Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
simple question. When should I use the 4wd Lock on my new TH?
I understand when to use the 4wd low but the 4wd lock is confusing me.

Thanks in advance guys.
:ReneBlueWave:

·
Registered
62 Posts
4wd lock is for any condition that you want the vehicle to drive all 4 tires at the same time. Typically Renegades operate as front wheel drive and engage the rear wheels if the front wheels begin to slip.
Simply changing the dial selector to snow, sand, or mud will engage the 4wd lock. The snow and sand modes provide different torque bias front to rear (along with changing the shift patterns) while the mud mode keeps a 50/50 "locked" bias.
Break down,
Auto: fwd until wheel slip occurs then 4wd kicks in, traction control on full alert
Auto 4wd lock: 4wd 50/50 torque bias with traction control and stability control on full alert
Snow: 4wd 60/40 torque bias for better stability, traction control set to snow parameters to allow a little wheel slip
Sand: 4wd 40/60 torque bias for better power delivery, traction control is very limited with stability control dialed back
Mud: 4wd 50/50 torque bias with traction control off and I would guess stability control mostly off
Rock: 4wd 50/50 torque bias with first gear engaged and rear differential locked

Hopefully this explains things enough.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
. . .
Rock: 4wd 50/50 torque bias with first gear engaged and rear differential locked . . .
Do you know for sure that the rear differential locks? I think the Grand Cherokee locks, but I didn't think the Renegade did.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Do you know for sure that the rear differential locks? I think the Grand Cherokee locks, but I didn't think the Renegade did.

I have not confirmed it myself.

All the documentation states this including the FCA Renegade rep I spoke with in Chicago. As I am told, it is an electronic locker only on the TH.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The lockers lock in Rock Mode. You can't even go into Rock Mode without engaging 4Low. And when 4Low is on, the lockers are on. 4Low also engages 4WD Lock.

You can keep the drive mode in Auto Mode. Then press the 4Low button on. So now you have the car in Auto Mode with 4Low on.

Then you can use the selector dial to change into any other mode and still have 4Low engaged. You can also be in any drive mode and then press the 4Low button.

If you try to go into Rock Mode the dial selector and 4Low lights will blink and not engage. While the lights are blinking, you can press the 4Low button and it will set in Rock Mode with 4Low on.

An annoyance to me is that you can turn 4Low on in park. The shifter has to be in drive or neutral (I think). To disengage 4Low you can be in any gear.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I understand how the 4x4 system and rock mode works. My question was if the rear differential has a mechanical lock. I don't think it does and believe the Renegade just uses the brakes to stop a spinning wheel thereby transferring torque to the wheel with more traction.

I read that the Cherokee with Active Drive II does have a differential lock but I'm not sure how that works either. As far as I know the Renegade (even Trailhawk) has Active Drive I.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I understand how the 4x4 system and rock mode works. My question was if the rear differential has a mechanical lock. I don't think it does and believe the Renegade just uses the brakes to stop a spinning wheel thereby transferring torque to the wheel with more traction.

I read that the Cherokee with Active Drive II does have a differential lock but I'm not sure how that works either. As far as I know the Renegade (even Trailhawk) has Active Drive I.

If you find out for sure, please update this thread so we all know.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
3,353 Posts

Jeep claims something in the rear diff like object can control torque distribution between the rear wheels. The presentation lights up part of the haldex like diff thing. So it may be a combo of the abs system and awd or esc system.

The info isn't real specific.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes it can. It has an electronic locker on the rear differential. It is quite large and comes in from the driver side of the differential. Wish i had a picture. This device helps mitigate power away from the wheel that is slipping (the path of least resistance) and to the wheel that has traction. I have a 2015 Trailhawk and have done more than should every be done in one of these things stock. Bone stock...it will amaze you. All above information is great. Use the selector for the kind of terrain you are in. Auto for pavement. If you are in some pretty serious 4x4 areas keep it in Mud mode (4Lock). This keeps your traction and ESC to a minimum. If you're just driving down a dirt road or driveway Auto(4lock) or even just (Auto) are fine depending on the road condition. Rock(4Low) mode is the ultimate beast when it comes to obstacles (20:1 ratio) but still not like my wife's Rubicon Hard Rock (73:1 ratio)....haha. I have very successfully made 2 trips to Hidden Falls Adventure Park (3000 acres, great hills, creeks, cliffs, trails, etc) and am shocked at the capabilities of this vehicle. I even managed to impress one or two Wrangler guys, which was worth it all! ;) Remember all modes other than Auto will engage 4Lock. So below is generally how i have used mine.

Auto - Daily Driving
Auto (4Lock) - Mild Dirt Roads, Jobsites, Heavy Rain, etc
Auto (4Low) - NEVER, what are you doing, if you are in a situation where you need 4Low, get into a proper mode.

Sand - On Sand, or any time off-road that a 60% rear bias would benefit you more than the ratio Rock mode offers.
Snow - On Snow, Ice, or any time a 60% front bias would benefit you more than the ratio Rock mode offers.

Mud - Ofcourse Mud, and the majority of my other off-roading and crawling that falls between Auto(4Lock) and Rock(4Low)

Rock(4Low) - 99% of obstacles, all rock crawling and even some mud situations. Works wonders!

**Use (4Low) as necessary in Sand, Snow, and Mud modes. But depending on the situation, keep Rock mode in mind.**

The above setup has been very successful for me. My Trailhawk has 4200 miles on it and MANY of those miles are in off-road situations ranging from very mild to "do we have a flare gun and extra food n' water?"....

My wife and I have a small Sand, Dirt and Gravel trucking company and I use the Trailhawk as my daily driver and for going to jobsites regularly. The electronic lockers are great and the sway bar is easy to manually disconnect. Overall this vehicle is super awesome, but does have certain off-raod limitations that the Wrangler doesn't have, and this is due to the other on-road abilities where the Renegade shines. It's a trade off, love them both.

-STOP THE WAR! - Renegade 'n Wrangler Love

·
Registered
196 Posts
Would love some advice on when to use snow mode/lock. I understand the concept - starting in 2nd gear, less slip .... but I'm driving the 1.4L manual. Does the computer change the torque in 1st gear with the manual? Also, I've read some posts about people using snow mode only when they're driving through 6+ inches, while using "auto" for a dusting or 1-2 inches. Thoughts? Anyone with the 1.4L have any advice/experience? Our winter this year in Chicago has been super-mild with barely any snow. There's always next year....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Break down,
Auto: fwd until wheel slip occurs then 4wd kicks in, traction control on full alert
Auto 4wd lock: 4wd 50/50 torque bias with traction control and stability control on full alert
Snow: 4wd 60/40 torque bias for better stability, traction control set to snow parameters to allow a little wheel slip
Sand: 4wd 40/60 torque bias for better power delivery, traction control is very limited with stability control dialed back
Mud: 4wd 50/50 torque bias with traction control off and I would guess stability control mostly off
Rock: 4wd 50/50 torque bias with first gear engaged and rear differential locked

Hopefully this explains things enough.
Great write up

·
Registered
198 Posts
Another question, Someone says that the 4WD Lock on Renegade has a speed limit, if the speed is too fast, there will be 2WD only. Dont'know if it's real or not.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Another question, Someone says that the 4WD Lock on Renegade has a speed limit, if the speed is too fast, there will be 2WD only. Dont'know if it's real or not.
No, you cant only change into 4wd lock inder 75mph. That's the only relevant speed limit I know of on these.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
No, you cant only change into 4wd lock inder 75mph. That's the only relevant speed limit I know of on these.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

So that means, once I change into 4WD LOCK, Renegade will keep 4WD under 75mph? How about over 75mph? will it turn to 2WD automatically? Or the speed will be limited to 75mph until I turn 4WD LOCK off?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts