trust from American buyers. Fiat jokes are a dime a dozen with the locals here.. any failures from this Renegade will only fuel that fire.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Realistically, since I just dropped thousands on my Subaru for all the ~100k maintenance, I'm not seriously in the market for one until about July of next year.

My basic plan at the moment is if it originates in Brazil, to more or less run screaming from it. Barring that I'll probably lease and if it doesn't have problems, buy it out.
IMO early vehicles (perhaps eve the first two years) come to us from Melfi, later Brazil becomes prime supplier.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Yup, I highly doubt there will be a markup on these. Being the vehicle it is, it's just not what would be happening, I will be surprised if some do try to charge a markup, great way to easily lose sales.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey indiana are you planning to keep the Renny well out of warranty? Otherwise extended warranty sounds superfluous (I only ask because you're already hopping out of a relatively new 500)
It's not a matter of time but miles. What I mean is that I do a lot of driving in my commute. My Abarth is not even two years old and I have 44K miles on it. The warranty for a Fiat is 4 years or 50K miles. So by the two year mark I will be well past 50K. I did buy the extended warranty for the Fiat for 7 years or 107K miles. so in the next two years I will have burned that up- which is the time I plan to buy, so it all works out well. Yeah, I will own the Abarth a short time but it will have a whole heck of a lot of miles.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am almost in same boat as far as vehicles. My wife got the first convertible fiat in Arizona back in late 2012, its a 2013 model. Only got 500 off as Fiat promised they would never discount their cars, just last weekend they had a sale of a flat 5000 off any car, 2014 or 2015. So the car I paid 28000 for will be lucky to trade in at 12000. so be it.
But as far as reliability, its been a great car, no problems at all, and she has 54000 miles on it now.
I have no problems with fiat, and welcome the renegade Trailhawk, as the next "cute ' car for my wife.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Whoah whoah whoah buddy... it's not "cute". It's manly and that's why I'll gladly park my TrailHawk next my wife's "cute" Buick Encore. ;)

All kidding aside, it is kind of "cute" next to a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.
It does have a certain cuteness to it like an old Honda.

Reactions: Willy and WXman

·
Registered
74 Posts
Automotive news

"During the ride home in the tow truck with my TR8 on the flatbed, I asked the driver what new cars he picks up and hauls in for service. Any Chrysler, Dodge, Ram or Fiat vehicles? “Nope,” the driver said, “I don’t see many of those.” He told me Mercedes-Benzes and BMWs account for most of the newer cars he extracts from the side of the road. Also, he said, cars that don’t have spare tires, just run-flat tires, also get towed frequently.

That exchange had me wondering about the phrase “poor quality” and what it actually means these days. Still, the meaning of “poor quality” has changed over the years. Twenty years ago, poor quality was probably a mechanical glitch that stopped a vehicle from operating or performing as needed. Now, it may mean just a rattle in the glove box or clunky electronics."

·
Registered
26 Posts
Never owned a jeep so this Renegade will be my first. I would like to get a Trailhawk, but have to see if it comes with all the options I want - like the lane keeping, driver assist stuff and such. As I get older it's apparent to me that these type options will come in handy. I plan on staying active as age, so will use this vehicle to get me to the trail heads and back. Since I'm living in Las Vegas I hope to get a light color with a light interior. If this Trailhawk only come in black interior, I may need to get some kind of seat covers or downgrade to another version.

Might wait a bit before purchasing because of my experience with the C6 Corvette. I was one of the first to buy in 2005 and found that in 2013 I could have had a much better car for the same money. Being an early adopter on this is not critical to me. However, if they start pricing it aggressively right from the start - I'm in. The fact that it's made in Italy is meaningful to me. The US dollar is really strengthening against the Euro so the pricing wonks at Fiat may factor that into the final decision on retail pricing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.