Jeep Renegade Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Renegade recently, and have been really happy with it. I bought it for my 32 mile drive to work, which about half of it is on 1-2 lane semi-remote roads, and the other half is on a highway.
Hi all,

My question concerns the 4WD mode. Is it safe for the car's health to use the 4WD lock snow mode for my entire 32 mile commute when the roads are covered in a few inches of snow, including the highway? Trying to research it online has been difficult!

Some websites (none specifically for Jeep Renegades) state that you should only use 4WD HI (equivalent) setting on tough snow patches, and others state that there is no documentation stating that you can't use it for extended periods and speeds. Is there a top speed that you should not surpass in this mode? Time duration? The route is pretty straight, there are maybe 5 turns the entire way. I did get the car up to around 50mph while on the highway in 4WD lock mode. Probably not the best idea.

Thanks!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I run my Renegade in Snow mode or 4WD lock when the road is slippery or covered in several inches of snow. If it is just a light dusting or the occasional snowy patch I just leave it in Auto mode.

Unlike traditional 4WD systems you shouldn't worry about driving your Renegade in 4WD lock. The wheels won't bind up on dry pavement, no matter how tight the turns. The only thing that might suffer is your mileage.

Reactions: dgr401
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.