Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I attended a "customer appreciation night" at the dealership where I got my Renegade. The night included a complete walk-through and demonstrations at the service department. The highlight for me was the demo of the diagnostics of a Renegade and detailed description of the vehicle by the service manager (who also drives one).

One thing shown was how a wireless diagnostics interface is connected to the Renegade. then how all the functions and minicomputers (there are many!) can be controlled wirelessly from a secured laptop. It also made it clear that certain function failures can be fixed by "reboot" or software reloading/upgrade wirelessly from a laptop, rather than hardware exchange by a technician. It is now obvious why these folk are called "service technicians" rather than "mechanics," based on the ratio of computer versus wrench time to fix a problem.

So, the Renegade is a compilation of minicomputers controlling darned near everything, and it has it's own "network" which can be wirelessly accessed for diagnostics, software upgrades and other maintenance actions, as well as those functions which can be driver-controlled during operation.. After seeing the "servicing" in action, I think I may need to add a decal to the hood (bonnet to some) saying "NCC-1701A."

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
That must of been very intertesting, something I would like to see. Sounds like this program would be a good customer relations event for all dealers to conduct but doubt that would happen. Thanks for posting the info.

·
Registered
430 Posts
You willingly went back to the dealer? You only do to the dealer for two reason. To buy the vehicle and if something goes wrong. I won't even let the dealer change my oil, mostly because it takes them three hours to do.

·
Registered
261 Posts
After seeing the "servicing" in action, I think I may need to add a decal to the hood (bonnet to some) saying "NCC-1701A."
I call mine "R2-D2"... :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You willingly went back to the dealer? You only do to the dealer for two reason. To buy the vehicle and if something goes wrong. I won't even let the dealer change my oil, mostly because it takes them three hours to do.
The local dealer has been a gem and has a great reputation. They publish a service price list for just about anythibg. For me, the first two years' service is included. The customer waiting area has WiFi, TV locked on ESPN, all sorts of beverages, hot dogs and popcorn. So many folk bring in their vehicles at 11AM, have lunch on the dealer, and drive away with a serviced vehicle, washed vehicle and full stomach. What's not to like?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Some dealers are great. Others, not so much. The service you receive can make all the difference.

My dealers' service has been very good (only needed them a couple times in the past for my other cars). They offer coffee but I never saw hot dogs or pop corn.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Oh good. Give some hacker or the police a way to wirelessly access my vehicle and shut it down while I'm driving!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh good. Give some hacker or the police a way to wirelessly access my vehicle and shut it down while I'm driving!
Not so easy. The service technician has to manually connect the wireless interface unit onto the Renegade. Only then (as it was explained to me) can the Renegade's "Network" be accessed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.